4-8 Players Surveyor

Discussion in 'WIP - Works In Progress' started by nakala1972, Aug 8, 2013.

1. nakala1972

nakala1972 Forerunner

Surveyor is an derelict geological survey ship abandoned by its crew for reasons unknown.

It currently supports KOH, Oddball, Regicide, all Slayer variants. There are some close quarters areas as well as larger spaces and some longer lines of sight. Initial tests have gone well but highlighted a few flaws. Here are the new screenshots.

Overview

[​IMG]

Loadout Camera

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After a few tests this map has undergone some changes that I will detail below. I look forward to more testing Tuesday nights. Thanks again to the TCOJ for the testing lobby. It is laid back and always fun. You guys are great.

You can find it here: File Browser Halo Official Site

Everyone please feel free to leave any feedback you may have below. I look forward to your thoughts. Thank you.

#1 nakala1972, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  2. Maximus IL

Maximus IL TCOJ

There was no shortage of action, so that was good. I don't recall playing much in green . . . but I was having a terrible time aiming (happens to me a lot), so I was more concentrated on that. Even with that, though, I think green was underutilized. I do recall backing up into a couple of things that stopped me unexpectedly. I don't remember specifically what they were, but looking at the screenshots, at least one of the times could have been the bridges out of red/blue. You might want to consider flipping those over; the railings don't seem to be necessary there, and not having them would allow easier jumping from the bridge to the platform so you could come up on the platform in different spots rather than always at the exit of the bridge.

3. nakala1972

nakala1972 Forerunner

I'm considering a redesign of the bases to fix that. I am also trying to find a way to bring green into the action and add another way up to green other than the lift. Spreading the action my be as simple as redistributing the ordinance. I'll gladly take any suggestions on how I can accomplish this.

4. Audienceofone

Audienceofone Forerunner

Elevation and weaponry are powerful motivators. Either or both would work, but you never want to emphasize all places, for then there is no struggle for power. I learned this while trying to make a 1v1 a few months ago. There was so much balance there was no reason I ever wanted to go anywhere. the map was fine, but not very fun. Emphasize some places, make others weaker, and be sure to have weapons spawn in places where you want traffic. Hopefully that helps.

5. Juanez Sanchez

Juanez Sanchez Ancient

SURVEYOR played 27.8.13
    This is your best map yet in terms of layout and movement. Its dark and a bit spooky which is good, but I think you should try and let some light in on the top level to break up the gloom. You can easily use a trait zone set to zero movement and high gravity to deter escapees. The core thing with shields is broken, DBD squeak thruster packed through it then got stuck. You can always counter this with a killzone inside.. The area made from the 4way large base with the drop down is fun to fight over. So although this does have an aesthetic basis as a spaceship, its also quite competitive in design.

6. nakala1972

nakala1972 Forerunner

After some initial testing I had made changes to both bases, fleshing them out making them more of a base not just a spawn area. I have also completely redesigned green forgoing the lift and the very campable dead end room at the top as well as giving a bit more room to maneuver at the bottom. I have also made small changes in weapon placement in an effort to get players to utilize more of the map. I also created a pass through from a dead end to create more paths and prevent funneling all players spawning in the bases through the same area.

I have made several new changes, and added a fresh crop screenshots, after another week testing. I tweaked weapon distribution and spawn times. I fixed the one way shield thruster pack exploit with a killzone in the reactor area. I also changed the roof to give some light to the upper level as well as adding partition and tinkering with their locations. A few aesthetic additions round out the changes.

I'll post some new action shots after this week's TCOJ.

7. Fauch

Fauch Ancient

I didn't even see what changed :surprise: I think we were too many on the map this time (weren't we like 10 the first time and 12 the second?) at some point I had drops of framerate when there were many people on the screen. there were also 2 holes in which I kept falling. weirdly, that didn't happen the previous time.[​IMG]

8. nakala1972

nakala1972 Forerunner

It was quite crowded this week. This is really a 4v4 at the maximum, 5 is too many. The spot you were falling into was part of the changes I made to the blue and red sections. I have changed it back to put more floor in the higher traffic area. I think the extra player had a lot to do with the frame rate but I removed the shield doors and Impact cores to help reduce it even more. Fauch, most of the changes I made were minor ones in red and blue and changing the ceiling to let more light into the upper floor to help visually distinguish it from the lower floor and break up the gloom. I think the dappled light breaks up the gloom nicely but actually adds to the spookiness. I did correct a bit of unevenness in the symmetry, moved a few spawn points and changed the bit of aesthetics stated above to try to fix the frame rate issue.