Race Standard Gametype?

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Ray Benefield, Jan 25, 2008.

1. NotACoolPlace

NotACoolPlace Ancient

emphasis added

Why do you think 200% gravity is fine? Nobody is going to jump around the map to win the race, maybe run. Well, I feel that 100% gravity is fine. The thing is, how many maps are going to be created in the future where the "starting line" is not on the track? Not many, because someone will have an advantage start.

I think suspended racetrack starting points are the bomb.

Everyone should keep the "Bungie 500" gametype, since it was the first to show the lap system. But new tracks aren't going to be like that always. Alot of "resources" (objects, scenery) is going to be used up where people can't create a pit lane, for cars to start at - off the race track. One simple bridge, suspended, is going to start being used more (I think), in the future.

Honestly, after I typed all this, I think there should be "R. Gametype A suspended start" and "R. Gametype B new section-o-course start".

2. Kirilby

Kirilby Ancient

Something that should b pointed out is the plasma pistol, sure it's chaos when people spawn with it as everyone just shoots everything, but maybe theres a way to implement it in. such as placing it on the map somewhere?

3. Glimflicker

Glimflicker Ancient

It might be fun for a while, but it's far too easy to grief with in my opinion. The more accessible griefing is in a racing map, the sooner it degenerates into something other than a race (in the hands of the 'average gamer').

I think that everything should be evaluated in terms of what players can do on a map. If there's anything I've learned from making maps, it's that players will always surprise you by doing exactly what you didn't intend--and then some. I think that maps get better and better by making it as hard as possible for players to ruin others' enjoyment. Also, I haven't had a chance to go over all of the settings you posted yet, so I won't comment on them now.

4. Ray Benefield

Ray Benefield Godly Perfection
    Forge Critic

This is looking good... Glim after you guys have a finalized version, then again PM me, and also decide who will be hosting the standard... basically who posts it on the bungie forums. In the description of the gametype should include something like "This is the Racing gametype standard for Forge Hub. Special thanks to the main contributers for the standard, including: insert names here" or something along those lines... keep up the good work Glim and the rest of you.

5. Sagan

Sagan Ancient

Hmmm....I have a question....perhaps I just posted my latest map in the wrong forum.

Mad Max on Thunder Road

This is essentially a "race" but makes full use of weapons and needs no "honor rules." Because I am not adhering to a "standard race type" should my post have been in Competitive maps instead?

6. Glimflicker

Glimflicker Ancient

No, you did well. The ForgeHub standard race gametype isn't even complete yet. If it still has more of a race feel to it rather than competitive or mini game, then by all means post it where it makes the most sense to you.

7. M0KKAN

M0KKAN Ancient

I 100% agree. The focus of this gametype is essentially to stop griefers. Lap counting has already been figured out.

Gravity should not really affect start points. It only affects the player's jumping ability, not the mongoose. Maps with aerial start points will have to have places for geese and players, otherwise they will have to change settings in the lobby (or create their own gametype, which will still be an option).
    High gravity settings prevent players from running to a high area (i.e. top of a jump) and jumping to another area of the map. The only reason my Motocross map works is because you can't jump over the walls from some of the bridges/stairs I have used. This does not affect driving since gravity does not affect vehicles.
    Gating areas (start points) give an inherent advantage to certain positions. This is why qualifying is done in most forms of racing; the faster drivers get better start points so there is not a traffic jam at the start. We don't get to qualify, so one player will likely have a small advantage over the rest. Track design can minimize this, but you might just have to start in 2nd or 3rd after the first corner.

I think we're pretty close to something good here. I don't really care who posts it, I'll do it if you don't want to, Glim. Regardless, we should agree here before posting.

8. thelastlaugh27

thelastlaugh27 Ancient

You can use C u l8ers RACETRACKS. 10,000 people already use it... Hundreds, maybe a thousand tracks have been tailored to it. I believe we should use it...

9. Glimflicker

Glimflicker Ancient

Try using logic in a compelling argument rather than just asking us to conform, and we just might! :p

Sorry for going ballistic earlier, but you seem to have a knack for getting under people's skin. I'm well aware of it now and will try to prevent similar outbursts in the future.

10. NotACoolPlace

NotACoolPlace Ancient

Me: I didn't say that 200% gravity affects the mongoose.

Me: I never meant to imply that it did.

11. M0KKAN

M0KKAN Ancient

Didn't mean to offend you NotACoolPlace. I can't think of why you would need to jump as part of a race start, but if you tell me which map has the start type you're talking about, I'll take a look at it to see what you mean.

12. NotACoolPlace

NotACoolPlace Ancient

I mean, starting off is fine. I just like on my track how people can get a new mongoose if they want to.

Ok, I've got it! Do a custom powerup with gravity 100% (normal). Then, if you need someone to be able to jump up somewhere and grab another mongoose (someone stole yours), you can use the custom powerup.

13. wizardofsuoz

wizardofsuoz Ancient

i would simply make all the players invulnerable. basically rocket race without the rockets. or with the rockets, it definitely makes the game interesting.

14. Glimflicker

Glimflicker Ancient

Originally I was completely against invulnerability because it negated the penalty box idea. Then I got to thinking about ways to improve on the penalty box idea, and came up with a way to make it work even when players are invulnerable. Instead of teleporting players into a penalty box with fusion coils, you could instead teleport them somewhere outside the map and near the death barrier (I got the idea from Sniper Pit).

Instead of using the fence box as a penalty box, I'd probably just use it as a spectator's area. When people play Bungie 500 with me, I typically intentionally go into the Penalty Box so that I can just watch the race and help people that are new.

Ah, I've got the itch to forge it all right now, but I'm at work. :(

15. Mastar

Mastar Ancient

Hey Im John I'm from New Zealand, Im new to forge hub (this is actually my first post)

i have one idea that could kinda work... if you make a race map and it complies with the "standard race gametype" put a star "*" or something after the map name... that way people will recognise that they can use the standard race gametype..
    and if it requires a special gametype, then you're just gonna have to download the specific gametype

PS somebody should make a race similar to Bungie 500 but on Standoff and make it really long and circle round.. considering Im kinda noob at forging, someone else do it

16. Unleash Mayhem

Unleash Mayhem Ancient

Good idea, when we have a gametype to implement that ;-)

I agree with the 200% gravity thing, and the death barrier idea is innovative to say the least. But are there any maps used for race that don't have death barriers?

Custom Powerup seems ok, but could be considered a waste of money. Might be worth adding it in to the standard so it can be added if needed.

And possibly taking off 0% damage and making invulnerability a proximity trait. Give everyone an AR or BR and then any non-VIP who falls off can be easily killed to speed up respawn times.

EDIT: Welcome John, glad to have you on the forum :D

17. Madness4mayhem

Madness4mayhem Ancient

I suggest using king of the hill. And laying out the hills in order for people to make there way around the track. The only bad thing is that the minimum time for a hill to stay at one spot is 10 seconds which means if someone has already passed it and is already past the next hill it will take forever for the hill to catch up to him therefore there should be a minimum time of 5 seconds for king of the hill gametype.

18. eating beans

eating beans Ancient

good idea....stupid 100 download limit

19. Unleash Mayhem

Unleash Mayhem Ancient

It isn't bad, but I think most people here would 100% prefer a VIP gametype as it designed for race

20. Darkleathal12

Darkleathal12 Ancient

I have been working on a race map, while I will still am making a specialized gametype, I have made it compatible with all current VIP based race gametypes. What do you guys think? Hope it helps.

:squirrel_chatting: