Question on interlocking.

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by drawnzer54, Jan 26, 2009.

1. drawnzer54

drawnzer54 Ancient

Well, I know how to interlock boxes and such now, and it's pretty simple, but say I want to interlock a ramp going on an angle with a a ramp laying flat higher up.
    ----------__
    (Like this / --)(I used the ---'s as spaces to keep the lines in place)

I've seen it done so well (Like on the map Cenotaph, picture below is from Cenotaph, created by Iv0ry Snak3. )
    [​IMG]

Any tips for how to do this? or even better could you show me in a forge session?

EDIT: Sorry for creating two help posts in such a short time, I'm just getting so involved in Forge I want to know everything I can do.

2. M.Jelleh

M.Jelleh Ancient

Well it takes a bit of trial and error and a bit of technique
    You want to place your top one first and make it stay in the air
    then spawn a new bridge beneath it and make sure it is exactly in line with the top
    Pull that down until it is beneath where you want the other bridge to go, but make sure it is still in line and flat with the top bridge. When you have that where you want it to go, use the save/quit glitch to float it.
    Start a new game. Turn the top bridge to set to start no and 180 seconds. Start a new round and place a bridge exactly on top of the bridge that is left. Spawn the top bridge, delete the one on the bottom of them and if you like the interlock, keep it.

3. iZumi

iZumi Ancient

Pretty much just use scaffolding and guides. And Cenotaph is by Iv0ry Snak3.

4. drawnzer54

drawnzer54 Ancient

Thanks!
    I never would of thought of that, I'll try this out tomorrow and if the thread is still around, post if it worked or not =]

5. Ladnil

Ladnil Ancient

Just lay a bridge against the object at the angle you want your ramp to go to. You might have to set up a guide down lower as the base if you aren't touching the ground with this.

Then interlock that bridge with a wall that you lay flat on top of your target object, creating a corner at the exact point where you need the top of your ramp to be, and at the angle you want the ramp. Despawn the target object.

If floating, either save/quit float a ramp pressed firmly into that corner, or do the easier way and have a man cannon set up to press your ramp into that corner. Adjust as necessary, delete your guides, spawn the target object and TADA! You've got a perfect ramp.

Geomerging it is only slightly trickier. You'll still be laying the bridge and the wall to create that corner, but this time you have to press the ramp into the floor the perfect amount while maintaining your angle.

Despawn everything but your guide bridge. Either save/quit or use a man cannon to float your ramp against the underside of that bridge, so you have the correct angle but not the correct height.

Now spawn the flat wall, so you have the bridge, the ramp, and the flat wall but NOT the target object. Set up guides tightly around your ramp object on all sides for geomerging. SAVE THE GAME.

Now grab the ramp, and the flat wall does the job that many people use doors for; it pushes your ramp into the floor until it is no longer intersecting other immovable objects. If you're lucky your ramp finished geomerging perfectly and you can delete all your guides and have the ramp perfect. If you're not lucky, you have to either grab it again or quit and load the last save.

Basically the key is to get that corner set up between the bridge guide and the flat wall you set up, everything else is just standard forging techniques.

6. drawnzer54

drawnzer54 Ancient

THAT sounds confusing.
    Mind showing me this in a Forge session?

><

7. Ladnil

Ladnil Ancient

Friend request me and I can show you, sorry I was a little buzzed when I wrote all that so it not only took me about an hour to write, it came out confusing. Plus I've never seen anyone else ever talk about using man cannons the way I use them to get things lined up so I can see where that would be confusing.

8. EpicFishFingers

EpicFishFingers Ancient

We'll have to show him this either:

- In a forge session
    - In a picture tut/vid tut

I've never even tried to do this before, so if you pull this off, then you have some real forging skill. I don't thinkl even Iv0ry Sn4ke pulled it off completely; I think there is a slight bump in it when you go down the ramp. So it is difficult.

9. Ladnil

Ladnil Ancient

lol fishfingers, I wouldn't try to claim my ramps are somehow the messiah of ramps that even Ivory couldn't do, just that I haven't seen anyone do it that way before and it works for me. I don't even have a decent map under my belt, but I'll make a video of what I'm talking about with the man cannons and put it in my fileshare tonight.

edit:

Got them, here you go:
    I made a ramp at an extreme angle, and used a double box as the ramp rather than a bridge like centotaph, but the concept is the same no matter the material.

Setup and first try. Here I set the whole thing up then save and try the geomerge, it doesn't work so I quit out to try and get a better merge.

Redo. I redo the merge, and get a slightly better result though still not perfect. This was all quickly tossed together and I probably did something sloppy in my setup that caused this to not merge right, but the proof of concept is there. Also, you'll notice in this do-over I had to stick a teleporter node down bottom of the bridge so the box would stop spazzing through the bridge, a technique that works if you're using bridges as guides for geomerging. Walls are generally a better idea to merge with though.

10. drawnzer54

drawnzer54 Ancient

Downloading it now.
    Mind if I add you anyways?
    You're cool so, yea. lol