Stratos

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by Theomus, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Theomus

Theomus Forerunner

[​IMG]

UPDATED
    Most Recent: v1.5

• Adjusted soft-kill zones
    • Adjusted structure placement & choice (removed texture conflicts)
    • Adjusted load-out camera
    • Adjusted bottom man-cannons
    • Added more respawn points
    • Replaced railings next to middle man-cannons with double windows

v1.4

• Adjusted bottom level. Roof over teleporter now split. Teleporter now goes directly into man cannon at lower level (Teleporter blocking now impossible)
    • Adjusted soft-kill zones
    • Adjusted colors of structures (Now show up for FFA games)
    • Adjusted explosives distribution
    • Adjusted aesthetics distribution (cones, chairs, crates, etc.)

v1.3

• Rebuilt whole level, removed most texture conflicts
    • Adjusted man cannon areas towards top
    • Removed 3-plots, crazy king, infection, safe havens and territories (They all sucked on this map)
    • Adjusted bottom level (removed texture conflicts)
    • Cleaned up spawns, now completely symmetrical
    • Switched sides of base health stations
    • Reduced recommended max players to 8

v1.2

• Added bridges/railings towards middle man cannons
    • Adjusted rocket launcher clip amount
    • Changed bottom teleporters into man cannons (lead to same area)
    • Adjusted middle area to better suit man cannons from bottom
    • Adjusted spawns in Infection
    v1.1

• Added couple more zones in Safe Haven.
    • Changed clip amount & initial spawn settings of snipers/shotguns.

Map Origins

Going in to making Stratos I had the idea of having a two level map that acted as a type of intertwined intersections. You would have an intersection up top with the 4 bridges collapsing on some kind of middle ground, then you would have a similar level below it, only rotated 45 degrees. As such, if you were looking directly above you saw two sets of intersections, kind of like a spiral. It's there where I started, eventually fleshing out the middle level so much that the bottom and top levels that would eventually accompany it acted more like extensions of the middle level than separate entities altogether. I was alright with this. When adding the top level, as you're about to see, my friend commented on the feel you get going up as similar to going to the top of the tower in Spire in that "you feel like you're suddenly rushed to the top of Everest." This comment, for some reason, made me think of the levels of our atmosphere. It is there that I borrowed from the second level of our atmosphere (Stratosphere) and named the map "Stratos".

Map Details
    Stratos is a medium-sized, close-quarters, largely-symmetrical (with some aesthetic exceptions) arena centered around a large tower and based on one major level with two more minor levels sandwiching it. These levels are connected by man cannons, a teleporter and some jumping options if you're going from middle to bottom. The map is compatible with most standard gametypes, including all slayer, CTF and assault variants. Special variants of FFA such as KOTH and Juggernaut are also available. While I did build the map with Slayer/CTF in mind, the other gametypes play just as well and are just as enjoyable. And while I did design the map to hold 16 players for team games and 8 players for FFA games, I give the recommended size at 2-12 players.

Weapons List/Details

• 2 Plasma Pistols @ 30 Sec
    • 2 Magnums @ 30 Sec
    • 2 Spikers @ 30 Sec
    • 2 Needlers @ 30 Sec
    • 2 Needle Rifles @ 30 Sec
    • 2 Plasma Repeaters @ 30 Sec
    • 4 DMRs @ 30 Sec
    • 2 Snipers for Team (Initial Spawn) / 1 Sniper for FFA (No Initial Spawn) Both @ 150 Sec
    • 2 Plasma Grenades @ 15 Sec
    • 2 Frag Grenades @ 15 Sec
    • 1 Shotgun (Initial Spawn for Team, No Initial Spawn for FFA) @ 120 Sec
    • 1 Gravity Hammer @ 150 Sec
    • 1 Rocket Launcher (No Initial Spawn) @ 165 Sec
    • 3 Health Stations @ 15 Sec
    Pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: This is one of two lifts that takes you to the top, the other being directly the opposite side.
    [​IMG]

Top has a teleporter, which leads to...
    [​IMG]

...here!
    [​IMG]

That then leads to the rest of the bottom area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The teleporter from top isn't the only way to get to the bottom, though. This area allows for easy drop-down.
    [​IMG]

Special Thanks:
    PhazerLazer3000 (Constant input helped all over)
    Falinmor (General testing was useful)
    Ethereus (Conversation about power weapons very constructive)
    spleeeeeeeeeeen (General testing)
    GlobalTrance (General testing)
    RagTagBag (General testing and input)

#1 Theomus, Oct 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. Falinmor

Falinmor Forerunner

As an early tester I'm glad to finally get around to this map. It motivated me to join up on forgehub and browse around! But yeah, I've only played v1.3 so far and I loved the changes you made in that version so 1.4 looks solid. The layout is simple yet dynamic. The man cannon and weapon placement makes it feel like the fun, fast-paced arena I think Reach's maplist is missing. A must-keep for sure :D Glad to have helped you test it early on and sorry it took me so long to get back to you on