Sandbox Sand Valley

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by JakeBenz, May 5, 2009.

1. JakeBenz

JakeBenz Ancient

Ptolemy's Valley

Ptolemy's Valley
    A Remix of the Classic
    (or as Falconx03 put it, a Spiritual Successor)
    Blood Gulch

Intro

Hey guys, this is my first post on ForgeHub, and basically I'm a long-time listener, first-time caller. :) I hope you enjoy playing my map as much as I did making it.

Yes, I know this isn't a true remake, but I really couldn't come up for a word to describe it's relationship to Blood Gulch. Falconx03 put it great : A spiritual successor. I guess I just got carried away because I thought that the middle of the original Blood Gulch was really boring, and so I gave it a new twist, and I really had no idea how I could re-create the tunnels and ridges on the sides. And yes, I will be making a v1.2. Remember, this is my first map. I just wanted to see what kind of criticism I would get. Thanks everybody :). Hopefully after I address the problems, some people will revise their scores.

Description
    This is a spiritual successor of the map from Halo : Combat Evolved. I chose to do this map because this is the only retro map I know from Halo 1, because I was cheap and didn't buy the full game, only the demo.. But anyways.. It's a very balanced map, with a large structure in the middle, with a couple of good sniper positions. Each base has two Mongooses, and two Warthogs. Each base also has an energy sword, two shotguns, two plasma rifles, two carbine rifles, two brute shots, and a sniper rifle. It also has a machine gun turret to protect the flag. In the middle of the map there are two gravity hammers, a spartan laser, a rocket launcher, and four SMGs. This map took me about 4 sit-downs, each around 1-2 hours long, the reason it being so long is because I started to experiment with geo-merging, and object merging.

Here are some pictures :

[​IMG]
    This is a view from the back of the red base looking towards the blue base.

[​IMG]
    This is a picture looking from the middle structure towards the blue base.

[​IMG]
    This is a picture looking from the middle structure towards the red base.

[​IMG]
    This is me having some fun on top of the middle structure.

Hey guys, I'm open to all constructive criticism.
    Please don't hate.
    kthxbai ;)

Oh yeah.. D/L link :)
    (I hope this isn't against the rules, as, technically, it's not linked to my file share)
    Bungie.net : Halo 3 File Sets

V1.2 Download link!!
    Bungie.net : Halo 3 File Sets

#1 JakeBenz, May 5, 2009
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
  2. Falconx03

Falconx03 Ancient

I would't exactly say this is a remake for a few reasons. The bases aren't the same as they were in Blood Gulch, they are similar though. The center structure, there was nothing even similar in Blood Gulch. The obvious reason for it not being a remake, which you had no control over, is the size. I would say this is more of a spiritual successor.

Don't get me wrong, this is map is awesome. I think it would be fun to play on. Sorry, I don't do the fraction ratings(1/5 - 2/5 - 3/5 etc).

Although:

as a re-imagination/Spirtual Successor this map is great. As a remake this map is decent and nothing spectacular.

3. X taco king X

X taco king X Ancient

2nded I agree 100% with this post

4. SVV33T SAUC3

SVV33T SAUC3 Ancient

This map is not really a remake in my eyes. Bases are the only resemblence from this to Blood Gulch and the center structure is very different. Also, the name of your map isn't very original. I've probably seen like 6 Sand Valleys on FH in the past week. It does look like the gameplay would be fine. Weapons aren't overkill. The aesthetics don't really pop though. Good job.

5. redeyesmaster

redeyesmaster Ancient

i love the map but this just isn't the base map to set it on. any way for the use of items there is like nothing on the map yet it still looks kinda decent. if i just seen the map i would think beaver creek first. i made a grate map on both but yours does look really good.

6. rewib65

rewib65 Ancient

yea, i agree with everyone else, this isnt a remake of blood gulch, especially the halo 1 version, its slightly closer to the halo 2 version, but only because of the banshees, but the fact that its doesnt look anything like a remake isnt the biggest problem to me. The banshees are a huge problem on this map, its waaaay to open for them, i realize blood gulch was open, but it still had hills and some caves (and bigger bases), the banshees are just too powerful for this map. Sorry dude, 1.5/5

7. JakeBenz

JakeBenz Ancient

read the edit

If you haven't read the edit near the top of my post yet, do not reply saying this is not a true remake.. I know this. I just thought Blood Gulch was a little boring in the middle. Thanks for understanding.