(Sticky) Complete Gametype Description: Conquest

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Maps' started by Ray Benefield, Mar 27, 2009.

?

Which Conquest version do you enjoy playing?

1. [B]Conquest v3[/B]

25.5%
  2. [B]Conquest[/B] (v4... no version number because of standardization)

43.6%
  3. I enjoy playing both for different reasons.

23.6%
  4. I do not like to play [B]Conquest[/B].

7.3%
  1. Ray Benefield

Ray Benefield Godly Perfection
    Forge Critic

[​IMG]
    Created by: AZN FTW

---Download Conquest---
    (This is Conquest v4, but due to it being standardized now there is no version number)

Conquest Overview

Conquest is a territories gametype that is made to represent the constant push and shove of frontlines during war time. It was designed to focus ALL combat around one choke point at all times and require teamwork to progress forward. There is almost no chance to flank a team. To progress forward you must present more brute force than your opposition.

Back Story

The sun sets after a long day of treking for the soldiers. Setting up operations in this part of the city in particular was a risky decision yet a necessary one. With one entry/exit point the squad would be able to setup less guards and allow the soldiers more rest for the next day's journey. As the soldiers finish their stew a voice comes over the radio:

"Alpha Squad do you copy? Alpha Squad report!"

"Sir, Pvt. Parts reports as ordered!"

"Pvt. Parts, this is Capt. Crunch at Outpost Golf. We have orders for you to execute your main objective of securing key points in the city. We have word that there is an enemy platoon approximately 5 miles from your position, with this same objective. You are to take your squad and secure more points than your opposition. Keep in mind soldier, that controlling the center most point is key to holding a firm position and controlling the majority of the city. Do not loose hold of your control points or we will loose control of the city and must retreat. Do you understand your objective?"

"Yes sir, we're on it!"

Pvt. Parts returns to the rest of his squad in haste. They are already putting on their new body armor and helmets.

"Get your asses in gear... we don't have time to lolligag. You can gear up as we move."

And with that he grabs his pack and walks towards their first control point. He turns to look at the new sniper of the group, watching as he slowly gets up he states:

"Oh and Billy... remember that they, like ourselves, have that new anti-sniper helm. Don't try to be a hero..."

Gametype Specifics

• 10 second Territory Capture Time
    • No Lock after capture
    • No Friendly Fire
    • 75% weapon damage
    • Custom PowerUp - 50% leech
    • Indestructible Vehicles
    • No Vehicle Use
    • Synchronized With Team Respawns
    • Respawn on All Territory Captures
    • 10 second respawn
    • 3 second Invulnerability on spawn

TERRITORY CAPTURE TIME
    Code:
    10 SECONDS
    ONE-SIDED TERRITORIES
    Code:
    DISABLED
    TERRITORIES SETTINGS
    LOCK AFTER CAPTURE
    Code:
    DISABLED
    SUDDEN DEATH
    Code:
    NO LIMIT
    RESPAWN ON CAPTURE
    Code:
    ALL CAPTURES
    DEFENDER TRAITS
    SHIELDS AND HEALTH
    DAMAGE RESISTANCE
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    SHIELD MULTIPLIER
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    SHIELD RECHARGE RATE
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    SHIELD VAMPIRISM
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    IMMUNE TO HEADSHOTS
    Code:
    UNCHANGED

WEAPONS AND DAMAGE
    DAMAGE MODIFIER
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    GRENADE REGENERATION
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    INFINITE AMMO
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    WEAPON PICKUP
    Code:
    UNCHANGED

MOVEMENT
    PLAYER SPEED
    Code:
    UNCHANGED[/b]
    [code]UNCHANGED
    VEHICLE USE
    Code:
    UNCHANGED

SENSORS
    MOTION TRACKER MODE
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    MOTION TRACKER RANGE
    Code:
    UNCHANGED

APPEARANCE
    ACTIVE CAMO
    Code:
    UNCHANGED[/b]
    [code]UNCHANGED
    FORCED COLOR
    Code:
    UNCHANGED

ATTACKER TRAITS
    SHIELDS AND HEALTH
    DAMAGE RESISTANCE
    Code:
    UNCHANGED[/b]
    [code]UNCHANGED
    SHIELD RECHARGE RATE
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    SHIELD VAMPIRISM
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    IMMUNE TO HEADSHOTS
    Code:
    UNCHANGED

WEAPONS AND DAMAGE
    DAMAGE MODIFIER
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    GRENADE REGENERATION
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    INFINITE AMMO
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    WEAPON PICKUP
    Code:
    UNCHANGED

MOVEMENT
    PLAYER SPEED
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    PLAYER GRAVITY
    Code:
    UNCHANGED[/b]  
    [code]UNCHANGED

SENSORS
    MOTION TRACKER MODE
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    MOTION TRACKER RANGE
    Code:
    UNCHANGED

APPEARANCE
    ACTIVE CAMO
    Code:
    UNCHANGED[/b]
    [code]UNCHANGED
    FORCED COLOR
    Code:
    UNCHANGED

WEAPONS AND VEHICLES
    PRIMARY WEAPON
    Code:
    ASSAULT RIFLE
    SECONDARY WEAPON
    Code:
    NONE
    WEAPONS ON MAP
    Code:
    MAP DEFAULT
    GRENADES ON MAP
    Code:
    MAP DEFAULT
    VEHICLE SET
    Code:
    MAP DEFAULT
    INDESTRUCTIBLE VEHICLES
    Code:
    ENABLED
    CUSTOM POWERUP TRAITS
    SHIELDS AND HEALTH
    DAMAGE RESISTANCE
    Code:
    UNCHANGED[/b]
    [code]UNCHANGED
    SHIELD RECHARGE RATE
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    SHIELD VAMPIRISM
    Code:
    50% LEECH
    IMMUNE TO HEADSHOTS
    Code:
    UNCHANGED

WEAPONS AND DAMAGE
    DAMAGE MODIFIER
    Code:
    UNCHANGED[/b]
    [code]UNCHANGED
    INFINITE AMMO
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    WEAPON PICKUP
    Code:
    UNCHANGED

MOVEMENT
    PLAYER SPEED
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    PLAYER GRAVITY
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    VEHICLE USE
    Code:
    UNCHANGED

SENSORS
    MOTION TRACKER MODE
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    MOTION TRACKER RANGE
    Code:
    UNCHANGED

APPEARANCE
    ACTIVE CAMO
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    WAYPOINT
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    FORCED COLOR
    Code:
    UNCHANGED

GENERAL SETTINGS
    NUMBER OF ROUNDS
    Code:
    TIME LIMIT
    Code:
    3 MINUTES
    BASE PLAYER TRAITS
    SHIELDS AND HEALTH
    DAMAGE RESISTANCE
    Code:
    100% (NORMAL)
    SHIELD MULTIPLIER
    Code:
    NORMAL SHIELDS
    SHIELD RECHARGE RATE
    Code:
    100% (NORMAL)
    SHIELD VAMPIRISM
    Code:
    DISABLED
    IMMUNE TO HEADSHOTS
    Code:
    DISABLED

WEAPONS AND DAMAGE
    DAMAGE MODIFIER
    Code:
    75%
    PRIMARY WEAPON
    Code:
    ASSAULT RIFLE
    SECONDARY WEAPON
    Code:
    NONE
    GRENADE COUNT
    Code:
    NONE
    GRENADE REGENERATION
    Code:
    DISABLED
    INFINITE AMMO
    Code:
    DISABLED
    WEAPON PICKUP
    Code:
    ENABLED

MOVEMENT
    PLAYER SPEED
    Code:
    100%
    PLAYER GRAVITY
    Code:
    100%
    VEHICLE USE
    Code:
    NONE

SENSORS
    MOTION TRACKER MODE
    Code:
    NORMAL MODE
    MOTION TRACKER RANGE
    Code:
    25 METERS

APPEARANCE
    ACTIVE CAMO
    Code:
    OFF[/b]
    [code]VISIBLE TO ALLIES
    FORCED COLOR
    Code:
    OFF

RESPAWN SETTINGS
    RESPAWN TIME
    Code:
    10 SECONDS
    SUICIDE PENALTY
    Code:
    NONE
    BETRAYAL PENALTY
    Code:
    NONE
    LIVES PER ROUND
    Code:
    UNLIMITED
    ADVANCED RESPAWN SETTINGS
    RESPAWN MODIFIERS
    SYNCHRONIZE WITH TEAM
    Code:
    ENABLED
    RESPAWN TIME GROWTH
    Code:
    DISABLED
    RESPAWN ON KILLS
    Code:
    DISABLED

RESPAWN TRAITS
    DURATION
    Code:
    3 SECONDS
    SHIELDS AND HEALTH
    DAMAGE RESISTANCE
    Code:
    INVULNERABLE
    SHIELD MULTIPLIER
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    SHIELD RECHARGE RATE
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    SHIELD VAMPIRISM
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    IMMUNE TO HEADSHOTS
    Code:
    UNCHANGED

WEAPONS AND DAMAGE
    DAMAGE MODIFIER
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    GRENADE REGENERATION
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    INFINITE AMMO
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    WEAPON PICKUP
    Code:
    UNCHANGED

MOVEMENT
    PLAYER SPEED
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    PLAYER GRAVITY
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    VEHICLE USE
    Code:
    UNCHANGED

SENSORS
    MOTION TRACKER MODE
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    MOTION TRACKER RANGE
    Code:
    UNCHANGED[/spoiler]

[B]APPEARANCE[/B]
    [spoiler]

[B]ACTIVE CAMO[/B]
    [code]UNCHANGED
    WAYPOINT
    Code:
    UNCHANGED
    FORCED COLOR
    Code:
    UNCHANGED

TEAM CHANGING
    Code:
    NOT ALLOWED
    FRIENDLY FIRE
    Code:
    DISABLED
    BETRAYAL BOOTING
    Code:
    DISABLED

Conquest Map Checklist

Detailed Map Creation for Conquest

A Conquest map is traditionally setup with one linear path, this path does not need to be symmetrical. Each team spawns at their end of the path. Each team is placed an equal distance from the center territory and every territory on their corresponding sides. Every part of the map represents the battlefield, hence there should be a territory covering every inch of the map's floor. Every territory should be able to be captured with your team while passing through that particular section of the path with minimal or no pause time before transitioning to the next territory, an easy way to accomplish this is to ensure that all of your territories are touching (IE don't have huge spaces between territories). This allows for smooth combat flow with minimal interruptions until one clashes with opposition.

Transition between sections of a map are normally represented by a door or a turn or something similar. These transition points are made to be particularly narrow to allow very few people to pass through at one time. The actual sections of the map are made a bit wider, but not by much. This allows the whole available team to spread out while giving the opposition little to no space to pass through. It is frowned upon to have parts of the map where players may not be visible, but are still close to the entry way for the territory. In certain situations this may be allowed when sacrificing something to access that spot. A good example of this would be a corner that is close to the doorway that you can hide in and cannot be seen from the territory on the other side... this is because it allows you to utilize trickery and assassinate any who enter while still keeping the ability to contest the territory. This is HIGHLY discouraged in the center territory and should be utilized with caution if at all in any other territory... the center territory should be focused on brute force rather than trickery.

[​IMG]
    Spawns are pretty simple for a map like this... follow basic spawn facing and positioning rules for each individual spawn point. As for where to put them, Predicide explains it pretty well in The Book of Conquest.

Weapon Loadout

As for the weapons, the point of Conquest is to present constant pressure on your opponents to push forward. To support this purpose we use rapid fire focused weapons with little single shot power. The only weapons present as powerful single shot weapons are either because of difficulty of use or the unavailability of the weapon. Here are the notable weapons for Conquest:

• Brute Shot
      • One of the allowed power weapons. Due to the mass amounts of CQC and the choke point focus of Conquest the Brute Shot has the power to wipe out multiple foes making it a weapon to cherish in Conquest. Recommended placement is in the first territory on each side. This is so that if the opposition gets the second territory on your side you can fend them off with this power weapon.
    • Sniper Rifle/Beam Rifle
      • Due to the decreased damage resistance, you are no longer able to kill with one headshot. Despite that this is still a power weapon in the right hands, use it to completely wipe shields while staying out of direct combat. This weapon is also suggested to be placed in the first territory on each side for the same reasons.
    • Spike Grenades
      • One of the power weapons of Conquest. Sticking someone is still a one shot kill making this a lethal weapon. It is alot easier to stick someone in these close quarter situations as well. And the narrow hallways make it great for sticking to walls. It is preferable to place this in the first or second territory for each team. And preferably only present in one pair.
    • Frag Grenades
      • Because of lessened damage these aren't very powerful. However they are a much better grenade to use on maps with a lot of corners, jumps and verticality changes.
    • Plasma Grenades
      • A good replacement for the Spike Grenades for wider conquest maps.
    • SMGs
      • A mainstream weapon in Conquest maps due to it's massive clip size and it's effectiveness in dual-wielding and CQC
    • Spikers
      • Another mainstream weapon of Conquest maps... this weapon is less accurate with range, but due to it's blade it is highly useful in the collision of the two teams.
    • Plasma Rifles
      • These are mainstream, but almost considered a power weapon due to the lessened damage in Conquest... eliminating an opponent's shields followed up with a headshot is more desirable than most options in many situations.
    • Magnums
      • These make for a quick firing easily accessible headshot weapon. Very powerful when paired with plasma. You can normally find these weapons as last ditch effort weapons near the center territory.
    • Plasma Pistol
      • Not a common weapon in Conquest, but it has a similar purpose as the plasma rifles. But due to it having to be charged first, it is less desirable in high pressure situations.
    • Battle Rifle/Carbine
      • Again because of less damage in Conquest, these popular weapons aren't as powerful as they are in normal gametypes. However they serve as a good headshot weapon when someone else on your team is utilizing plasma weapons.
    • Needler
      • This is a unique weapon... because Conquest maps are specialized in linear paths with many turns and sections a Needler could be nearly useless as people could take cover quickly. However in wider/longer territories a needler can become a power weapon due to it's ability to "stack" damage quickly and delay instant kill.
    • Mauler
      • This weapon has not been fully tested yet... if the mauler does not kill in a shot/beatdown instantly then it is fair for conquest. If you have any information on this after testing it please PM me...

Weapons that shouldn't be on Conquest maps, mainly due to their one shot capabilities or their overpowering of other mainstream weapons on Conquest:

• Shotgun
    • Rocket Launcher
    • Fuel Rod Gun
    • Sentinel Beam
    • Flame Grenades
    • Energy Sword
    • Spartan Laser
    • Gravity hammer
    • Flamethrower
    • Missile Pod
    • Turrets

A note on equipment... use it sparingly. Here is a good quote from rusty eagle that sums it up.

#1 Ray Benefield, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009
  2. Master Debayter

Master Debayter Ancient

Even if it may be in the wrong place, it's a very well written guide to Conquest. After reading through this entire post, I find it better than the information in the Book of Conquest. AZN has presented in an easily understood and organized fashion that even members new to the gametype can understand.

By the way, is this a description for Conquest v4? It's because I read that you can no longer kill with just one headshot with the Sniper Rifle/Beam Rifle and I don't remember that factor in v3.

3. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

Please read the post carefully, I refer to the Book of Conquest in my post... this gametype was originally created by myself and I felt that the community would benefit from a full on description on how to build a proper, smooth gameplay Conquest map. This description is FAR more detailed than the Book of Conquest.

Yes this is for Conquest v4... I will add in a "History of Conquest" when I get home from work today. Until then here is the complete amount of differences from v3 to v4:

• I kept the no friendly fire that is present in v2 and v3 because with choke points controlling friendly fire is difficult, so I kept it removed
    • I returned to the 75% weapon damage. Yes this may increase the amount of beatdowns, but the types of kills are not important. Due to overwhelming amounts of forces at a choke point one needs more meat to survive 2-4 people shooting at them. Also this removes the one headshot capabilities of sniper rifles. This makes snipers a support weapon rather than a power weapon.
    • The Custom Power Up was changed from 30 sec invulnerability to 50% leech. The reason for this is that invulnerability makes it a one sided battle rather than just offering an advantage. 50% leech allows you to last a bit longer while attacking, but isn't as big of an advantage due to the fact that you will have multiple people shooting at you. However it is still an advantage. 75% damage and this both support the "more meat" factor that you need to survive long enough in a territory to enjoy the game and have an effect.
    • Because Conquest is a team focused gametype, your respawns are synchronized with your team. If you die and a teammate is about to spawn in 3 seconds, you spawn with them. This increases both teamwork and bruteforce.
    • Another respawn change is that you spawn whenever anyone captures a territory. What this does is reset the battlefield so that both teams have equal opportunity to attack the new frontline. However, the team that won the territory that caused the respawn has troops already at the next territory, that is your advantage for winning the last territory.
    • Respawn time was increased to 10 secs as supposed to 5 due to the new respawn traits to give a team the reward for eliminating another team and having a bit more time to capture territories.

Also I am aware that this isn't the exact perfect place to place the information. However, Conquest maps are all competitive and this would serve well as a sticky later. I informed Creeping Death of my actions and if the staff feel the need to move this then go for it... however, I strongly believe that if there is a gametype prefix there needs to be a stickied description of the gametype for those that don't know what it is. Or atleast have a gametype section for all gametype related threads... like we do over at our site.

And this is a full copy and paste from our site. For those that don't know I also copy and pasted the newest version of The Cellars.

4. Gunnergrunt

Gunnergrunt Ancient

Its good to see make it to ForgeHub. It would have definitely helped everyone out during the Conquest Forgeoff! There are a few things in there that I had not even known about, such as touching territories. I plan on using this guide to perfect all my conquest maps, starting with Of the Essence. And i agree with Master up there, this is much easier to understand than the book of conquest, mostly because its a simlified summary. Once again, a big thanks to AZN

5. Soren515

Soren515 Ancient

I <3 your conquest guide AZN

6. Bartoge

Bartoge Ancient

The thing I like about this more than the Book of Conquest is its more detailed for map makers, even though you told me most of this before I read it. To me, the only "fair" equipment in Conquest is the Deployable Cover. Everything else, changes the flow of the game or is useless in conquest, like the Radar Jammer. I think the flare might work, depending on the map. But AZN, would you call a deployable cover a radical conquest idea? I've heard many opinions, but I think your would count the most.

Anyway, I could easily see many people using this information wisely, and making great conquest maps because of it.

7. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

The only time I would consider this a bad idea is in maps that are extremely narrow like The Cellars... if there is any entry way that is the same size or smaller than the deployable cover then it should not be utilized in that map... otherwise wider places would probably be a nice thing to try... but it does add an extra obstacle and could obstruct the flow of combat... as for flares, you don't walk into your own flare... it makes people stop moving for a bit... again another flow disrupter... it's completely up to you, just make sure you completely test it...

8. What's A Scope?

What's A Scope? Ancient

I am just seeing this now. Great job, AZN. Hopefully there will now be more WIN conquest maps than FAIL. Testing some of those contest submissions was brutal.

9. Yevah

Yevah Ancient

Nice guide dude ive been working on a way to make an asymetrical conquest map, (is it possible i have no idea) i have been working on it forever and its been so hard.

lol another sticky

10. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

Yes it is possible, Ellement and I will be releasing our Orbital one and then we will be building a cold storage one and ghost town one using proper Conquest techniques... the trick to asymmetrical is to make sure the timing to get to each territory is the same and you balance the advantages of the different sections... I am also going to edit the guide cuz we are deciding to remove Forward spawning period from conquest...

11. Kilr0n

Kilr0n Ancient

yay! No offense but i hated the forward spawning! This will be way better

12. Yevah

Yevah Ancient

yeah i understand the firs tand second territories but its hard to make the odd territory to were both teams can get to it evenly

13. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

The easiest way to do it is have a single start point for each team... the best would be the farthest point for each team... take the shortest path you can through your main path counting how many secs it takes. Then take the final number and split it into the size of the territories (in secs) that you want (remember they don't all have to be the same size, they just have to be the same size as the territory exacly opposite it for the other team). I suggest making your territories atleast 5 secs long (can be shorter, but highly recommended otherwise).

The whole balance between cover and stuff is completely up to you to try to figure out what's fair though...

14. Yevah

Yevah Ancient

Yeah im working on it, im still in the forging process, but there will probable be a lot of testing for it, I've never seen an asymetrical conquest map on foundry so im trying for the first

15. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

If you need some help we can get the XF certifiers for Conquest to look through it.. currently it is just Ellement and myself, soon coyote and gunnergrunt will be fully trained up as well. Just PM me...

16. Yevah

Yevah Ancient

ok thanks for the offer, i think it needs a little more work before its even ready to be shown to others

17. Bourbon

Bourbon Ancient

Quick question: Does "all surfaces" include ramps as well? Like say I have two square platforms. One is on the grid, and the other is floating one double box above it. Do I need to put a territory on the ramp, or just the platforms?

18. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

It suggested that you make sure the territory cover the ramp... the main reason for this is because when you are fighting to keep the territory you want to stay in the territory, so you will not utilize the ramp to fight for the next platform. And also it enforces they continue walking without having to stop and capture a territory...

19. NlBBS

NlBBS Forerunner

Wow, until reading through this guide i had a mediocre understanding of Conquest. Now i have a slightly better idea on what weapons should be used and how a map for conquest should be constructed. Much appreciated AZN