Shockwave

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Gravedigger2, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Gravedigger2

Gravedigger2 Ancient

Shockwave, Created by: Gravedigger5454

[​IMG]

This map features it's own floor ceiling, and walls to make it feel like it's something completely different from Foundry, where it was built. The ceiling covering the map allows it to have a different lighting and look the Foundry and helps to make the map impossible to escape in player mode. The map is approximately the same size as Midship, with it's design centered around a large, three story room.

The design is centered around one big room with three floors. The second and third floor aren't as big as the first, and can easily shoot down to other floors. You can see an animated view of the middle of this room below:

[​IMG]

On the second floor of this room, you can go over to the two bases. These bases work well into Slayer and other non-objective games as battle rifle spawns.

The middle of the bottom floor has steps that go down to another room. Also, a ramp above allows access to this room. This room has little cover, but is home to a spot where you can drop down to grab a gravity hammer. A special feature of this room is the "Shockwave." When ever an explosion-from a grenade or gravity hammer-occurs in this room, the ground shakes a little. The greater the explosion, the more the ground shakes.

[​IMG]

At the center of the main room, the ground is made of pallets. By shooting or throwing a grenade on this floor, they can create a hole that will allow them to escape to the basement. From the basement, they can shoot up at other players, grab the mauler from it's spawn, or walk down one of two identical hallways. At the end of the hallways are lifts (interlocked into the walls) that bring players up the second floor, or occasionally the third floor.

[​IMG]

This map works great for Slayer. You can play any other mode if you'd like as well. Some of the testers really liked Capture the Flag, however the general consenus was that Slayer was usually the most fun. It is recommended you don't play with more than 8 players, due to the map size, however it's setup so you can go to 16 if you'd like.

There are many other unique features of the map, such as the ceiling that cover the main room in the map, or a custom mancannon look from a fence wall, double box, and mancannon interlocked together. Please take a look at the map from the view of someone playing Slayer, since if you just float around in forge it might not look neat. The map is impossible to escape in Slayer without editting it. Part of one of the walls, can be seen through that allows you to see scenery setup inside. This, along with many other features of the map, give it a unique feel and help it to play great with standard gametypes.

#1 Gravedigger2, Apr 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2008
  2. Aclopolipse

Aclopolipse Ancient
    Banned

Wow...
    It takes some -blam!- to create a foundry map without showing any signs of foundry.

3. Atheos23

Atheos23 Ancient

I see Foundry's floor...
    [hide "foundry"=Phail!][/hide]

sad face

I would like to see more but your pics keep changing...thats annoying.
    Some areas look very interesting but not the room under the pallets. Walking, strafing, jumping through all those teleporters while trying to shoot at people will be frustrating.

4. Gravedigger2

Gravedigger2 Ancient

Thanks

You can barely see Foundry's floor in gameplay because the small section that uses it, has the teleporters and things on top of it.

You can walk through teleporters, so they don't get in your way. They do however, obstruct vision and create a cool gameplay mechanic for the basement. I am sorry you don't like the moving pictures, I'll try to add some standard soon if I can as well.

Also, the link didn't work for some reason, I just fixed it.

5. whitelime

whitelime Ancient

What WhiteLime thinks

I think that the layout is very interesting with the dumpser and pallet floors could get very interesting and alot of your layout is very original and obscure. I will make sure i get a game going sometime to check it out.

6. xxAl Capwnagexx

xxAl Capwnagexx Ancient

Looks like an interesting map, especially with the pallet floor/ceiling. I like the interlocking and it looks thought out. BUT, if you want more DL's I would suggest having standard pictures or at least make the pictures switch from one another slower.

7. Maxwell360

Maxwell360 Ancient

Played out great when I played it with you. I liked the "tower layout". It was somewhat out of the ordinary from most of the maps here. It reminded me of some of the Forgehub 1v1 showdown maps.

The weapon choice was great also. You did not pull a noob and pace every power weapon in the game on here. No rockets to camp on the small oppenings and ledges was a bonus too.

I still have some questions about the great aesthetics of the map. Why were two mancannons flipped upside down and placed on the floor behind the pallet floor? and why was a sheild door placed beside the bruteshot on the top floor? For extra grenade bounce? (for shocking appeal!-pun)

All in all, it was a great map. We should forge some time.

#7 Maxwell360, Apr 3, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  8. Gravedigger5454

Gravedigger5454 Ancient

When I get a chance to get some more screenshots I won't animate them.

The upside down mancannons was one of the final changes I decided to make for the map. They're there to give an interesting look to the floor there to get players to go there. Also, they can make it harder to throw grenades there, and create a small bump of blue light you can walk on there that makes you a little more vulnerable as you walk over them. Also, if you push propane tanks on them the right way, then they will launch them a little bit, which is kinda neat. The shield door by the brute shot is inside the wall there. It makes that spot look a little more interesting then a standard open box, helps to hold up the brute shot, makes grenades bounce off that wall, and is part of the shield door below (this is the only shield door on the map, and is impossible to use for camping).

Also, thanks to everyone who posted feedback.

9. Maxwell360

Maxwell360 Ancient

Thanks for clearing that up.

10. II ZERO II

II ZERO II Guest

heydont listen to these people that give negative comments this map is great and the pics are very cool dont put new ones =) the map is good and i dont think it matters if it shows the foundry floor it doesnt matter good job 5/5

11. Gravedigger5454

Gravedigger5454 Ancient

Thanks. I was actually going to try to get some more screenshots anyways though, since there are some cool features of the map that are hard to see in the current ones. The reason the one guy mentioned Foundry's floor is because I mentioned that this map had it's own floor and everything. As he pointed out, you can actually see Foundry's floor in a small section of the map if your looking for it. But as you said, it doesn't really matter since just about every other map lets you Foundry's floor at least from some spots.

12. Nemihara

Nemihara Ancient

Pallet Floors=OMG AWESOME WINSAUCE

I have a fetish for floors that do that. It's very aesthetically pleasing, and makes me feel all tingly inside.

13. LIGHTSOUT225

who cares about the foundry floor or the pics? the map looks great gravedigger, definitely gonna give it a go. I'll be back.

14. TXGhost

TXGhost Ancient

I did a forge through on this map, and it looks nice. I don't really understand why you have all those teleporters in that one room though.

15. Gravedigger5454

Gravedigger5454 Ancient

Thanks, Nemihara, and Lightsout225. And, Ghost, to answer your question:

The teleporters down there hold up the pallet floor above them. They double as scenery for the bottom room, and to hold up the floor above. You can walk through them after destroying the pallets to get to the basement.

16. Cr0ok3d

Cr0ok3d Ancient

Wow, you are a beast at making maps. I will check this one out.

17. Xx EnraGe xX

Xx EnraGe xX Ancient

Looks good dude, I try this now.

18. Xx EnraGe xX

Xx EnraGe xX Ancient

congratz for it. 3 vs 3 slayer are pretty fun on it

4/5

19. Gravedigger5454

Gravedigger5454 Ancient

Thanks, but it's not supposed to be a Team map. The map was designed primarily for Slayer, try Slayer next time and I think you'll like it a lot better.

20. Indie Anthias

Indie Anthias Unabash'd Rubbernecker

Gravedigger, I think this is your best one so far. The central 3-leveled space along with the exterior hallways are just right, and the pallet floor to the basement is very unique. There are so many pieces of flair in this one that don't detract from gameplay like they tended to in some of your other work. The A and B signs merged together are nifty. Some might ask "why would I make a floor out of upturned dumpsters". You ask "why not".

Also, it makes my day when I'm in the post screen shots of a great map.

#20 Indie Anthias, Apr 7, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2008