Scion Map Pack

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Audienceofone, May 17, 2011.

1. Audienceofone

Audienceofone Forerunner

The Scion Map Pack
    The Scion Map Pack has been a project of mine since the last few maps I produced, This has been in production for a few months, during my hiatus at Forgehub. I took all I have learned from others and among my own discoveries, and attempted to create a new, interesting, and fun set of maps. Each has been carefully considered about weapon placement, flow of gameplay, and design of the map. This is the result, I hope you like what has been done so far.

Split Screen Testing (6/5/11): All maps currently said to be released have been tested for 2-player split screen, appears to have no effect on frame rate. No information on 3 or 4 player split screen.

Release (6/20/11): The remaining three maps of the Scion Map Pack will be released sometime between June 25th and July 1st, depending heavily on when and how much testing takes place.

Update1 (5/31/11): Removed Melpomene, added Project G (working title).
    Update2 (6/2/11): Replaced Warrior's Grounds with a revised version.

Update2b(6/3/11): New pictures for a new altered version of Interference. Final names for the revision of Warrior's Grounds (Bloom) and Project G (Awry) declared.
    Update2c(6/4/11): New details on weapons, player count, and gametypes for Interference, Bloom, and Awry. Lists are subject to change.
    Update 3 (6/20/11): Removed Strained. Expected release time zone given

Interference (6-8 players)
    Gametypes: Slayer/Team Slayer, Oddball, CTF

Interference is one of my favorites, the lower level made in an hour, while I had no clue how to make the main level until recently. The design is a box-like set-up, with many different angles to approach your foes.
    99% finished

Weapons:
    DMR (6)
    Needler (2)
    Sniper Rifle (1)
    Shotgun (1)
    Magnum (2)
    Grenade Launcher (2)
    Plasma Pistol (2)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    above two images feature the revised red side
    [​IMG]
    Blue side and surrounding area, Note the altered back platform
    [​IMG]
    lower level, ramp to red and blue sides, drop down from hallways.

[​IMG]
    outer orange hall
    [​IMG]
    inner orange hall, these are the same on each side, this hall runs from blue to red.
    [​IMG]

this area is where one can drop to the lower level, into the shallow water.

Warrior's Grounds (Cancelled)
    Although the map did not show any signs of failure, I have opted for a revised version, seen below. This map has been removed from the map pack. (6/2/11 update2)

Melpomene
    (Cancelled)
    The Map Melpomene has been removed from this map pack, as a playtest showed it had too many errors to possibly be released at all. (5/28/11 update1)

Strained (Cancelled)
    Although Strained was promising, I failed to create a strong surrounding space to accompany the beautifull center. Multiple atempts later, I have decided to remove this map from the Scion Map Pack. Though this is unfortunate, the map will live on, as I will enter it into the Map Adoption system.

Update1 (5/31/11) new map added to the Scion Map Pack:
    Awry (6-8 players)
    Gametypes: Slayer/Team Slayer, Headhunter, Crazy King.

Awry is a new addition to the map pack as of May 31st (2011). It is asymmetrical and provides good short to mid range combat.
    95% finished

Weapons:
    DMR (4)
    Needle Rifle (3)
    Plasma Repeater (2)
    Plasma Pistol (2)
    Concussion Rifle (1)
    Shotgun (2)
    Rocket Launcher (1)

[​IMG]
    The overview, red is on the right, blue on the left side. The rocks are a bit confusing from this angle, the other pictures should help explain the map better.
    [​IMG]
    Upper blue hall, acessable through a path at the far end and a grv lift farther up.
    [​IMG]
    Lower Blue side.
    [​IMG]
    Lower red side, lift raises you to upper red side, which leads in turn to the upper middle walkway, upper red, and middle sections.
    [​IMG]
    Red spawn, bridge leads to the same hall the red lift does. Stairway leads down to lower red side and also, on each blue and red side there is a shotgun spawn near the initial spawns. They have no clips and are slow to respawn though.
    [​IMG]
    Center of the map, a bridge between red and blue. Some small areas may lead to a fall into death(There are many railings to help prevent idiotic falls), so just watch out for that.
    [​IMG]
    The lower middle platform has a man cannon that launches you through the one way shield onto this bridge, there is a drop-down area below said shield to go on a one-way fall to the lower room. Rocket spawns here.
    [​IMG]
    This is the aforementioned man cannon and from here leads to both lower sides of red and blue sections.

Update2 (6/2/11) new map added to the Scion Map Pack:
    Bloom (4-8 players)
    Gametypes: Slayer/Team Slayer, Infection (not safe haven games)
    This is the revised version of Warrior's Grounds, changes include a lift, a shotgun, a new lower level layout (similar but less open), effects, lights, the entire map was moved into the Colosseum (as opposed to floating in the air) and revised red and blue upper sides. This map is symmetrical and features many different paths of movement.
    95% finished

Weapons:
    Grenade Launcher (1)
    DMR (4)
    Energy Sword (1)
    Shotgun (1)
    Plasma Rifle (2)
    Plasma Pistol (1)

[​IMG]
    Upper middle. The design is inspired by a sporting field, it is very open but provides access to all major areas and a Grenade Launcher.
    [​IMG]
    A better look at the upper yellow lift room.next to the lift are two areas to drop down to the lower yellow room.
    [​IMG]
    Opposite the yellow room is the purple room. This is the lower level, and sword spawn.
    [​IMG]
    Lower yellow room, looking toward Purple side through the central hall on the lower level.Shotgun spawn.
    [​IMG]
    Blue side hall, lower level, just behind this picture is a ramp up to the upper yellow room and ahead are two paths to the center of the lower level and two ramps up to the upper level. Its less confusing in person, I promise. (Orange Team Initial Spawn)
    [​IMG]
    Upper blue side (Blue Team initial Spawn).
    [​IMG]
    Upper Purple hall, to the left is a ramp to the lower level, in the upper purple room is a drop to the lower level.

Note that the effects and lights are a possibility of hindering the gameplay, they can be taken out in Forge, but so far have been uncompromising to gameplay.

For now, thats all. Please leave any comments, concerns, or questions here.
    Thanks for viewing,
    -xAudienceofone

Special thanks to Confused Flamingo, for helping give a few useful suggestions on both gameplay and aesthetic views.
    Also to InsertSomeNinja, Typhon 300, and Homicidal Wookie, who helped test, and provide assistance in the creation process.

#1 Audienceofone, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. Atrain

Atrain Ancient

well done, looking forward to the final release.

3. Audienceofone

Audienceofone Forerunner

Thank you Atrain,
    Also, as an update I have altered Melpomene with some effects, shouldn't hinder the gameplay but make the map more unique. Secondly all 4 maps are currently available for download if anyone wishes to have them in this beta form.
    Again, to anyone who may provide feedback on any issues they see, the more I can catch now, the better the release versions will be.

4. BlondishFiber

BlondishFiber Forerunner

Hmmm im exited to try out these maps... send message when i can download them.. and if i like it then we might can work to gether... im also working whit an map pack :p i think it will be here be4 the 2 next weeks :p

5. Feral Wolf

Feral Wolf Forerunner

I cant wait to play on it. oh and if you by chance have room on your list plz add me i'd love to play test some maps if you need help

6. SickBow

SickBow Forerunner

Wow these maps are awesome! i especially liked what you did with the whole sewer thing and the water on the first map.

#6 SickBow, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
  7. Audienceofone

Audienceofone Forerunner

Thank you for all the positive comments. Again, the beta versions are available now, however I still am testing and adjusting various features of the maps as well.

8. konradtacular

konradtacular Forerunner

dude I love the map with the tree it is really cool. I haven't seen many maps centered around a tree before. That map is definitely my favorite.

9. MyWhiteFlag

MyWhiteFlag Forerunner

:L

Out of the maps I probably like Strained the most, though a rocket launcher seems excessive for a six man map? I recommend you release each map seperately, you'll get more individual feedback that way.
    Anyway, nice maps.

10. Audienceofone

Audienceofone Forerunner

Im just going to release them all at once, It makes it so that others don't have their maps pushed down even farther. Thanks for the feedback, I just finished testing some maps and I am also happy to introduce a new map to the pack to replace Melpomene! Currently called Project G (G because it is the 7th unnamed map since I began calling them Projects)though I am searching for a permanent name. All the testing did go quite well, thanks again to those who joined my spontaneous custom game party. I just have to test Interference and Project G a bit more, but I think the other two should be ready.
    Project G (Please, if you have a name for it tell me, the current one is awful) will be updated to the images and information above. It was inspired however by a very incomplete map Stevo showed me, and I took the idea of his Large Walkway Bridge and made it my own.
    My Fileshare has been updated with the removal of Melpomene and the addition of Project G. So if anyone wishes to test these beta versions please feel free to do so.
    WhiteFlag, I understand the concern about the rocket, though no issues have occurred with it so far. Ill probobly test it again once or twice before releasing it in final form, but im confident the map is quite balanced now. I'll probobly mess with the concussion rifle on Strained though.
    Thank you again to all who have given feedback, Ill update the original post now with Project G and I am eager to see what you think.

11. Plasmy

Plasmy Ancient

Strained is my favorite by far, I love enclosed maps with trees in them, it adds flavor in my opinion.

A tip though, when you release the pack, make sure to post the maps on different threads, no one likes to look at those long threads with all of the maps combined into one post.

12. Audienceofone

Audienceofone Forerunner

I will soon have pictures for the updated version of Warrior's Grounds (The new version is slightly larger and features a Shotgun, Sword, and Grenade Launcher) and will be altering Strained slightly, as the teleporter has become far too campable in testing. Expect the first post on this to be updated later today or tomorrow.

EDIT: Update2 is up.

EDIT: Currently working on ways to improve Strained. The centerpeice is fine in my opinion, though I am not yet happy with the rest.

EDIT: Update 3 is up.

#12 Audienceofone, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011