Debate Presidental election '08

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AllseeingEntity, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Indie Anthias

Indie Anthias Unabash'd Rubbernecker

I absolutely feel otherwise. I think your understanding of the base members of your society is lacking.

Here's another scenario: What about the 43 year old male who holds a regular job as an executive at Exxon. He makes 50 million dollars to wreck the environment (which he lobbies to get away with), wipe out his competitors who propose alternative energy sources, and cut pensions and benefits of his employees?

Which scenario, mine or yours, depicts the real dredge on society?

2. dented_drum

dented_drum Ancient

I don't disagree that your given situation sucks. All that you can reply to me is that I have a lacking understanding of my society because my opinion is different than yours.

"I feel otherwise." Uh, you win??

3. Indie Anthias

Nah, I don't win. It's subjective.

I just adamantly, strongly, overwhelmingly feel that you're wrong about the ratio (of lazy people to disadvantaged, to use your terms), and why people are in the situations they are in.

edit: sorry I'm really not trying to be so degrading to your opinion, it's just the way it's coming out.

4. G043R

G043R Ancient

I feel that Because This man Lobbies and has it turned his way... the Corrupt are the ones to blame...

I mean What forces you to smoke... YOU DO...

What Allows you to undercut better fuel Sources... Money and the power to corrupt others... I mean both spawn for laaazy people but I agree our sinful waste hurts every one... but that is more of a moral ordeal then Government... lets stay focused...

5. BattyMan

BattyMan Ancient

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm happy Obama won

6. NeverlessWonder

NeverlessWonder Ancient

^ That is such a nice picture story.

7. EGP

EGP Ancient

I have to agree, why would anyone like to compare McCain with Bush, if he replys and says he is like him, well America wont like him. But if he says he doesnt like him Bush ( The president ) doesn't like him.
    Not really liking him, just saying he is nothing like him.

8. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

Yeah, it was just a ploy to scare people away from voting for McCain, but a bit less obvious than the tactics McCain tried to use.

Any fairly intelligent person can see that they aren't alike, and that McCain would have run the country much differently than Bush.

9. dented_drum

dented_drum Ancient

I just watched the last bit of President Elect, Barack Obama's first news conference since the announcement of his victory. As someone who disagrees with nearly all of his views/plans, I can easily say that I was impressed. He spoke like a different man than the person I voted against. If anyone else saw that, I'm almost positive they'd feel the same.

Not a huge deal, but Obama should've gotten due respect from opposition for that conference. He handled it well.

10. RadiantRain

RadiantRain Ancient

Just did some math on the 3% increase to people making 250,000 a year.

3% from 250,000 is 7,500 a month.

7,500 x 12 = 90,000 a year.

250,000 - 90,000 = 160,000

Let's not forget that they need to pay about another 4,000 for monthly use of water and stuff like that. But I won't add that.

The fact that they are dropped to 160,000 dollars a year.

11. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

Its a 3% annual increase, not monthly. So they'd be paying an additional $7,500 dollars a year (assuming the base salary amount). These extremely rich folks pay around 45% in taxes, which is still very high. So even though your numbers are wrong, they're not too far off from the truth.

That's assuming they don't catch any tax breaks. Talk to anyone making over $250,000 a year and I'll guarantee you they aren't paying that entire $90,000 in taxes. It's still a lot of money, but people can certainly live comfortably off of $160,000 a year.

12. Indie Anthias

Oh damn that would suck. [/sarcasm]

13. NeverlessWonder

NeverlessWonder Ancient

Work on your math. How the hell did you go from 250,000 a year, to 7,500 a month? 3% of 250,000 a year is 7,500 a year. If you would like to know how much that is monthly... you must divide it by 12. So, 7,500/12=625.

So instead of 90,000 a year, it's actually just 7,500 a year.

Fun Fact: 90,000 is 36% of 250,000. Not 3%.

14. X5

X5 Ancient

I am sorry rain, but Neverless just owned you. Nice try, it appears as if you managed to trick some people nonetheless...

TBH, this topic should be locked. The arguing will never end, and the election is over, no point in debating it.

#434 X5, Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  15. NeverlessWonder

NeverlessWonder Ancient

For the second time, I might add.

I warned her to stay out of the Debate forum, but it seems she's a glutton for punishment...

16. X5

X5 Ancient

Very, very true.
    She can't hold her arguments, not even the ones where she makes up fake facts. But hey, what you gonna do?

17. RadiantRain

RadiantRain Ancient

Not a fake fact, but more of a simple mathematical error...

EDIT:

He is taxing people who make 250,000 a month. Since I thought taxes were monthly I assumed that it would be a 3% tax a month from the money earned annually.

18. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

He's taxing people who make more than 250,000 a YEAR. You only pay taxes once a year, which is why so many people freak out come March when their taxes are due. And the 3% tax raise will basically remove the tax breaks Bush gave the wealthy. So Obama is basically undoing what Bush did.

19. Waylander

Waylander Ancient

Give up woman, you've been bested.

20. halo kid

halo kid Ancient

obama won the race