(Sticky) The Book of Conquest

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Maps' started by Indie Anthias, Sep 12, 2008.

1. DimmestBread

DimmestBread Ancient

is there a list of certain weapons you can or can't use. I'm testing my map that I made on guardian and I have a feeling you can't use a flamethrower even though it works.

2. G043R

G043R Ancient

I said no" because its not really fair ... it needs to be both sides can use the same weapons at the same times.. almost like a competitive weapons... So anything goes as long it works fair... but Flamethrowers...i wouldn't suggest it..

3. DimmestBread

DimmestBread Ancient

So there shouldn't be like a central weapon where the central territory is?

4. G043R

G043R Ancient

There hasn't been a setup like that before.. is all i'm saying.

5. DimmestBread

DimmestBread Ancient

oh ok I get what your saying now. I'll keep testing it to see if any problems arise.

6. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Yeah, you could do that, but it would be best to choose a weapon that you could lower the ammo count, or use something similar to what FuriousD18 and Wakko45 did with their Conquest map, and that was to use the Custom Powerup in the central territory.
    My recommendation would be to use something that isn't so dominating for close range fights, like a sniper rifle. But if it works for you and your testers all agree that a flamethrower fits the map, by all means use it. Despite what the creator of the gametype has iterated, the maps supporting the Conquest gametype should be up for interpretation as long as they adhere to the basic principles of it.

7. DimmestBread

DimmestBread Ancient

Ok, and its also set to not respawn. If anyones interested in helping me test a guardian conquest map send me a message.

8. xSharpshooter94

xSharpshooter94 Ancient

thanks for adding Quadrivium. We worked hard on it and added a few aspects that allow for a player to have more options then just run in, adding a bit of strategy to the game.

9. Silent oo death

Silent oo death Ancient

the only thing wrong about this is that you didn't include HalfBrian's map Foundry tunnels Conquest, which, in my mind, is the best conquest map ever made

10. Indie Anthias

Indie Anthias Unabash'd Rubbernecker

check again... it's there

edit: New section up: How to build a Conquest Map. Blame Dom for the frilly language.

(Thanks Dom, you know I love you)

#50 Indie Anthias, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  11. Ray Benefield

Ray Benefield Godly Perfection
    Forge Critic

I apologize for the disappearance... life kinda gets to you... as well as Armored Core... anyways... I like the book Predicide, very well done. Lots of dedication and very nice to look at.

I'll be working on a new rendition to Conquest v3, but will probably release a Conquest v4 to show how I would have evolved it... I gotta kinda see how things went with Conquest v3 lol... I do kinda miss the 75% damage... longer battles makes for more interesting games. Oh well, the community has spoken other, so let it be so... off to brainstorm and see what's happen with my old hangout...

12. Whisper

Whisper Ancient

I think Conquest is perfect as it is. Anything you change can only serve to make it less of a 'classic', in my opinion.

13. Indie Anthias

Thanks AZN, I'm glad you approve. V4 would also be good to have, I'm sure you can contribute to the variation we have going on, and at the same time get back to the true roots. The 75% damage was definitely a defining factor of the original, I kind of missed it at times.

If you end up doing v4, I'll probably have to re-work the Game Types heading a bit, maybe throw in a little bit of history.

14. ShaddoBlade

ShaddoBlade Fuzzy Little Man Peach

I just now am getting into Conquest, and therefore dl'd all of the maps in your "book." thought you should know that Cliffhanger does not work with conquest v3... and i dont see how it could work with any versions seeing how it only has one territory in the middle of standoff, not actually the conquest map. And i believe that Zion is no longer on the maker's fileshare. just thought you should know so you can update your "book." nice work with it tho. :)

15. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

Well I'm gonna have to do a poll on who wants what for Conquest v4... I am participating in the conquest contest so I will work on it while working on my new conquest map. Kinda sad that I gotta catch up to you new guyz and ur geo-merging and interlocking... but I've got some good ideas for it that some may like. So if I wanted to do a poll on whether the damage should be normal or 75%, where would I do it... this new place confuses me. I miss FH 1.0 and 2.0 :'(

16. Indie Anthias

@Shaddo: Yeah, I kind of knew about those. Honestly, I just link to the FH post here, the actual file is the author's responsibility. That way, even if the links go down, at least people can see what's been done before. Also, if a map is updated, the author can update his post himself. Although.. I do remember playing both of those before, so who knows what's going on with Cliffhanger. It had functioning territories when I played it, who knows.

@AZN: To tell you the truth, I'm not sure where the best place would be. I think any board is capable of burying good topics now 'days. The best I can offer is either Halo Discussion or Halo Forge Discussion. I'm pretty sure V3 is locked in for the contest, though. Either way, if you decide to do it, it will get listed here.

17. Waylander

Waylander Ancient

One would hope so. From the sounds of it V4 will play differently than V3, so weapon placement would be different.

Would give him a heads up on the rest of us lol.

18. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

Oh snap... I didn't mention that the release of v4 would be after the contest if there was any release... I'm not an @$$ peepz... lol. Well maybe...

But I'll see what I can do. It won't play extremely differently I just think alot of people haven't played the original version, and the original version had more prolonged battles due to less damage, it made for a more tactical game, cuz if you were good enough you could hold the territory just long enough for your team to come help again. It forces more teamwork and less lone wolf play. With the current version... one good sniper can win you the game. In the old version it took 2 headshots... so the sniper HAD to work with someone to get a kill normally, unless he was pro enough to pull off the two shots. It encourages some people to grab 1 plasma rifle to support their other members and became a key weapon. In the new one people die too fast so the plasma and a few other weapons aren't on the same level as the brute shot and the sniper rifle. The point is weapon balance...

19. luckiesnipes

luckiesnipes Ancient

Heres one I posted today
    Rat Race
    Its on rats nest

20. Grave Robber

Grave Robber Ancient

Hmm I'm surprised there's not a map on narrows yet, narrows is symmetrical in every way.........