Remake subterrane.

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by alreadyRogue, Oct 4, 2011.

1. SPL4TTERMAN

SPL4TTERMAN Forerunner

Nice, but the various views and pictures don't really give an idea of how the map connects, I might suggest posting a layout illustration of the map. The map itself lookks really good, the cave theme fits very well.

2. Rho Fs

Rho Fs 2x2 Forge Judge

Looks great! Glad to see some quake seeping into the community. I take all credit :p

If I still played, I'd download it.

Digging the aesthetics too. It is definitely reminiscent of quake, with a hint of halo.

3. The Muppet King

The Muppet King Ancient

Might I say this is damn nice post. I'm surprised you posted this when this was Blaze's map to begin with. I have never played on this map which might explain the emptiness in my life. We should get together and play on this especially since, for some reason, I can't download maps. Anyway, great map and should be a solid candidate for FHF and maybe even Feature if the throwdown wasn't happening.

4. RightSideTheory

RightSideTheory Legendary
    Forge Critic Senior Member

The post would have been much better if you resized all the images so the annoying resize bars didn't pop up every few pictures.

5. Blaze

Blaze Sustain Designer
    Forge Critic Creative Force Senior Member

Very nice post man, I'm glad to have picked you up on the way of making this. :)

@splatterman, I'll try and do something with a layout picture. It's the easiest map to ever get the hang of.

6. Zigywig

Zigywig Forerunner

This post made me dizzy lol.

On to the map, I really love the aesthetics and I like how each room has it's own theme. I might consider DL-ing this.

Also, is it me or am I starting to see more Quake maps?

7. alreadyRogue

alreadyRogue Forerunner

Thanks man, I completely agree with you (glare at Blaze) that the pictures cannot capture the quake-ness of the map, as well as all the aesthetics.

Haha, you can take a lot of the credit, but not all of it ;)

I could have sworn we played on it before. Oh well, thanks for the very kind words nonetheless. I do feel like this map is quite interesting from many standpoints so as much attention as possible for it would be absolutley amazing!

I believe I fixed it. I cannot see those resize bars because I turned them off in options, but I believe I have fixed them now. I also added some mouseovers for the download links.

Get your friend to make a sweet one that I can incorporate into the post.
    Likewise man, I'm so happy I got to help you out with this one, probably my favorite map to date.

Its not just you, its catching on like wildfire

8. Skyward Shoe

Skyward Shoe BTB Legend

I'm still getting resize bars, though they can't hide how good the map looks! Also, your mouse over download links both lead to the gametype, might wan to fix that.

Seriously though, very sexy design!

Edit: Rouge, your sig confused me for a second, as I got a free map pack from a friend a while back. I was wondering when my friend changed his name and became you all of the sudden. :)

#9 Skyward Shoe, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  9. alreadyRogue

alreadyRogue Forerunner

Fix'd now. And yeah aesthetics became a huge focus of the map so im very excited that you are all enjoying them :)

10. iTz Longshot

iTz Longshot Ancient

ohey, i saw this map playing quake3 and in the preview thread. I did like the quake make, looks pretty sexy from the pictures, and I will download and check it out. If im ever on, I would like to get a game on it with you Rogue. Good job guys. If i see anything that stands out, ill say something.

11. J HaDlEy 616

J HaDlEy 616 Ancient

This map looks great, I can tell so much work has gone into the asthetics which adds to the feel of the map. I've only had a look round at the moment so I'm not sure what it plays like but it seems like it would be a lot of fun. It would of been nice to see more of the map from the pictures on the post, although it was a masterfully crafted post as it is. I'll feedback more when I've actually played on it lol.

12. Ticky

Ticky Forerunner

Very fun and fast paced map. 1v1 was extremely fun on here, as well as 2v2, besides the framerate, but I'm sure you fixed that by now. Hopefully we could get some more games on this beast.

13. Hulter

Hulter ^Raindear

Ok. I went through this in a custom game and noticed some z-fighting and a few other pretty bad things.

The pyramid you have as ramp to the sniper room is not the best piece to use right there. My problems with it were that, since the glass becomes invisible when under the water, it feels pretty stupid to walk up by it, and also, the water isn't completely still and every now and then, the top part of the glass bit gets under the water and turns invisible. That makes it flicker. I suggest you replace it with a tower, 2 story turned upside down. That would look pretty good.

And, just remove the lights. They don't serve any purpose. It looks way cleaner without them. I don't mind te FX though.

The wall made out of green coloured tunnel pieces doesn't match the orange one very well. It doesn't even make a lot of sense in ways of callout areas either, I mean, it's the same room anyway. It looks really dirty and it would look better if it were orange.

Some of the rocks in the little window, in the same area are coming through the window, and that looks really sloppy. I'd do something about that.

And yeah, why on did you forge it on a 45 degree angle and why did you not keep the objects mostly on cordinate? Would have been easier.

Oh yeah, and the 1x1 tall and thin you've got as holder for the GL should be replaced, IMO. It's a bit clunky and in the way. It completely stops you when you walk into it, as if you were going into a wall. Movement in the area would be smoother if you replaced it with a teleporter frame.

#14 Hulter, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  14. alreadyRogue

alreadyRogue Forerunner

Thanks for all the good comments everyone :)

There shouldn't be any z-fighting on the map, We did a pretty good job of getting rid of that.

We will definitely look for alternative pieces to the pyramid in that area so that we don't get any of those issues in that area.

The lights serve to add to the quake feel of the map, as well as lighting up the top half of the cave mouth, the light is ABSOLUTELY necessary.

That wall is yellow... and why would you need to call out on this map, its 1v1?

Ill move some of the rocks back so that it doesn't poke through the glass, I don't know why you would call the window small, its actually quite huge.

The map had to be put at a 45 degree angle so that there was enough sandy bottom to cover the whole bottom level. Even if it was at 90 degrees, we still probably wouldn't have used co-ordinates because they are for newbs.

Thanks for the thorough review, and I know it sounds like i'm just refuting all your points, but i'm really not, and I appreciate the fact that you were able to check out the map.

15. Blaze

Blaze Sustain Designer
    Forge Critic Creative Force Senior Member

Yes thank you everyone for the comments. This comment all seems completely opinionated so I wouldn't worry about sounding like you are refuting them.

I am interested in seeing some pictures of the z-fighting though. So please post it. the rocks are the way we liked them, we had them many other ways and that looked best in our opinion and it doesn't effect gameplay so we really aren't too worried bout that. For the co-ordinates, almost every object is just because it wasn't one of the choices doesnt mean we didn't use them and it is all clean with no recognizable bumps and such so why does it matter exactly. Either way, thank you for your opinion.

16. Hulter

Hulter ^Raindear

And fix the GL holder.

17. Frozenlynx

Frozenlynx Forerunner

That's where you said the window was small.

Forging only on 90 degree angles is for newbs. Co-ordinates will only get you so far before you need to adjust everything with nudging, otherwise you'll end up with massive gaps when you do get around to it, which means more work to fix it all.

Anyways, I've been too busy with school to really play Reach lately, but this is one map I'd definitely like to get a game on. The aesthetics are off the hook and hopefully the game-play is equally impressive. The Stunt Ramps were pure genius.

18. neverendinghalo

neverendinghalo Forerunner

19. X2Sora

X2Sora Halo 3 Era

I LOVE this map. The two games I have had on this map were extremely fun and enjoyable. Now I cannot express the accuracy of this remake because I have never played Quake, but remake or not this map looks and plays amazing.