Ride the Mech

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Casual Maps' started by BattyMan, Jun 10, 2008.

1. BattyMan

BattyMan Ancient

For how long have we been forced to enjoy giant robots on a strictly visual level? Will there ever be a time when we are given control of these great mechanical beasts?

Gentlemen, I say that time is now.
    [​IMG]

You’ll be using this mech to help your team defend its territories. While piloting, your attack options are to either fire the machine gun or to use one of the mech’s various missile launchers.
    [​IMG]
    The missile launchers are controlled with a simple flick of the left joystick. Move right to fire the right missile, moving left fires the left missile, and titling the control stick forward activates two missiles which target the area straight ahead of you. Keep in mind that each missile takes ten seconds to reload.

The only automatic weapon on the mech is the missile battery, it’ll fire off a missile cluster every thirty seconds.
    [​IMG]

There are seven territories to be taken, the first four are vulnerable to fire from the mech’s missile launchers. The fifth territory is located within the area targeted by the missile battery. Those attempting to take this territory will need to have proper timing; step onto the territory immediately after the missile battery fires and you should have enough time to capture the area before the second round of missiles launch.
    [​IMG]
    -View of the territories from the mech's cockpit-

The last two territories are inaccessible unless the mech is issued some battle damage. The attackers will need to shoot the fusion coils located in the back of the mech’s two knee joints to expose the last two territories (after damaging the mech, telleporters located in the attacker’s base can be used to move the attackers into the hidden territories).
    [​IMG]

Also located in the attacker’s base are some plasma pistols and deployable covers. The deployable cover will serve as vital protection against the mech’s machine gun fire. The plasma pistol can be used to immobilize the inner workings of the mech, removing its missile firing capabilities (other than the missile battery).

The attackers can also protect themselves from the mech’s missiles be having a teammate move to the side of the mech and shoot the missiles before they have a chance to fire. Another option is to have one person stand on the territory while a teammate off to the side shoots down the incoming missiles.

Lastly, I want to be honest here and say that the missile firing mechanisms aren’t perfect. I spent a lot of time building and reworking them, eventually getting the launchers to a point where they work correctly about three quarters of the time. But the fusions coils on this map seem to have a mind of their own and love to act unpredictably, fall over ineffectually, explode inexplicably, and flat out miss their intended target when launched. Like I said, I spent a lot of time working out these issues, but they’ll still pop up from time to time. Here are some things you can do to help reduce the chances of having a firing mechanism mess up.

-After moving left, right, or forward try not to remain in that position for too long, if you do you may interfere with the respawning of the fusion coils.
    -Fusion coils are fragile, don’t ram into them too suddenly, try to keep your movement smooth.
    -It may be tempting to move around wildly when firing the machine gun at attackers, but try to keep yourself as stationary as possible, moving into awkward angles can knock fusion coils out of place and can also create a number of other problems.

Keep those tips in mind and this map should run smoothly.

Gametype:
    Go Mech Go!

Map:
    Ride the Mech

#1 BattyMan, Jun 10, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
    MattDGiant likes this.
  2. raging_jordan

raging_jordan Ancient

Awwsome. Yay, first post.
    Is there a tank built in for a cockpit?

#2 raging_jordan, Jun 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  3. Killerjoker11

Killerjoker11 Ancient

Looks sweet, yet shouldn't it be in competitive...? Nice rockets on Mech never seen anyone do that before. :)

4. UGA ROCK

UGA ROCK Ancient

Aww...SWEET!!!!!!!

5. unforgiven91

unforgiven91 Ancient

Looks really well built. these kinds of maps are not my thing but it is a very nice map. I will dissect it later to see how you did everything. Good work :)

6. Supernaut

Supernaut Ancient

Very nice, I really like the missile launchers I was trying to build some missile launchers until I gave up. Great map I am downloading it now and will get back to you on it.

7. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Oh. My. God.

This looks soooooo awesome! You make masterpieces, sir. Really and truly.

8. Eyeless Sid

Eyeless Sid Ancient

Very well thought out. Good work :)

9. darkmuse19

darkmuse19 Ancient

very creative idea batty. the mech looks great and i just love the missile battery. looks like something out of chromehounds or armored core 4. great job

10. BattyMan

BattyMan Ancient

Thanks for the compliments so far.

Really, competitive? They'd eat me alive over there.

No, tanks aren't mobile enough, a hornet is used to activate the various missile launchers.

11. LOCK.xcf

LOCK.xcf Ancient

looks amazing, love the turet

this is just amazing 5/5

12. !nikheizen

!nikheizen Ancient

You, sir, have done a very sexy thing, +Rep for you.

13. The Shasta Can

The Shasta Can Ancient

omg really good
    a self piloted mech? great

good job

how r u albe to do that cannon

cant even beleive it

very creative

#13 The Shasta Can, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2008
  14. SlasheI2

SlasheI2 Ancient

This is one of the most creative ideas i have ever seen! I really like how you made the missiles operational and that the mech could be destroyed. you have my dl.

15. The Hudacris

The Hudacris Ancient

Wow. Another great map that we can play. You enjoy making your maps on Avalanche dont you.

16. BattyMan

BattyMan Ancient

Avalanche is great because it's basically empty but still has a interesting enough landscape, allowing me to concentrate solely on my idea and not have to worry about making a playing field. Like Arctic Horror for example, I had the idea to make a big monster that pops into play ever since Foundry first came out, but I didn’t want to have to make some kind of arena around the thing.

17. Fillmore Roy

Fillmore Roy Ancient

Crap dude, this should be featured. I'm amazed that this thread doesn't have more than 3 pages of posts. I've never seen a robot that is fully explorable, and also has a weapon that fires on its own. I'm definitely DL'ing this. I'll run around in Forge for a bit, then I'll gather my thoughts and add them to this post. Looks like some fun...

EDIT: I feel horrible not returning a critique nearly as fast as I had wanted to; please forgive me for that. I haven't touched Halo 3 since CoD:WaW came out, and recent events have slowed my critique-returning ability to its lowest level ever. However, I did have the ability to run around with a friend for a while a long time back, and this map was SICK! The firing mechanisms worked near-flawlessly, and the cover given is sufficient, and makes things intense during game. Overall, very well done. Easily worth a DL and play for a while.

#17 Fillmore Roy, Jun 13, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  18. Higgins113

Higgins113 Ancient

DL'ing, man your maps are great :)

19. Artistmo

Artistmo Ancient

This is pretty cool.

20. Stealth VVolf

Stealth VVolf Ancient

Map looks amazing I'd love to DL it but i"m not sure how to.... Anyone willing to tell me?