SKYLINE CANVAS

Discussion in 'Map Discussion' started by Hillel, Jan 13, 2016.

1. a Chunk

a Chunk Blockout Artist
    Forge Critic Wiki Contributor Senior Member

There are already around 200 pieces used (I assume they were necessary to get to, and to map out, the forge-able space. The only other difference I noticed between this and the official forge canvases is that fog doesn't work.

thefro3po and Hillel like this.
  2. Robert Cosper

Robert Cosper Legendary

i figured out how you did it, and broke also the other covenent map not truth but the other. take a inv barrier, dupe it and place your self in front of the first and boost through, it will take you out of bounds without dying

3. Hillel

Hillel Legendary

That's not how I did it, but if that trick worked for you then kudos

4. Lazy Animator

Lazy Animator Legendary

Cool I can't wait to try this out. One thing I really don't understand: they gave us the ability to use all objects on all maps but there's these boundaries keeping us boxed in. I wanted to forge outside eden and the rig but gave up because there's all these killboxes you can't delete. Thanks for finding out the secret.

5. Hillel

Hillel Legendary

Yeah man, I feel the same way. I get having kill zones default for keeping gameplay tight, but if there are actually areas that you can building outside the map boxes, I don't see why they didn't just make the kill zones editable on the non canvas maps. I don't think we've ever had an urban/city skybox to forge on and although I love the space and natural terrains they've given us, I wish they would give us something like this one.

Lazy Animator likes this.
  6. Robert Cosper

Robert Cosper Legendary

i always found it to be a game i play, each game had different ways of breaking the maps and finding the areas of forgable space, halo reach a teleporter was all you needed, halo 4 using spawn point glitch and teleporters could gain access, halo mcc had no real interest in breaking the maps, but instead focused on glitching the lighting, now in halo 5 you can dupe item boost....which there is a promise to, above the sand dune map is a 26x26 using 128x128 block area above regret there is a 13x13 using 128x128 block area, teleporting out of the underwater map gives you a decent size medium map to work with, however the whales seem to break your map so you have to forge above their path, other wise your game will freeze. with NO LIGHTING BUDGET used....makes fora very profitable and sizable area on 2 base maps to use, and they will be my default maps from now on. Point is 343 is making it a game as well, and you know what, its much more satisfing if you feel like you are bieng naughty

7. iTz EnViiOuS

iTz EnViiOuS Legendary

Would you mind informing us of the items used so we can delete them?

EDIT 5:
    TLDR; He didn't delete the items of Eden first, easiest way to delete them is through select all as the teleporter trick seems to not work due to invisible barriers around the map.

I decided to not delete the previous edits to be as transparent as possible however I am retiring for the night as I don't wish to spend that much time to clear the map.

EDIT: He didn't delete the item's off eden prior to making the "Canvas." You can delete these either remotely by spawning one and then selecting "Select all of..." in item properties or by getting back into the map, which is simple enough using a teleporting and some time. As a tip, when using select all place an item above your head as you will be repositioned into a kill barrier.

EDIT 2: By selecting all and then deleting the item you can see for a fraction of a second the distance of the item on the normal map. I recorded it and froze it on the frame showing about 1500 distance from the "Canvas". I have a screenshot of the items still on the map through a sniper scope and a teleporter up to where he has the invisible barriers placed, as well as a video showing me selecting all and deleting a few items to show the distance on my account if it is needed.

EDIT 3: My theory of showing the distance may be incorrect, experimenting for a bit but about to sleep due to class in the morning and it being 2am.

EDIT 4: Reviewing the clip again shows that my theory was indeed wrong, will get back in the map through trial and error teleporter placement instead.

#27 iTz EnViiOuS, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  8. iTz EnViiOuS

iTz EnViiOuS Legendary

They were not, they are items that are just on the map prior to him escaping the map. In order to delete them all you have to either get back in the map or select all from outside the map. I'm halfway there getting back into the map but its still ridiculous that it was submitted like this as a "Canvas"

9. Hillel

Hillel Legendary

Ok guys, forgive me please. I'm brand new at submitting stuff to this site and I don't know all the "etiquette" of submitting maps. If I neglected so far to have deleted all the objects on the map prior to submitting it as a "canvas" and that's what is keeping it from actually being a canvas, then that was out of ignorance. If I should not have titled it a "canvas", then please give me a suggestion of what I should have submitted it as, because I honestly didn't know what else to call it. I'm sorry, but I thought this was awesome and just wanted to share it with people, and to me, forgetting to delete initial items seems a bit "nit picky" to me, but regardless I will update it with the suggestions soon. If I am not mistaken, I left a respawn on the Eden part of the map so that I could get back to it later by just killing myself until I spawned back on the Eden map, and delete everything else. Also, you could have allowed me to at least respond to this issue before leaving it a poor review. I don't think the problems were deserving of a 1 rating. Have a little mercy on a new member.

10. ReclaimerX22

ReclaimerX22 Promethean

This is awesome, I'm definitely gonna have to take a look at this.

Hillel likes this.
  11. Robert Cosper

Robert Cosper Legendary

i wouldnt take it to heart, people here can sometimes be a little judgemental, it sucks a little bit, but it doesnt take much time to create a new map and bust through or even go and delete the objects themselves if they want the canvas that badly. with it being limited in space even after i took a long look wayyyyyyy past the boundries, it seems like thats the only spot

a Chunk and Hillel like this.
  12. Hillel

Hillel Legendary

Thanks man, yes personally if it had been someone else that had found this and shared it before I did and had done the same, I would have been so thrilled I wouldn't have even cared about having some stuff to delete. I agree that deleting all unnecessary objects is appropriate prior to submitting for feedback, but ok so "canvas" is an inappropriate title for it. I would like those who would give a negative review to please inform me of how they think I should title it and I'll change it. No big deal.

13. ReclaimerX22

ReclaimerX22 Promethean

If you want you can still delete everything left on Eden, that way everyone who downloads it after won't have that problem. Plus with the way the new bookmaking system works, it will even update for the people who have already bookmarked it, as long as they haven't saved their own version of it yet.

Hillel likes this.
  14. Hillel

Hillel Legendary

Yes, that's a great auto update feature for our maps. I plan on deleting all the extra stuff soon as I have a chance. Will update.

15. iTz EnViiOuS

iTz EnViiOuS Legendary

Once updated I have no problem deleting my original review and giving it a 10, no hard feelings I just wanted everyone to know prior to downloading what they would be getting. Sorry for any animosity you may have felt, it was not intended to be malicious.

a Chunk and Hillel like this.
  16. Hillel

Hillel Legendary

It's all good man. Thanks for the response. I'll update soon.

iTz EnViiOuS and a Chunk like this.
  17. Hillel

Hillel Legendary

Updated. Current object count 62. Thanks.

18. ReclaimerX22

ReclaimerX22 Promethean

Finally got a chance to check this out, it looks sweet. Have you tried building anything on it? Does the fact that you don't generate lighting on dev maps hurt it at all?

Hillel likes this.
  19. Hillel

Hillel Legendary

Yes I am half way through a "Boardwalk" inspired map on it and I'm very pleased with the look of it. As far as the lighting goes, this map actually doesn't seem to have issues. I've broken out of Empire and The Rig, and there are lighting issues with shadows. If you want to build a map that doesn't face the sun and is mostly enclosed with those, you can still do some decent looking stuff, but on this one there are no shadows cast, so it doesn't look weird or glitchty. It's dark enough for night time maps, but not so dark that blocks get lost in the shadows and the forge lighting pieces seem to work well to lighten up areas if needed. Someone just messaged me yesterday saying they were doing a "Skyline" remake from Halo 4 on it and it actually looks pretty good.

20. Wally12

Wally12 Ancient

You weren't the first to do it, but one of two other than myself that I have seen. I made a thread for all out of map canvases. Here's the video for anyone interested in more canvases.