Strongside

Discussion in 'WIP - Works In Progress' started by Fenix Hulk, Dec 15, 2012.

1. reaper3bot0

reaper3bot0 Forerunner

Well the tunnel could use maybe something like a 1x1 block or half a strut for cover anything really for runners as it seems like a long line of sight from the picture in page 3... Now that I seen that last screenshot thou with the banshee pad Im assuming your going to allow warhogs or mongooses threw that tunnel...??

BTW if you want a video for this just save one of your gameplay videos and upload it to your fileshare. Message me on my youtube channel with the name of file and tag and Ill be more then willing to record it and upload it to youtube for you..

#61 reaper3bot0, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  2. VII

VII Promethean

THIS.

Also, Tycho is out of his damn gourd. Don't let him get to you though, that's just how he acts, all the time.

Anyways, awesome map dude. Looks great, very well thought out. Everything is distinct and uncluttered, but not too open, which not many people seem to be able to pull off on larger maps like this lately. Can't wait to play some matches on here. Hmu if you're gonna be playing this anytime soon. Cheers.

3. Fauch

Fauch Ancient

the link to halo 3 maps doesn't work.
    I noticed 2 or 3 overlapped textures. I think one of the places was a bridge, made of rather dark items, not sure if they were 5x1 blocks...

4. FinalEndeavor

FinalEndeavor Ancient

Where exactly do you think blocks or some object should be placed at down there? the tunnel is on a slant downward until it meets in the middle at the hammer spawn. So you cant necessarily shoot from the complete opposite side(also there is a power core object that hangs down in the middle blocking some LoS). Of course if you are both fighting on one end then its a little different. Its mainly used as a quick getaway for a hog or mongoose when carrying the flag.

#64 FinalEndeavor, Dec 17, 2012
  5. Fenix Hulk

Fenix Hulk Ancient

I agree with you and probably will use some crates or something just to give a little cover down there. The LoS isn't long but there are alot of battles that take place in the tunnel when someone jumps down there with the flag and some small details can make a big difference.

Also, I really appreciate the support and recording and uploading a video for me, that would be awesome and will probably wait closer to the final version of this to do just that. Thanks again!

A picture or being more specific would help, thanks. Just saying some of your textures are overlapped doesn't help anything. The catwalks are not overlapped and connected by magnets... if that's what you were referring to. I know The garage area has some "texture meshing" if that's what you were referring to as well as the top of the stairs at the main base. That will be fixed for final version.

Here you go, here's the Halo 3 maps:
    Gatekeeper
    Tribal War
    Prometheus
    Red Cell

#65 Fenix Hulk, Dec 17, 2012
  6. Fragsturbait

Fragsturbait Forerunner

Wow, what a map. I downloaded and flew around in forge for a minute just looking at everything. You've got some skills man. Aesthetically this map is beautiful. The prefabs look like they're built from scratch, and are flawlessly incorporated into the map. The structures you actually built from scratch look like prefabs. Especially the sniper towers, it took me a minute of looking at them to actually figure out how you built them. The way you built your ladders into the map is genius. Sign me up for some testing, I've got a few of my own I can bring to the table, but I'd love to see if this plays as well as it looks.

*edit* I know that somewhere in seven pages you posted your GT and what time's you'd be testing, I just can't for the life of me find it (probably because I'm too lazy to look) But my GT is also FragsturBait, so friend me up and I'll be more than happy to jump in if I'm on and you need testers.

#66 Fragsturbait, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  7. FinalEndeavor

FinalEndeavor Ancient

UNSC Fenix Hulk is the GT. We try to test everyday so add him hit up with a message if you want to help out.

#67 FinalEndeavor, Dec 18, 2012
  8. Fenix Hulk

Fenix Hulk Ancient

Well I'm glad you love the map, spent a lot of time on it, lol. I sent you a FR on Live. I send out a mass text of testing time everyday over Live to everyone who is interested in testing. I probably won't do one today but will for sure being doing one tmrw. One session around 12pm (central time) and another 4pm (central time). Probably do about 3 games per session. It will also be updated with the changes that need to be made as well. Again thanx for the comment and appreciate you wanting to help test!

9. FinalEndeavor

FinalEndeavor Ancient

Looking forward to testing with these first updates. Should help out a lot especially down in the tunnel.

By the way, the link you put for viewing more screenshots on the first post does not take you to the right page in the forum thread. Theres no screenshots on that page.

#69 FinalEndeavor, Dec 18, 2012
  10. reaper3bot0

reaper3bot0 Forerunner

UNSC Fenix Hulk

Ok so finally got some time to download and check it out myself. I was totally dead on about the tunnel needing cover for runners.
    Here are a few other issues I noticed.
    -Red side the stairs (unsc 2 story) up to the base if your facing blue side is Z fighting threw the corner 4x4 really distracting. (not happening on blue side)
    -dont know if intended or not the giant gravity field for the chain gun towers seems to be protruding well outside the 4x4 tall blocks
    -Long line of site issue from capture flag plate on top of base to UNSC tower on each side of base red and blue. (might be intended but its super long)
    -probally due to forge some pieces were unaligned and made for sprinting stops.
    -center bottom circle spot where the killball is located around the silo in the corners you cant get on to silo without jumping as missing maybe incline bank pieces to smoothen it out.

Layout 10 out of 10
    Nice aestetics 10 out 10
    glitches pieces / issues rated 8 out of 10.
    Budget completely used on this version.
    Fun rating 10 out of 10.

Overall rating 9 out 10.

Last question who is Machete WM and whys it say they are the Author and not you?

11. FinalEndeavor

FinalEndeavor Ancient

I believe he got the named changed. Machete WM used to be his old gamer tag and it probably kept it saved as that name instead of the new one.

#71 FinalEndeavor, Dec 18, 2012
  12. Fenix Hulk

Fenix Hulk Ancient

-Red side the stairs (unsc 2 story) up to the base if your facing blue side is Z fighting threw the corner 4x4 really distracting. (not happening on blue side)
    I'm tracking this and plan on fixing it as well as z fighting in the garage floor of each base

-dont know if intended or not the giant gravity field for the chain gun towers seems to be protruding well outside the 4x4 tall blocks
    You can't change the size of the gravity field so I placed the excess toward the back of the tower and it only sticks out a little.

-Long line of site issue from capture flag plate on top of base to UNSC tower on each side of base red and blue. (might be intended but its super long)
    I know about this but I like the idea that you can shoot people camping the roof from afar.

-probally due to forge some pieces were unaligned and made for sprinting stops.
    Are you referring to the support beam above the catwalk, if so that was intended because it's suppose to be a support beam and not a catwalk on top of a catwalk... so if you choose to cross on top it gives you a slight disadvantage by having to jump. If you're not referring to that, where are you referring to?

-center bottom circle spot where the killball is located around the silo in the corners you cant get on to silo without jumping as missing maybe incline bank pieces to smoothen it out.
    I can fix that.

Last question who is Machete WM and whys it say they are the Author and not you?
    I changed my gamertag to UNSC Fenix Hulk. I was Machete WM when I started this map. For proof, just try to look up that gamertag and you will find that it doesn't exist.

13. reaper3bot0

reaper3bot0 Forerunner

Are you referring to the support beam above the catwalk, if so that was intended because it's suppose to be a support beam and not a catwalk on top of a catwalk... so if you choose to cross on top it gives you a slight disadvantage by having to jump. If you're not referring to that, where are you referring to?

nope just all over such as the outter edge and what not but its prob a forge issue Ive been seeing this start to happen on a few of my maps after saving as well... did u use magnets or coordinates?

You can't change the size of the gravity field so I placed the excess toward the back of the tower and it only sticks out a little.

Is the gravity field really needed then cant you just stick with the trait zone?

#73 reaper3bot0, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  14. Fenix Hulk

Fenix Hulk Ancient

Yea it's probably forging with the 1 point rotation on the Yaw. Also yes the gravity field is needed to pull off that flawless ladder. If you stack to trait zones on top of each other the just counter each other which has no effect. The trait zone is already @ 50% gravity (the lowest) and not strong enough so the gravity field helps finish it off nicely. The excess isn't really that big of a deal because it's off the ground enough to where the people on the road can't use it and if you do use it, it's only effective behind the tower make makes no advantage. The only way to fix it is make the tower 1.5 times wider and that'll make the tower to large.

15. reaper3bot0

reaper3bot0 Forerunner

If you set the trait zone at 300% jump height and 50% gravity it doesnt make it?
    damn.

16. Fenix Hulk

Fenix Hulk Ancient

Jump height has no effect on a ladder. A jump has to be initiated for jump height to count. With a ladder, all you do is hold folder and go up it and the 1-way shield pushes you up. The sniper tower height is close to about 4 times normal jump height so 50% gravity off a slight push is not going to get the job done with only a single 1-way shield. You can only have a total of 6 1-way shields and I have 6 ladders on the map. :) Most people use 2-3 shields per ladder, I figured out how to do a tall ladder with just one... minus the low grav field behind the tower.

17. IIIX MATT XIII

IIIX MATT XIII Forerunner

You mean angling the shield 5 degrees from vertical? Yeah, that's been around for 2 years now.

18. Fenix Hulk

Fenix Hulk Ancient

What are you referring to? I never forged in Reach, kinda been deployed to Iraq and busy with army. So sorry if I'm not caught up with all the tricks... :p Haters be hating.

19. Spicy Forges

Spicy Forges Ancient

Oh wow, someone knows how to promote their map! You are quite an artist sir, both in construction of that beautiful looking map and them smooth graphics. Amazing. I also love how its slightly asymmetric, breaking up the usual dullness of a symmetric map.

20. Starship Ghost

Starship Ghost Promethean

Map is sick! Your presentation and photoshop skills are excellent as well. Great job bro and Thanks for putting in those Banshees!