Reach

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Shock Theta, May 25, 2008.

1. Shock Theta

Shock Theta Father of 4chub
    Forge Critic Senior Member

[​IMG]

A little something I put together this morning. Constructive comments/crits more than welcome.

Stock used: UNSCDF Badge
    Everything else - default brushes and filters only
    Text is my own and inspired by Halo canon comm transcripts

2. TDH

TDH Ancient

Looks very nice, very techy.
    Reminds of the sort of thing you'd see in a cut scene for a RTS game.

3. Roche178

Roche178 Ancient

Wow thats really cool funny how I just finished reading the fall of reach it really gives me a feeling of the book.

4. Shock Theta

That's awesome. I'm glad it came across with that particular aesthetic - it was what I was aiming for.

5. Metroshell

Metroshell Ancient

Oh, so its from a book? What one?

6. Shock Theta

'The Fall of Reach' is the book title, but Reach is mentioned in a lot of other Halo fiction too, including Halo 2. The appearance of the planet in this image is my own imagining though, influenced primarily by the books and games. I can't guarantee the appearance of the planet's surface is accurate.

7. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Oooh, I like it a lot. I'd like to know more of what made you think of doing this. Is there more to it that we can look forward to?

8. Shock Theta

I was thinking back to the comm transcripts that bungie have released in the past which people analysed and scratched their heads over, and wanted to incorporate that into a more challenging 'shop than I'm used to doing.

I do indeed plan on making more. The resolution is high enough that you can zoom in on the image to try to pick out what the text is saying, but small enough that it isn't too easy. The wording is intentional and specific - you may be able to decode what is happening in the transcript but it may need some knowledge/research and some guesswork and I don't expect anyone to spend the time pondering it. Once I release more I'll analyse the older images to reveal what is happening 'behind the scenes'.

I hope a few people are caught up in it, but if not I'll still enjoy putting them together. I grew a little in the use of the 'shop by creating it, and I think that's a good enough thing on its own.

9. Furious D 18

Furious D 18 Ancient

I love all aspects of Halo fiction. How accurate is this pic to the actual Reach? What text made you decide on this look for the planet? I've read all the books, but sadly I forget a lot of it, so what are the chances that you can post some source material?

10. Shock Theta

[​IMG]

Pillar of Autumn escaping Reach being glassed

System name, Gravity, Atmospheric pressure and Population are all accurate

Subtle references in the text corroborate with specific human activity on Reach

Sadly, no MAC guns in the pic, I felt they would detract... as far as the planet's surface goes, there are mentions of vast areas of forest/woodland if you recall the initial SPARTAN training scenarios. There's also some element of highlands but the overall picture is of a green and dense planet which informed the image I went after, but I did allow myself a fairly reasonable degree of freedom with it.

11. L0v3 C4v3

L0v3 C4v3 Ancient

It's a really cool picture and some of the text makes me feel like there is a little leprechaun kicking my brain trying to get my attention.