Pyramis

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by goomaestro005, Feb 5, 2011.

1. goomaestro005

goomaestro005 Forerunner

[​IMG]

My goal with this map was to pretty much construct a pyramid shape from the outside, then work my way in. Instead of getting a perfect pyramid, I ended up with what you see in the picture above. However, I like the way this map looks from the outside better than I would have something that looked like a real pyramid.

With the quasi-pyramid in place, I began working on the inside. After some thought and many changes as I went along, I ended up with a rather smallish sized map where 4 team bases (red, blue, green, and orange) man each corner, and are relatively close to each other. I did what I think worked to keep the bases separated in a way, with cover pieces, and tried to make it so you could start a match and immediately see enemies.

The pyramid is relatively simple. The battle can take place mostly on the level you spawn, or you can work your way up along some bridging to get elevation on opponents. Regardless of where you are at, staying in one spot for more than a few seconds wouldn't be recommended.

The weapons you can find on the map are:

2 Assault Rifles, 2 clips, 30 second respawn
    2 Plasma Turrets, 45 second respawn
    1 Shotgun, 1 clip, 60 second respawn
    1 Grenade Launcher, 2 clips, 75 second respawn
    1 Energy Sword, 150 second respawn*
    1 Rocket Launcher, 0 clips, 120 second respawn
    2 Needlers, 1 clip, 45 second respawn
    4 DMRs, 4 clips, 45 second respawn
    4 Frag and 4 Plasma Grenades, 20 second respawn
    1 Camo Power Up, 150 second respawn**
    6 Health Stations, 30 second respawn

*Does not spawn at start of match
    ** Does not spawn at start of match, available only in FFA matches

My personal recommended number of players and game types would be as follows:

FFA - 8 Max
    2 Team - 4 per team max
    3 and 4 Team - 2 per team max

Slayer/Team Slayer
    Slayer Pro/Team Slayer Pro
    Elite Slayer/Team Elite Slayer
    SWAT/Team SWAT
    Classic Slayer/Team Classic Slayer
    Neutral Flag
    Neutral Bomb
    Oddball
    FH Throwdown

*Im not sure whether the Jetpack loadout for game types would be a good idea, since it is an enclosed map that gets more narrow as you elevate.

Although I do feel the map can get a bit cramped the more people playing on it, that is the kind of feel I was going for. It is open, but at the same time you can easily get out of someones LoS by dodging under or behind objects. I wanted gameplay to be a bit hectic, rather than having to try and hunt down opponents. Well, instead of trying to explain what I wanted to accomplish with this map, let us see some pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Picture Below: Where each teams Flag Stand is at their base
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did have fun building this map and I personally enjoyed messing around with it in some different modes. I personally liked how I was able to make Neutral Flag and Bomb a bit different, in that you only have to take the bomb to the top of the map from the bottom and you have to go all the way to the top of the map to grab the flag then all the way back to the bottom, as I was worried of having the two game variants have the same style of play.

#1 goomaestro005, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  2. Equin0x

Equin0x Forerunner

This map is very inovative and interesting, my only concern would be that the grenade launcher and shotgun seem too close to eachother, but whatever. The structure of this map seems very sound and the fact that it is in a pyramid makes it worth a DL.