Sandbox Discussion - Watch your spam.. (Interview links in OP)

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Something., Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zone sama

zone sama Ancient

some of those pictures kick ass

2. zone sama

zone sama Ancient

wow, i got my own page.

3. GATORSHOES2

GATORSHOES2 Ancient

i like all the idiots that believed this was sandtrap

WOW

4. Ladnil

Ladnil Ancient

Those heatmaps we were so excited to find and linked directly from Bungie.net? Yea, all red now check out the first post.

5. Ozarka

Ozarka Ancient

DTL, what's your trick for making the walls fit together so perfectly without tilting when they're horizontal? I can't find a solution for the walls tilting no matter what I do.

p.s. That map looks AMAZING

6. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

Well, there is no stopping the walls from becoming crooked. What I've done is made sure those crooked walls next to one another are all slanted in the same direction, creating a crooked, but smooth surface. It takes a lot of trial and error, but it's well worth the hassle.

7. thesilencebroken

thesilencebroken Jill Sandwich

this too is what i did. If it doesnt match when you load the map back up, simply grab the wall again, lay it back down and save and quit again. Keep doing that till it lays together right.

8. zeppelinboy777

zeppelinboy777 Ancient

Hey, STFU. It was a hand drawn picture and I looked like Sandtrap. And now we see that Sandbox is literally the same thing as Sandtrap (one of those giant ring things with a lot of sand in the middle.

Can anyone make a tutorial or something on how to geomerge better and Sandbox? I used both ways of merging on Foundry but no matter what I do my merges don't work on Sandbox.

9. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Since there's so much z-fighting going on when interlocking on Sandtrap, it's a lot more tedious than it is on Foundry. You'll have to do a lot more adjusting of the objects to get it to stop, and even when it works sometimes the map will readjust itself after you save, leaving you frustrated as hell.

If you're talking straight up geo-merging for places like in the Crypt, it seems as if the object will always pop back up when the 'teardrop' goes under/into the map. Try it again with that in mind and see if it works better.

Since this is becoming a map teaser thread as well, I present to you:

Avarice
    [​IMG]

It's about 95% complete, and this will be considered the alpha (non-interlocked) build. I'll be doing tests this week, so be on the lookout.

#4369 squidhands, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  10. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

I just heard that from Orange last night! Its a shame geo-merging isn't possible down there... the Crypt had so many possibilities.... but the slanted walls and impossibility of geo-merging really kill just about any chance of me using the map. Unless I'm too constricted by a budget, I'll probably stick to Foundry.

11. Something.

Something. Ancient

So, just to clarify... Bungie actually did take away those glitches that made maps a better quality?

Luckily I don't need geomerging for what I want to make... but I know a lot of people do.

12. chrstphrbrnnn

chrstphrbrnnn Guardian

No you can geomerge it's just slightly more annoying as there aren't any doors.

13. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

Not in the Crypt, once you geomerge, save quit and go back into the game the objects appear ungeo-merged. I don't know why this occurs, but its annoying.

14. X5

X5 Ancient

Really? Because I geomerged down there and had no issues..

15. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

This sounds tres strange. Which objects did you experience this problem with DtL? Could it be that this problem only affects certain objects, like the wall tilt glitch?

#4375 Pegasi, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  16. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

This is what I've heard from orange and I think Linu forging together.... perhaps its a NAT problem, because I know when orange is in a party with me, some objects appear in different locations than they actually are....

Anywhooo.... I think its time I posted another in pic of my map in progress!
    [​IMG]

The geometry is about 90% complete, but it's that last 10% that will really bring this map together. Then all I have to do is smooth out the bugs here and there.

I'm debating whether a hornet will work in the map or not.... we'll see how testing goes.

17. thesilencebroken

thesilencebroken Jill Sandwich

The "you cannot geomerge in the crypt" thing is a myth. Chrstphrbrnnn has done it several times in his new map, and I see it all the time as he works on it more and more.

Work on your method, this isnt foundry. New styles must be made.

18. chrstphrbrnnn

chrstphrbrnnn Guardian

It may be the default items, they have extremely strange properties when you set them not to spawn, and save the game. They duplicate, and reset constantly. I would assume this is why you can't geomerge, as the items won't move easily once you save. Use only what you have to from the default items, they are too difficult.

19. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

I keep telling you, you don't have to use the default items any more. Delete those ****ers and be free of their wretched tyranny.

20. Ladnil

Ladnil Ancient

MLG forge forum has found that if the little selector dot is geomerged to where you can't see it, the whole block will sometimes pop out of the merge. So when you're merging in the crypt, just keep the side with the dot facing outward and you should be good to go.

I haven't actually confirmed this myself, so I dont wanna post it in the tips and tricks thread yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.