Prison Break 0

Discussion in 'Reach Mini Game Maps' started by Sasquatch, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Ancient

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Basics
    Some puzzles are painstakingly frustrating. Others may be thoughtlessly simple. What I offer you today is what I consider a medium-difficulty puzzle. The obstacles throughout this map are mostly logical – once you know how to complete a challenge, replicating the feat should be relatively simple. Prison Break 0 contains three "quests," each containing a section of challenges. To reduce the frustration of death, this map has a simple checkpoint system.

Aesthetics
    This map was not designed around any central theme, but that doesn’t mean you can’t gaze at its architectural attractiveness. As far as looks are concerned, everything is combined cleanly (as seen from the interior, at least) and pretty much every object serves a purpose, either toward solving a challenge or preventing a challenge from being exploited.

Pictures

Spawn
    [​IMG]

Turret
    [​IMG]

Preventative
    [​IMG]

Teleporter
    [​IMG]

Coils
    [​IMG]

OneWay
    [​IMG]

Onward
    [​IMG]

Unbreakable
    [​IMG]

One Will Suffice
    [​IMG]

Key
    [​IMG]

Go for it
    [​IMG]

The Quests
    There are three quests. Each is slightly more difficult than the prior. The beginning of each new quest is the spawn room. Once you've opened a new quest, kill yourself to respawn back there.

What you should know:

• Every usable object WILL need to be used in some way.
    • The only exception to the prior rule is the health pack in Quest 3, which is there for your convenience alone.
    • Every time you snipe a faraway fusion coil, you are opening up one of the teleporters in the spawn room. You must kill yourself to get back. Then enter the teleporter.
    • Multiples of the same object are only there in case there is a larger party (2-4 players).
    • This map is only slightly breakable with cooperative teamwork.
    • Don’t be an Elite. The puzzle will not be possible.

Hints:

Quest #1
    (Difficulties: EASY, MILD, MEDIUM, CHALLENGE)

Challenge 1 *
    [EASY] Escape your cell. This is so easy I’ll just tell you how to do it – crouch. That’s it.

Even though you have to repeat this step every time you respawn, for your convenience this will never again be counted as a challenge.

After that, jump out of the room… this is so straightforward I didn’t want to count it as a separate challenge either.

How to tell you’re done with this challenge: You will have fallen and taken damage from the fall.
    Challenge 2
    [MILD] Do something with the turret that you normally wouldn't think possible.

How to tell you’re done: You will have a Mongoose.
    Challenge 3
    [EASY] Mongooses are fairly short.

How to tell you’re done: You will have an armor ability.
    Challenge 4
    [MEDIUM] Jumping into the teleporter is making you fall off. But you want to stay.

Another hint:
    Speed is detrimental.
    How to tell you’re done: You will have crossed the gap.
    Challenge 5 *
    [MEDIUM] Can you activate something with your armor ability? Yes. Yes, you can.

How to tell you’re done: You will have a Sniper Rifle.

Snipe the faraway fusion coil. Then kill yourself.
    An asterisk (*) indicates that the challenge is made easier in Prison Break 0 Lite.
    Quest #2

Challenge 1 *
    [MEDIUM] Combine two things. The first is momentum...

Another hint:
    The second thing is to crouch at the last moment – while still walking forward.
    How to tell you’re done: You will be in a large room with traffic cones.
    Challenge 2 *
    [MILD] First, you must jump. Second, you must move along the edge of the precipice.

Another hint:
    Do it quickly.
    How to tell you’re done: You will have a DMR.
    Challenge 3 *
    [MEDIUM] A wall of fusion coils explodes when a propane tank detonates, but something else happens in the next room… there is no time to spare.

Another hint:
    You can make this object go backwards if you hit it in the correct spot.
    How to tell you’re done: You will have a Toy.
    Challenge 4
    [MILD] Go over the Objectives – the cost of failure is death. Use your new Toy.

How to tell you’re done: You will be next to a ladder.
    Challenge 5
    [MEDIUM] First, you must climb. Second, you must leap, but when?

Another hint:
    Leap earlier than you want to.
    How to tell you’re done: You will have an armor ability.
    Challenge 6
    [EASY] Your new armor ability will let you easily traverse a forceful push.

How to tell you’re done: You will have a Sniper Rifle.

Snipe the faraway fusion coil. Then kill yourself.
    An asterisk (*) indicates that the challenge is made easier in Prison Break 0 Lite.
    Quest #3

Challenge 1
    [MEDIUM] Sometimes, the only thing you need to do is absolutely nothing whatsoever. After you set things in motion, of course.

How to tell you’re done: You will have landed on the 1x5 Block.
    Challenge 2
    [MEDIUM] You need to slow your momentum in midair? But you have no parachute!

Another hint:
    Eject! Eject!
    How to tell you’re done: There’s a teleporter there. Enter it.
    Challenge 3 *
    [MEDIUM] You need to obtain two objects. There are two paths of jumps. Each is capped off with a ladder. Be careful about where you fall if you fall – death can be avoided with prudence.

How to tell you’re done: You will have an armor ability AND two of something else.
    Challenge 4
    [CHALLENGE] Boom. Best of fortunes.

How to tell you’re done: You will have a new armor ability.
    Challenge 5
    [MILD] Detonate the explosive to clear the way.

How to tell you’re done: There will be a final teleporter for you to enter.

[FINISH LINE!]

Looking for something a little more relaxing? Try...

Prison Break 0 Lite!

Prison Break 0 Lite:

• The challenges are all the same – but the peskier obstacles have been tweaked to make your adventure easier! (Seriously, on Prison Break 0 Lite several challenges will require less precision and most of the jumping throughout is drastically simpler)
    • An asterisk (*) in the hints indicates that the challenge is made easier in Prison Break 0 Lite!

Nomenclature
    Some of you may be wondering, “Why is this map called Prison Break Zero?” Well, this map is a prequel to my series of six Halo 3 puzzles (which weren't posted). This puzzle was planned for Halo 3, started in Halo 3, and finished… in Halo: Reach. The name may not be original, but since Prison Break was my first set of maps I ever created back in Halo 3 and they hold a special place in my heart, I felt the urge to give my one and only Reach puzzle map the same name.

Best of fortunes on Prison Break 0!

2. sheehy1023

sheehy1023 Forerunner

I recently got back into the puzzle mood, so it was nice to see a puzzle made.

You made a nice map, and you were correct about the difficulty of this map. It was not to hard, took me under an hour to beat. It also had some nice challenges, as none were simplistic. All of the challenges had something creative about them, not challenges like drop shield in a kill ball.

The two best challenges were the golf ball challenge and the challenge to get the hologram. The golf ball used alertness and quickness, making it fun to complete. The one to get the hologram used a cool trick, and had multiple steps to it.

The jumping challenge in quest 3 I did not like. It was annoying to have to do tricky jumps to get the objects, only to have to redo these jumps if you failed at the next part. You can keep the jumps in, but I would be nice to not have to repeat them if you mess up.

Overall, a good puzzle with good ideas, but was pretty easy. You had creative puzzles and never was it mind-numbing. A good map