Round Ends Game

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Derk921, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Derk921

Derk921 Forerunner

Well, yesterday I finally decided to forge a slayer map. I was in the game about 2 hours without saving it at all and it was looking pretty nice so far, I was so proud of myself. After starting a round for like the 40th time, I started a new round and instead of saying round over, it says game over. I remembered why I never forged slayer maps. Is there a certain number of times you can start a new round before the game ends or is it just lag? It's starting to really make me mad. (I'll try and have the patience to look through the whole film and take a picture of the map so far.)

2. RightSideTheory

RightSideTheory Legendary
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Save every two or three times, that's the safest way to do it. I can't tell you exactly how many rounds it is, but I believe that it's 15 or 20 or something like that.

3. Ladnil

Ladnil Ancient

32 iirc

But yeah, just save a bunch and quit after a couple hours if you feel like you might be getting close.

4. Scottash

Scottash Ancient

Happened to me once too. There I was, back in the day, must have been a year ago now. Forging furiously away on Foundry, having just discovered the wonders of interlocking. I was creating a base with a secret passage underneath which you could crawl through to infiltrate the base all ninja-like. I hadn't saved my progress for a good two hours, being the naive forger that I was, when I thought all of a sudden that I should really save my progress, after I place just one double box in the next round. Just... one.. double... box...

To my surprise instead of the "Round Over" I'd become so used to hearing that night, I heard "Game Over". A bit shell-shocked I sat just looking at the screen, which had returned to the Forge Lobby, unable to comprehend what exactly had just happened. After a few minutes I pulled myself together and picked up my controller with shaking hands. I watched the game countdown timer start, each second passing by agonisingly slowly, as the forge game started up again, hoping that there was some form of auto-save function. My hopes were dashed as I spawn on an empty map having never felt so alone. I start new rounds in vain, waiting for my map to miraculously spawn out of nowhere. Nothing happens. In another frantic bid to retrieve my map I check my recent maps, and find the very canvas I had been forging on! Maybe.. just maybe.. but no.

I look online, typing in the same query to every search engine I know of; "Retrieve lost Halo 3 Forge Map". No-one can help me, not even the internet knows the answer. It is then that I realise that my two hours of work had all been for nothing, no-one will ever know of my creation. It is nothing but a distant memory by now. I think of starting it again, but I know the process will be too painful, it could never be the same. I cried a little bit that day.

#4 Scottash, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  5. Black Theorem

Black Theorem Ancient

Sorry, but that's really good storytelling.

And as Ladnil said, somewhere is the 30 rounds range is where the game won't allow you to start a new round. It's probably because of a built-in cache limit, so nothing can be done about it. OP's gonna have to start over on his map.

6. Jex Yoyo

Jex Yoyo POETRY, bitch.

32 bro, exactly. I reccomend saving VERY often. Also, why did you start so many new rounds? Are you using the original methods of interlocking or something?

7. Noxiw

Noxiw Ancient

You would get defensive about that. =P

But srsly, theres no need to start 32 new rounds in a forging session with the advancement in techniques we use. If you don't ghost merge, start ghost merging.

#7 Noxiw, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  8. Jex Yoyo

Jex Yoyo POETRY, bitch.

Hahaha i wasnt being defensive.... ;)
    Anyway i was trying to do the same thing as you sorta. I highly reccomend any player who has already go and read this. It will help in so many ways.

9. Derk921

Derk921 Forerunner

lol I don't ghost merge. I was making a pretty tight space and there was around 20 objects all in a small area.

10. Jex Yoyo

Jex Yoyo POETRY, bitch.

Logical Persuasion
    I HIGHLY reccomend that you try it out, because it is pretty easy to use compared to all the other techniques, and it improves the quality of your maps to a level beyond comprehension. Actually, not really as much as i just said, but it does improve it hugely.

Peer Pressure
    All the good forgers are doing it, you should too!

Edit:^^^When you think thats as funny as i do, thats when you know you have been up too long...^^^

#10 Jex Yoyo, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  11. L4D

L4D Forerunner

yes! Its a known glitch! I remember forging with my friend, we need to start new round to place items, but after awhile it ends the game! omg i was so ma, hours of hard work gone to nothing. It is always best to save after 2-5 of reseting the rounds, better safe then sorry

#11 L4D, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  12. Derk921

Derk921 Forerunner

lol I know how to ghost merge, I was just trying to make it completely flat. Plus, I only ghost merge when I absolutely need to, it shows no skill if you're good at ghost merging.

13. Scottash

Scottash Ancient

Why thank you kind sir. True story though, I was absolutely gutted when it happened. So moved was I upon remembering these tragic events that I felt compelled to put them to words so that I may inform others about the round limit so that they may not too make the same mistake and die a little bit on the inside, as I did.

14. xWooden leafx

xWooden leafx Ancient

lol. this has happened twice to me. once to a power surge, and once to the glitch you said.
    this, my xbox breaking and not being able to load highground, and ADHD has made me quit forging. ive started so many maps, and as soon as i get really close to finishing... BOOM. boredom. or lightning. or scary scary game over voice.

15. Korlash

Korlash Remember Isao

Thanks for making me feel like crap, ghost merging is more frustrating than you think. There's no skill in it, but still time and effort

anyways, OT, The game ending is the worst thing ever. its either a glitch or i just press start + R trigger + A, by force of habit.

16. MousseMooseROCKS

But it's only 9:51! :(

Also, bravo for the story, Scottash. That story should make you want to save. Honestly, I have learned to save on just about every ghost merge. Not only is this a good lesson for forging, but do this for homework. Many people have had things deleted in word or other programs due to not saving their progress.

17. Oo iRoNy oO

Oo iRoNy oO Ancient

Yes! I hate that so much it has happened to me so many times that I have grown paranoid. I now save after every time I do something even remotely productive.