Remake Sidewinder

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by used man, Oct 12, 2010.

1. used man

used man Ancient

I mentioned in my danger canyon thread, that I would post my sidewinder remake soon. so here it is. The remake is just slightly scaled down to fit the terrain, although not as much as danger canyon. Note, that this remake is based off of the PC version of the game, so the vehicle/weapon layout may be different to you. I think ill convert it to avalanche after I'm done(either successfully, or unsuccessfully) with timberland.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DOWNLOAD

#1 used man, Oct 12, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  2. Traffic Warden

Traffic Warden Forerunner

Looks fun. I never played Sidewinder but I have heard it was similar to Avalanche. Just wondering what the active camo and overshields were for? DL form me.

3. Stumanji

Stumanji Forerunner

I also have a Sidewinder remake I worked on. It's more of a "spiritual successor" or a "re-imagining" of Sidewinder, but the layout is pretty much the same. Yours looks good. I like what you did with the "rocket bridge" with the stunt ramps.

I'll get mine into my fileshare in a couple of days and you can take a look. We can compare creations and perhaps improve on them. Kudos for now though.

4. alfanugan

alfanugan Forerunner

Crazy, looks neat, will try it out!

5. T3RA PROWL3R

T3RA PROWL3R Ancient

Nice. I would still rather have an avalanche remake tho. A lot easier to move around.

6. eating lunch

eating lunch Forerunner

Ok back in the Halo CE days my friends and I LOVED Sidewinder. We played it all the time from 1v1's to 8v8's. I know this map inside and out. Its the best map ever made in a video game, period. I don't care if most people say maps like Lockout, Coagulation, Midship, or whatever, Sidewinder was the best period!

Avalanche was Bungie butchering, slaughtering, and making a mockery of Sidewinder. It was ridiculously obvious that the map designers of Avalanche had not played Sidewinder very much because they "fixed" "flaws" in Sidewinder that were not flaws at all, and were the way they were for a reason. Those reasons were different ways the supposed "flaws" helped gameplay work better.

You cannot get around faster on Avalanche than on Sidewinder.

The teleporters for the outside route were removed, therefore DESTROYING the 3rd outside high foot route.

Yes, Bungie destroyed one of the most critical routes in Sidewinder when they made Avalanche.

How?

Because they replaced the two teleporters with mancannons that shot players into the middle of the middle vehicle route. That makes crossing from one side of the map to the other side change from being instant with teleporters, to taking forever on foot walking across HALF the entire map.

IF players can even make it, since they are thrown into the middle of an open vehicle route. If a vehicle comes near them, they're dead, and won't make it.

Thats why there's such a massive battle in the middle of the inside foot route on Avalanche, but not a massive battle at that same point in that same route on Sidewinder. Because Sidewinder has an outside AND an inside foot route.

The bases weren't as good either because from Halo 2 on Bungie decided to hate ladders... for some strange reason. Still, they could have just replaced the ladders with lifts to keep the same base design that Sidewinder had, but they chose to change the base design a little. Its not horrible or map breaking, but its not nearly as good as the original bases. And I don't get why they added that wide platform in front of the bases either. It really wasn't necessary to add since the Sidewinder bases were already good to snipe from...

The map was also massively scaled down in size, or at least the open areas were. I'm not sure why Bungie did that because the clever design of the two foot routes allowed for fast traversal of the map, and vehicles go fast anyway, so driving over a big space doesn't take long.

Now as for your remake, I think its a good attempt at something that is hard to accomplish. I think you did good proportioning everything while scaling it down, and attempted to recreate small details from the map that are important.

I would give your map a 7/10 overall, and thats really good considering how challenging it is to recreate Sidewinder.

7. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

No need to derail a thread, but just to chime in with my own .02: we played the crap out of Sidewinder back in the CE days too, usually big team games of 6-8 players per side. I liked it well enough especially for CTF. But I'm sorry, Avalanche is a superior map. It was a lot more fun, the bases were better designed and not as easy to camp, the middle passage was better designed and more entertaining than Sidewinder's corridor of boring, and the horseshoe itself made for more interesting battles due to the more varied terrain and cover. Sidewinder could make for some fun games but it also made for a lot of dull ones, and huge portions of the map were almost never used for anything - especially if you were on foot.

Anyway I'll have to try out this remake to see what it's like. At a glance the aesthetics seem to suffer, but it has to be hard to make the middle of the horseshoe given how huge that area is.

8. yomilo

yomilo Forerunner

No offense, but the cover glass in front of the sniping post is a FAIL

9. Keg

Keg Forerunner

i really, really want to play this.. think you could hit me up ? btw it looks as close as you can get to the real thing other then maybe changing the stunt ramps to rocks?

#9 Keg, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  10. Flywheel1

Flywheel1 Forerunner

Definitely my favorite map from Halo: CE. Nothing in Halo 2, 3, ODST or Reach has come close to it. It's always running with your hair on fire getting kills as fast as you can. On Sidewinder, you snuck around and spent more effort trying not to be seen. I LOVED that!

I've thought about trying to tackle this and decided it was going to be too difficult to find the right area and build the same balance. Gutsy remake! DL is Q'd.