Rainbow Dash

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by Scobra, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Scobra

Scobra Ancient

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rainbow Dash is a map I started quite a while ago. For all things considered, it's been finished roughly since Christmas. The only thing keeping me from posting it was how I lost my interest in Halo but the announcement of the 2v2 Throwdown map thing coupled with the fact my Live subscription is running out soon and I don't have money to renew it, I decided I might as well post it.

At its core, Rainbow Dash was not built with a specific amount of players in mind. Anywhere between 4 to 8 is preferred but I will warn you that spawns and the like will probably falter under the weight of any extra players. As far as gametypes go, I can't remember exactly what I set it up for (and I'm lazy so I'm not going to check,) but I do know it is set up for Slayer, KOTH, Headhunter, Stockpile, and CTF. As far as testing goes, I've only tested this map three times and I don't have films of the games so there aren't any action shots. To add on to that, I've only tested Slayer. I still set set up other gametypes anyway because, well, why not?

Anyway, here's a weapon list followed by some fashionably ugly screenshots to tickle you in your no-no place. Feedback on the GAMEPLAY would be appreciated but keep in mind that I have no way of updating it for a while after tomorrow.

WEAPONS---
    note: I'm too lazy to check the spawn times, ammo count, and quantity. Deal w/ it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SCREENS---

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy the map. If you don't, you can lick my butt.

#1 Scobra, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2011
  2. Rho Fs

Rho Fs 2x2 Forge Judge

Not only do I dig the aesthetics of this map, but I'm loving the whole post. Creative header is creative. The layout seems a little confusing from the pictures but nothing a game or two can't fix. Looks like a lot of fun to play on. If I ever get on, I'll have to try it out. I may have missed it in the OP but how long did it take you to forge?

P.S. Remember me ;)

EDIT: Rocket platform is extra sexy

#2 Rho Fs, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  3. Scobra

Scobra Ancient

The pictures make it seem confusing but it is very straightforward. You'll be able to know the layout within the first minute or two of a game unless you're, like, stupid or something. The map took me a combined 48-50 hours to build and that does not include any modifications made after the three tests that I have had on it.

Also, that ain't a Rocket platform because Rockets are dumb.

and >implying I would ever forget you. :D

4. Rabid Phox 830

Rabid Phox 830 Forerunner

This just looks awesome. Something about the layout just reminds me of old school Halo.
    The aesthetics are excellent. Nothing stands out too much. Great job on this map.

5. ehand88

ehand88 Ancient

Well I loaded Rainbow Dash up in custom games and had some fun. I like the simple layout of the map (it is very straightforward like you said once you get in a game) and height variations provided by the natural terrain. The side with all the struts is pretty sweet as well. The only issue that should concern you (and this is referring the Throwdown tournament) is the split-screen lag. If you have time, you might want to create another version with some trimmed down aesthetics for the competition because it must support split-screen. Good luck.

#5 ehand88, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  6. Scobra

Scobra Ancient

Entering it in the competition was an afterthought. I'll probably go and make an updated variant really quick and update my post in it the submission thread.

Thanks for the positive feedback too.

7. Minister Muffin

Minister Muffin Forerunner

Okay this is drop-dead-AMAZING! The colors with the design go perfect together, and the gameplay seems pretty well though out. It actually looks like the entire place just bursted into color. You only used one FX (correct me if I'm wrong) which can be hard when making maps like these. Amazing 10/10

8. Scobra

Scobra Ancient

It's actually a bunch of photoshop filters applied to the original screenshots, not a filter.

Though the map really DOES have a good amount of colour in it to help distinguish the sides and create call outs regardless.

9. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented
    Forge Critic Senior Member

"WOAH WOAH WOAH. HOLD THE FUN BUNS UP."

I love you Brendon.

The couple of times I played this map, it was pretty fun and the simple layout was easy to learn right off the bat, which is a really good thing. There's not much flair to the map, but it plays very well, so that's cool.

Cool map bro. Sad Ace is sad that losing XBL Brendon is losing XBL.