Scarab(s) on sandbox.

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Aesthetic Forger, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Aesthetic Forger

Hey guys, me being a scarab maker/ obviously aesthetic map maker am planning on making a scarab (or two if enough stuff) As soon as the mythic map pack comes out to the marketplace me and my friend will start on it immediately. I think the map should be interesting because theres actually room for the scarab and other objects. Maybe even two scarabs and other objects.

What im thinking for the map.
    -scarab's as bases
    -assault/multiflag as gametypes
    -on the sky bubble maybe ill put a phantom/ spirit dropship?
    -random structures for the map lol

I hope the map has a huge ammount of money!

2. Wolverfrog49

Wolverfrog49 Ancient

How about a flying Scarab up on the Sky bubble?

Anyway, first thing I'm doing is finding the skulls.

3. rusty eagle

rusty eagle Ancient

Cool I guess, but this isn't really a discusion. Were you looking for conformatoin or feedback? Because it seems to be here just to lay your thoughts out which can be easily done on a piece of notebook paper.

4. Aesthetic Forger

I wanted some feedback... before i make it i want to know if people actually think its a good idea for me to go through with it. Creating multiple scarabs and even spirits/phantoms will defienitly be a challange to get high quality on each of them and moreover extremely time consuming. I want to know if this will do well before i spend lots of my time for nothing. also i seem to be in the wrong forum... i just realized that when rusty eagle said it wasnt much of a discussion. whoops my bad but since i do want some feedback i guess ill keep it here anyway.

5. Crushric

Crushric Ancient

better Idea

Perhaps you can say the "Scarab" you would build, is actually a Forerunner mining tool, which is where modern scarabs come from, reason why, it would make aesthetic Sense

6. HaloGoddess

HaloGoddess Ancient

Well, if you keep up with the Bungie updates, you will know that there is NOT a very large budget and they have an item limit, something that has always been there, but nobody really ran into problems.

Also, when you do finally get to forge in Sandbox, DO NOT delete the objects already on the default map. Even Bungie themselves somewhat stressed this point. They basically said do not make a blank map of sandbox like how some people make blank templates of other maps.

If you haven't done so already, you might want to go read some of the Bungie updates about sandbox. The read is worth it. :happy:

7. YueIzumi

YueIzumi Ancient

I don't personally think the maps Budget will allow more than 1 scarab... Unless the two scarab are both incredibly undetailed.
    You could try it out though, I'd play it if you did.

8. Nemihara

Nemihara Ancient

I figured that we could just budget glitch the default objects. Neh, neh? The most recent one we did with two players would probably work.

9. Mallet

Mallet Ancient
    Banned

Whats the point in a budget glitch when we are going to hit the maximum items limit first?

10. The Spartan III

The Spartan III Ancient
    Banned

you could have the scarabs in the crypt fighting over a bomb. next to each scarab is a base. in each base is a munitions depot, several power cores next to the belly of the scarab, surrounded on all sides by shield doors. this is where you must plant the bomb. when the bomb detonates, it sets off the power cores, which set off some more power cores and fusion coils inside the scarab(possibly a short tube from the scarab to munitions depot, like its refueling?). the round then ends.

also, 1 scarab should be halo 3, with brute weapons and vehicles. the other should be halo 2 with elite weapons and vehicles. it would make it more interesting.

EDIT: the item limit is aorund 640-ish. thats plenty with the items we have now

11. redearth

redearth Ancient

Umm, they actually stated there will be a huge budget, we won't run into it because of the item limit, which has been doubled for this map.

About the scarab. Why not make it on Assembly? Already have half of it done for you : ). Seriously I'm looking forward to seeing something like this. Send me a link to the thread if you get it done. P.S. Make fusion coils instant respawn in the scarab itself, and make it assault. Put one propane, instant respawn, in it too. When the bomb goes boom the explosion starts the chain reaction. Or you could use the grav lift style, where a grav lift holds an instantly respawning fusion coil up. That one's more like campaign, but I think it's too easy to attack.

12. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented
    Forge Critic Senior Member

dang you beat me to it. I was going to say make it on Assembly since its a factory for scarabs. Sounds like a good idea. I don't know if you would be able to make two though... unless they aren't very detailed

13. EpicFishFingers

EpicFishFingers Ancient

Sorry but if you do make an aesthetic Scarab it will be very small compared to the rest of the map, and you may have to use the killballs to stop players running around away from the Scarab. Build it in the skybubble and build a floor for it.

14. redearth

redearth Ancient

I think it isn't that hard to do on Sandbox, it's large enough to make two, and it has ramps making legs easy to make.

15. The Spartan III

The Spartan III Ancient
    Banned

like i said, make it in the crpyt. it has an extremely high ceiling,and looks to be about twice the size of foundry, at least. ive seen scarabs on foundry, so 2 in the crypt couldn't be that hard. plus the bases.

16. DMM White

DMM White Ancient

I'd make a whole 'Scarab Attack' themed map if I was going to make one. It would seem a shame to spend ages on a map but its not that good for gameplay because the scarab is the only thing on it!

Turf was based around the downed scarab in Halo 2, with its legs and bits draped over the buildings. There are so many things you could do in Sandbox, whether the map is based on campaign or not!

The lake bed scarab on The Storm, you can have the scarab in the middle surrounded by buildings, cranes and rubble on the ground for cover. Even boats!
    A map like 8 Emerald Legs would be a good one if you don't want such a linear layout for the scarab's floors.
    Or fighting scarabs! 2 scarabs with their legs and weapons locked as they attempted to wrestle each other to the ground, their legs become walk ways between the 2 bodies.

As I said, I'd make the whole map worth making, not just the scarab model.

17. OrangE BloB

OrangE BloB Ancient

The scarabs should be mining for stuff (one is over the hole leading to the crypt.. you can go through the middle of the scarab which is a hole to mine things... you drop down and you're in the crypt! ) then a teleporter in the crypt can lead to two phantoms fighting above sandbox!

18. The Cheat

The Cheat Ancient

Well, we've budget glitched foundry, and we still never used up the maximum object limit. Bungie did say that the object limit for sandbox was around 650 items (give or take a few). So, it seems that there would still be an incentive to Budget Glitch the may anyway, as alot of the items on Sandbox are more expensive than their Foundry counterparts.

Anywho, back on topic:

This seems like a nice idea for a map, and if you could pull it off, a very nice map. I have question:

Is the map going to be playable?

Also, this should probably be moved to the Forge Discussion section, as it would probably seem more at home there.

19. The Spartan III

The Spartan III Ancient
    Banned

has anyone read this? it pretty much is a detailed explanation of what alot of you are saying.

i don't know about the wrestling scarabs, it would definitely be really interesting and cool though. maybe have another map with 1 scarab like climbing on the other with its 2 front legs, and then the legs would act like bridges to get to either scarab. then there would be like a phantom on either side too, with weapons and stuff.

20. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

Personally, I'd make one Scarab and use the rest of the materials to make it a functioning map. People download aesthetic maps and then they eventually get rid of it for something more fun. If you want people to keep your map you need to make it playable.