(Sticky) MLG Standards and Posting Rules

Discussion in 'Halo 3 MLG Maps' started by Shock Theta, Aug 21, 2008.

1. xXdrewbaccaXx

xXdrewbaccaXx Ancient

LOL.
    Personally I don't see why the prefix MLG is a big deal when posting your map.

If it were posted on a map forum that doesn't have an MLG sub-forum, you'd put the MLG there to let people know it's an MLG map.

Just because it's there doesn't mean it's accepted into rotation by MLG, that's just making assumptions.

2. GCLimited

GCLimited Ancient

I Love MLG so mutch and i love the foundry maps there great :p

3. iTs_NeXn

iTs_NeXn Legendary

This is all my opinion.

Just because its an MLG map doesn't mean you can't get creative.
    Just because you're making it for MLG gametypes doesn't mean it has to be a symmetrical 2 base map like Onslaught.

Try to be creative when you're making an MLG map as if you were making a normal map for default play.

Tips:

2 Base + 2 Towers + Middle = MLG.
    Seems like everybody thinks this way when it comes to MLG maps.
    Just because the first foundry map that got picked up (Onslaught) was a 2 base symmetrical with mirrored towers DOES NOT mean that the only way MLG will pick up your map is to do the same thing with a slight variation.
    Please, get creative here. I really am tired of looking at all the MLG maps and seeing this map style over and over again.
    Don't get me wrong though, 2 base maps are great for competitive play, but try doing something crazy and original.
    Do some asymmetric maps or a room based symmetrical one or just something unique.

Too many jump ups.
    Yeah, 3-4 tactical jumps can be good, but when you have alot of jump ups the maps flow starts to get random and everybody is everywhere.
    I'll use MLG Onslaught as an example;
    How do you think the map would play if the dumpster jumps were removed? The whole flow of the map would change, because now you have to get up to one of the corners of the bases to reach the towers.

MLG's weapon set is final.
    Its not. If you want to get creative with the weapon set, go ahead.
    You think a spiker would work on your map? Try it.
    A shotgun instead of a mauler? TRY IT.
    The only weapons you shoud avoid are the turret, missle pod, flamethrower, fire grenades and fuel rod cannon and of course equipment.
    With equipment though, if it works for your map competitively, go for it.

Teleporters.
    Just because none of the current MLG maps don't include teleporters DOES NOT mean that you can't use them. If your map supports it, use them.
    MLG was even testing Isolation with teleporters for v6.

Gametypes.
    Just because MLG doesn't currently have gametypes for territories, 1 flag, ect.. DOES NOT mean that you can't make an MLG map with those gametypes in mind. If you have a good MLG 1 flag or territories map in mind, do it.
    Make your own gametypes for your maps, whatever they are.

Yeah, thats most of it. Just please, get creative on your maps.
    -NeXn

4. Insane54

Insane54 Ancient

Mods, I wouldnt consider that a necropost, it added alot of new content to the discussion. Just FYI.

I do agree with that nexn, but I think the thing everyone wants is their map in the MLG playlist. Chances are pretty much impossible, but its what people seem to look forward to when they make an MLG map...and I think that's why people are unwilling to change from that, because all the current MLG playlist maps have only that set. Not that it justifies it, but seeing it from their point of view, I think thats why we see so many similar maps.

5. Reidypeedy

Reidypeedy Ancient

ok im working on an MLG map right now and are the power ups supposed to be get able or half way threw the wall so u cant acually pick them up(or how do u make them non pickupable again) any way yea

6. Leoparddude

Leoparddude Ancient

They have to be half way through so you cant pick them up.

Any TY for putting up this so MLG maps posted will be much more MLG'ish

7. OG Shank Sinatra

Thank you for posting this = ) i've been wondering what weapons to use.XD

8. abandoned heretic

you know how people put the box in the crane then make a second one with window pannels for mlg maps is that required or no cause im making a map that doesnt do that but the way its setup you cant get on top of it

9. xNx21x

xNx21x Ancient

wheres the pics for the map???????????

10. McPebbles

McPebbles Ancient

MLG maps can only be on normal and heroic

11. tacoss joe

tacoss joe Ancient

i don't mean to offend anyone, but don't you think "MLG" is kind of pathetic? Major league gaming, it's a video game for christ sake. Some people take this way to far and its pretty sad.

12. tR Siickness

tR Siickness Ancient

Some of my friends are saying there's this unwritten rule where MLG maps shouldn't have man-cannons or grav lifts? Is this true?

13. Dow

Dow Ancient

Of course not. Guardian, Narrows, Construct, and The Pit all have lifts/man cannons.

14. Chuck A Duck

Chuck A Duck Ancient

now wait so would it b a big deal if there was one plasma pistol in a mlg map (ooo say witha 90 second respond?) would this just ruin the map or wat? is it worth putting it in the map?

15. Jaya

Jaya Ancient

its a pretty simple kill if you have one.. usually they are placed on the map to counter the customs powerups and even then i wouldn't suggest putting it on any map.

16. parkin21

parkin21 Ancient

plasma pistols are usually only put on a mlg map where a sword would spawn in a regular competitive map

17. Spaceneil8

Spaceneil8 Ancient

Wrong.

The weapon setup is completely up to you. Just don't add anything ridiculous.

18. Mister man 1217

Mister man 1217 Forerunner

How could a Plamsa Rifle be allowed? It is an Automatic Weapon.

19. Vicious3745

Vicious3745 Ancient

Are there any guides for MLG maps in Reach yet?

20. Ladnil

Ladnil Ancient

Settings are due out within a week.