Sandbox Discussion - Watch your spam.. (Interview links in OP)

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Something., Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B3NW

B3NW Ancient

Well tbh, I wouldnt say that grav lifts look like equipment but its both, theres a possility. Theres no real use for grav lifts in matchmaking except for hiding and finding spots to snipe so tbh, its useless.. In forge however its not, its quite usefull for custom maps... I think the kill ball has a major chance of getting to be both forge object and equipment. Id prefer it not to be forge object tough, It would be there the whole game and be frustrating...

2. The Spartan III

The Spartan III Ancient
    Banned

yah rly imagine like a building with all exits but one plugged with killballs. that would suck

3. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

Bungie has yet to add a new piece of equipment to any map.... its more likely to be strictly a forge object.

If the kill ball were a piece of equipment, it would be incredibly overpowering. It would also make the power drain completely useless. I just don't see it happening.

4. B3NW

B3NW Ancient

If modders can get invicility of campaign into customs then yes they can add new equipment. Its a bit like you downloading some files and modders putting them files into a custom, and you can only see them if you have those files, thats basicly what they can do. As for it pwning, maybe you drop it (not throw) and it has a few seconds before it works for you to run...

5. Shock Theta

Shock Theta Father of 4chub
    Forge Critic Senior Member

That's all well and good, as long as any such modding doesn't find its way over here. Quell that talk right now please.

Bungie just made our year.

6. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

I wasn't doubting their ability to add objects, I was pointing out that past trends do not point towards new weapons or equipment being added to the game.

And the quoted above could possibly work... maybe

7. Shock Theta

Aside from any speculation, I have to say I'm incredibly excited for this after feeling fairly nonplussed up until now. Hopeful though, and I'm ecstatic the map appears to be pretty much all we hoped for. I'm really glad to see older members who've been lessening their output in here too, full of enthusiasm. Can't wait to get my hands on this and see what emerges from the community.

8. EGP

EGP Ancient

Do you think that bungie will be adding a tool that allows you to drop sand or change the size of the hills, or do you think that is just an object you can plase?

9. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

Forge has always been an object editor. Moving sand hills or dropping sand would be editing actual geometry, so I wouldn't count on it.

10. Shock Theta

They've already said there aren't going to be any major alterations to forge - for good reasons - so no, I would be astounded if anything of that sort were to be included... and probably think it was a joke. Basically, editing the terrain is not going to happen.

^ Damn you Draw

11. Ray Benefield

Ray Benefield Godly Perfection
    Forge Critic

I can feel it now... the wave of Sandbox maps are coming...

That's it, in preparation I am writing a Forging Theory just for Sandbox before it comes out... I'm afraid it's going to get worse than Foundry. Someone needs to control the people. With more control gives a higher quality to maps that are good, but also increases exponentially the amount of fail that maps on Foundry present. I will not let this happen...

12. arrrghSAM

arrrghSAM Ancient

That would be a lot like Pariah's map creator, which was also the only good part about that game.
    I'm looking forward to this, hopefully it doesn't lag out as badly as say Avalanche when it comes to geomerging.

13. EGP

EGP Ancient

That is what i was kind of thinking, I would never really think that bungie would do this. But I guess the object they will add are the bunkers? or mini hills and large hills. So instead or alterating the height of certain areas there are objects to place such as small, medium, or large hills.

14. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

You don't need geomerging for Sandbox... only use it when needed... if I see overly geomerged/interlocked maps on Sandbox, I am gonna kill everyone here... lol... j/k.. but seriously...

15. EGP

EGP Ancient

Imagine all the teleporters, double walls, and weapon holders you are going to have to use to geomerge those huge structures into the geometry lol

I would really like to see someone work on that

16. Conkerkid11

Conkerkid11 Ancient

You are correct AZN... I have been wondering about this whole geomerging business for awhile now, and I have finaly decided that maybe geomerging will not be necessary on Sandbox.

Usually the only reason we geomerge on Foundry is so there are no cracks in between the walls, but as we see here on Sandbox there are no walls... just a wide open area. We also used to geomerge we so could get up onto objects, but now it appears there are smalle immovable objects then just Double or Single Boxes... brilliant!

What about doors? Anybody spot some doors lying somewhere in these pictures? Something we could geomerge with? If not, then the old fashion way will have to do... that would suck...

EDIT: I see that these old Ghost Town items may supply us with the perfect thing to build our own Left 4 Dead, or Resident Evil remakes.... mwuahahahahahahaha!!!

17. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

I'll kill you for that suggestion of overly geomerging sandbox... AAAARRRGGGHHH!!! lol... j/k... but seriously when is someone going to come up with a forge object count of this based off of all the pics... It's gotta be a completely different thread... this one is getting filled up fast...

18. Shock Theta

Shouldn't be too hard to arrive at a conservative estimate, with a bit of guesswork as to the cost of individual objects. They've said the budget is larger than foundry, which is fantastic, and pretty much required for a map of this size. It's nice to see so many immovable objects in the palette too - hopefully that'll mean the item limits for those objects are quite generous. It's not as if a static box stresses your 360 out that much, neither should 20, or 30, or 50 even. I doubt it'll go that high, however.

19. TrueDarkFusion

TrueDarkFusion Ancient

I am still curious as to what this multi-tiered thing I keep hearing about will turn out to be.

20. Mallet

Mallet Ancient
    Banned

Its the pancake theory. Urk mentioned that he ate some pancakes and we figured out that this was in fact a cunning devious code for us to decipher. Pancakes come in several tiers, it stands to reason that the map therefore will come in several tiers too. Basically, Urk confirmed that as well as the floor seen in the screenshots, there will also be an underground area and an area in the sky within which we can forge. Shishka tried to explain that we were assuming too much but it was clear he was in fact trying to shake us off the trail, bungie dont want us figuring out too much before the map is released you see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.