Some weapons are pointless

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Melvin, May 19, 2009.

1. Melvin

Melvin Ancient

Does anybody feel that specific weapons in Halo3 are really worth playing with. Example, the plasma rifle or the spike grenade.

2. used man

used man Ancient

spike grenades kill banshees and hornets and hogs in one hit.

3. Goober

Goober Ancient

Plasma rifles tend to drain your shields pretty fast...

4. STWOW

STWOW Ancient

Fix'd

And both of those weapons have points, plasma rifles are actually my favorite weapon, just specifically bad ones are the spiker, and (compared to the BR) the carbine.

5. Okage4

Okage4 Ancient

I wouldn't say the Carbine is useless, it can beat a BR easily in close-to-mid-range combat.

Anyway, what do you mean Plasma Rifles and Spike Grenades are useless. Like Goober said, Plasma Rifles drain your shields pretty fast, so they're very good as supporting weapons. And, yeah, spike grenades kill most light vehicles in one hit, PLUS they're absolutely monstrous in tight hallways and doorways.

#5 Okage4, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
  6. MetaWaddleDee

MetaWaddleDee Ancient

Every weapon has a time and place

The plasma rifle is basically a longer range slower mauler, because 3 shots and a melee is a kill
    so if you wait around a corner you win.

spike grenades have a lot of vertical range and ricochet and have almost an entirely different use than the other grenades (i.e. throw them at the top of doorways so they explode on the entering enemy, rather than throwing it at their feet.

7. Y35 <3

Y35 <3 Ancient

Your right about your small paragraph there, but where did you get the carbine from?

8. RaVNzCRoFT

RaVNzCRoFT Ancient

Spike grenade's damage spread is inconsistent and unpredictable at times. That's always bothered me.

9. EGP

EGP Ancient

No weapon in halo3 is worthless. All weapons have its time and place in the world of halo3. Carbines are not worthless, if you are skilled with one it kills faster than I BR. Three shots of a plasma rifle can take out enemy shields. Name on weapon you think that is worthless, right, there is none.

10. Okage4

Okage4 Ancient

to The Official Y35, I was responding to STWOW.

anyway, the Spike Grenades are pretty much useless out in the open if you don't stick someone, they're meant to be used in tight places so that all the spikes are able to bounce around and do more damage, which is the reason why if you throw a spike grenade in a bubble shield and stay inside, you die.

Er, I actually think the Spiker is pretty much worthless. Sure, damage-wise, they're the most powerful Dual-wieldable weapons, but the bullets are so slow and the spread is so random and all around retarded, that it's pretty much impossible to hit anyone that isn't standing still or is right next to you.

11. aMoeba

aMoeba Ancient

I must disagree with the spiker hate. Its my favorite weapon, even single wielded.

Fast reload, fast melee, sandtrap range, vehicle destructibility.

On those last two points you guys may be confused as I once was too, but if you go into sandtrap, or a darker map (so you can see the spikes when they shoot) they go all the way across maps. whenever I get narrows multi flag I always grab dual spikers and shoot them to the other side where their flag is. And most shockingly vehicle destructibility. I once was playing social BTB and a banshee came right up to me, blasting me and shooting fuel rods at me. I used the spiker and kill it in a few seconds, mind you it had full health. No joke. If you're desperate for proof, its in my share.

12. used man

used man Ancient

that's because they'r anti vehicle.

13. Nemihara

Nemihara Ancient

You're absolutely right, unless you stop to think about the magnum. ;D

14. Okage4

Okage4 Ancient

Orly, it's good for destroying vehicles? I didn't know that, thanks for the info. I'll try it next time I go into BTB or some other playlist with vehicles in it. I can save some AR ammo or something =/

The magnum's not too useless, it can beat an AR as long as every shot hits.

15. aMoeba

aMoeba Ancient

Well, its the best regular weapon you have for it. I'm basing my assumption off of the fact that I've destroyed banshees and ghosts quite easily with the spiker - however it may just be a trend with covenant vehicle. I'll check this out later.

16. EpicFishFingers

EpicFishFingers Ancient

I wouldn't say pointless, I would say under-rated.

Dual Plasma Rifles always beat an Assault Rifle.

17. Glasgow

Glasgow Ancient

This thread is fail. All weapons in Halo 3 are the bestest.

But which one is the worst?

18. Willmatic

Willmatic Ancient

The spike grenade is a great last second trap in corridors creating a swarm of lethal spikes.

The plasma rifle is great for taking shields and is better than a AR in the shoot then melee scenario.

The spiker IS useless though, it has a arc so the spikes will fall, alone it doesn't do ****, and the SMG is a all around better weapon than the spiker.

#18 Willmatic, May 20, 2009
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
  19. Transhuman Plus

Transhuman Plus Ancient

O.K, seeing as no-one has mentioned it I will. Sentinel beam. It would go awesome in MLG.

20. Dreaddraco2

Dreaddraco2 Ancient

The Sentinel Beam is my favourite weapon. It's the longest, most accurate weapon in-game. It even beats the sniper rifle at accuracy.
    Also, the spike grenade is the only explosive (Fire-Bomb doesn't actually explode) completely sticky grenade. Plasma grenades bounce which give them a different use.
    If you notice, spike grenades are lighter, they travel further too. This makes them perfect for anti-vehicle, ground or air.