Scythe

Discussion in 'WIP - Works In Progress' started by PA1NTS, Dec 27, 2012.

1. PA1NTS

PA1NTS Promethean
    Forge Critic Senior Member

SCYTHE
    Created By: PA1NTS

MAP IS RELEASED. CHECK OUT THE MAP THREAD HERE FOR NEWER PICTURES.

Gameplay with Commentary

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HLJIkiHY1g

The Halo Council Community Forge Test Playlist Video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJlgEsG3Bhc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Mr Pokephile Map Feature

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG0m6xpscCQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

[​IMG]

As a little bit of a backstory, I started this map in the late stages of Halo: Reach. If you wanna take a look at the Reach thread, click here.

I chose to forge on Impact because of the flat ground for green atrium, which couldn't be achieved on Ravine or Erosion. Ravine had the flat grass, but the map would not fit around it.

Scythe has a 2 tier, 4 room asymmetrical design. It is recommended you play 2v2, I don't suggest even playing a 1v1. The map's too segregated.

The rooms have y
    our usual noob friendly colors, for easy coordination. Those were the same colors as the Reach version, so why change them.

I've made a few additions to what I hope is a better spawning system(structurally and to the spawns themselves.) Orange room needed to open up a bit. So there is an extra 2 units at the back where there's also a ramp leading up to the Sniper. Makes a nice flanking route without being in the open.

There is some changes to the weapon layout, but only slightly. I feel the Railgun and Sniper gives an added competitive element to the map. The Railgun has been moved slightly but is still in green room, in comparison to the GL in Reach.

Get 4 players together, and test this out for me guys. Report any weird spawning issues or anything like that. It can obviously be changed hopefully fairly quickly. That's about it. Enjoy the map.

Pictures:

Green atrium.

[​IMG]

Blue Atrium.

[​IMG]

Gold Atrium.

[​IMG]

Red Atrium

[​IMG]

There was alot of spawning problems near blue in the Reach version. So I've added kind of a wrap around hallway back there.

[​IMG]

The new addition to orange room. Sniper on the far right window. Notice the rock tac jump.

[​IMG]

The railgun location (far right window.) You can jump from the rocks, though it's a little more difficult than just taking the back ramp around.

[​IMG]

To Download:

Press Start,
    Go to Settings & Files,
    Go to File Browser,
    Go to Map Variants,
    Search by Gamertag: PA1NTS
    Download Scythe.

Or just send me a message on Xbox live. I will reply saying "Scythe." That way, you can view my profile, and you should be able to access my fileshare.

#1 PA1NTS, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. Miroki

Miroki Promethean

I really like the layout to this map. Is 2v2 the only thing you suggest on it, or does it work with 4v4 as well? That map looks great and reminds me of some good Arena style shooter maps. Great job design, hope to see more from you.

EDIT: I just looked at your file share and it doesn't seem to be there yet.

#2 Miroki, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  3. PA1NTS

PA1NTS Promethean

If you start a game with any more players than 10, players will start spawning outside the map.

Gimme a minute, it'll be in my fileshare shortly.

EDIT: It's up!

#3 PA1NTS, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  4. Yevah

Yevah Ancient

What item did you use for the flooring? Vehicle pads?

5. theSpinCycle

theSpinCycle Halo Reach Era

Ooh, it's back :)

I'm not sure entirely, but in the gold room, what's the point of the area where the camera is if you can just cross the 1x1 thin and tall bridge to get to the other side? Is there a new route I'm missing?

6. thesilencebroken

thesilencebroken Jill Sandwich

Looks sick man. I particularly like Green room. The incorporation of natural geometry is nice and something that stands out from other maps.

7. PA1NTS

PA1NTS Promethean

a) the 1x1 bridge is pretty risky for a couple of reasons. (Lack of cover and navigation/dancefloor.)
    b) the sniper spawns in the corner, encouraging you to go around.
    c) that bridge was part of an earlier design of the map.
    d) green room has the same 1x1 bridge, used as a risky shortcut.
    e) if you fall off of the bridge you have to take the ramp back up to the corner to gain high ground.

#7 PA1NTS, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  8. PA1NTS

PA1NTS Promethean

The bottom of a UNSC tower, 2.

9. theSpinCycle

OK, so the sniper's moved. Makes more sense. That green room one's a teleporter, so you're forced into that one route.. there isn't another hard route that does the same thing.

What are those strange 4x4 looking blocks that you've used in the blue room? Are they just flipped upside down? o_O

10. Narfidy444

Narfidy444 Promethean

OHHHHHMAN! I just about *** myself when I saw this. Really wish I was able to play it. I know what your maps are capable of and (being a fan of 1v1's) wish I was there so I could have played it in reach. Hope some of the mechanics are not screwing this map up like they did Memento, (poor noooooch).

11. PA1NTS

PA1NTS Promethean

What do you mean? (about nooooochs map.)

#11 PA1NTS, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  12. Narfidy444

Narfidy444 Promethean

Oh poor noooooch is stubborn and he demanded to use ordinance drops (don't know if you did) So the fact that you can't edit clips in ordinance drops messed up his map a little bit. Also I don't know if sprint is an issue for you at all? It is meant for 2v2 so I imagine not...

13. PA1NTS

PA1NTS Promethean

What do you mean? Couldyou elaborate?

Those are actually 3x3 talls. Sideways.

14. ItzArctic

ItzArctic Promethean

I really like the design of this map. It seems to have been a map that was put much thought into it and I love the color coated rooms for easy access to areas via callouts in game. You have my download on this map. Bravo! *slow clap*

15. PA1NTS

PA1NTS Promethean

You need to elaborate a little bit too. I don't quite understand what your 1st paragraph is about.

Also, the weird looking blocks are 3x3 talls, sideways.

16. theSpinCycle

I worded that badly.

The 1x1 tall bridge in green room leads to a teleporter, so it's not like you're missing anything by going along the wider path. The one in Gold room is just a free shortcut.

If you placed the sniper on the longer, wider path in Gold room, it should be fine.

17. Fenix Hulk

Fenix Hulk Ancient

Nice job on making it into matchmaking! How did you submit it to 343?

18. xzamplez

xzamplez Ancient

This is the best map in matchmaking. You have improved quickly, Paints. Don't let it get to your head, though. Stay humble, and keep improving.

19. Dax

Dax Mhmm.

My exact thoughts. By far the funnest games I've had in Halo 4 mm. Just don't go purchase a high horse and start being on it.

...What? What did I just say... Worst analogy I've ever done. Oh well, it's late.

20. DC

DC Ancient

This map came on, and i was like, hey ive seen this before, having the advantage i dominated and pwnd noobz

No but seriously, great map i already dl'ed in, recommend it to anyone, if you have a good team map control isnt a problem, but the best feature is only having two power weapons on opposite sides, leads to one side not being too powerful, and to gain map control a team can't stay in one room.

Although i hate the concept of personal ordinances, it was a problem the couple times i played this map, so it was just really enjoyable. The tele's are great too, saved me from losing a killing frenzy, and was able to regroup with my team