Debate Presidental election '08

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AllseeingEntity, Jun 21, 2008.

1. NeverlessWonder

NeverlessWonder Ancient

He was being VERY transparent. His body language and reactions were exaggerated and made it very clear what he was thinking.

I didn't get to watch the whole thing, :D , but I did see enough to know that it was gonna be the same old thing. McCain was still talking about his favorite topics I see. Earmarks, reaching "across the table" and working with the other party, going against his party leaders, something about an overhead projector... the man needs to stop being so damn repititive.

My favorite part was how McCain was getting so riled up over things people have been saying about him or "his fellow prisoners". The man's buttons are too easy to push, lol. Meanwhile Obama's talking about he isn't paying attention to those kinds of things because they're not worth his attention or the attention of the American people. As he said, Americans are concerned about the issues, not attacks on a Presidential Canididate's character.

That example alone is proof of which man is more worthy to fill the role of President. At least I know that Obama will keep his mind calmly focused on the issues that matter and how to deal with them, rather than getting all worked up over trivial insults and stupid crap that doesn't matter.
    "Damn kids need to get off my lawn" indeed Batty. LOL
    Wish I hadn't missed this. What's he doing? Is he gagging? Is he alright? LMAO! He didn't collapse or have a heart attack or anything did he?

I did however see this, and I laughed my ass off.
    [​IMG]

#221 NeverlessWonder, Oct 16, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  2. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

I watched the whole debate last night (man was it long) and I think that for once McCain did better in the Debate. Obama didn't have too many snappy comebacks as he did during the last debate and was much more defensive than previously.

It seems that most people feel Obama did better though, at leasts that's what data from various polls seem to be saying.

I think McCain is going to slip even farther in the polls in the next 3 weeks. Obama is pumping a lot of money into TV ads, and I believe he even has a 30 minute time span available to him 6 days before the election. He has more money and the lead....its pretty obvious who is going to win this one.

3. Willmatic

Willmatic Ancient

None of the McCain supporters show any respect, shooting people, burning signs, and last week I had a Oboma sign on my lawn and when I got back from school it said "HES A ****** TERRORIST!". I replace the sign the next day and a kid in all black with chains hanging from his pants starting pissing on it and before I got to my door I saw my next door neighbor walk up to him, looks at him, and punches him in the face knocking him to the floor and walked on OMG I DIED OF LAUGHTER!!

At first I wanted Oboma because he was black and would be cool having the first black president, but then I started watching the news, looking online like in this debate thread and realised he's a really good guy and has some great ideals for the country. I want the Iraq war to end because my dad is out there right now, IMO we should be fighting in Afghanastan.

Just because Oboma has ideals for the general public like the middle class doesn't mean hes communist. Isn't that a good thing helping the majority? But the first vid showed me McCain DOES have respect unlike his legion of tools.

4. BattyMan

BattyMan Ancient

The overhead projector thing he's referring to is actually a planetarium, which is such weird thing for him to attack. Yes, who needs science, am I right?

And projects like that are such a small percentage of spending and not at all the root of the problem anyways. Not only that, but money spent on projects here at home puts cash back into the economy, a indefinite war just dumps it down the toilet.

The tongue picture is McCain dancing around the debate table trying to shake the Moderator's hand.

But some other things to touch on; McCain losing the female vote by dismissing a mother's health during birth, tackling the education issue with a plan to turn soldiers into teachers, walking headfirst into the negative campaign trap that Obama had set, bringing up Joe the plumber.

If you missed that part, McCain tells the story of Joe trying to buy his own business, which isn't relevant at all right now. People are worried about losing jobs, not starting a business. If anything, it only served to highlight how misdirected the interests of republicans are. No one cares about Joe "doing fine but could be doing better" the plumber, people just want some very basic job security at this point.
    As far as snappy comebacks go, the "want to run against Bush? Should've run four years ago" line was fantastic, props to McCain for that. But I honestly think this was McCain's worst debate performance. He came across as petulant and out of touch.

I can see how you would consider Obama on the defensive though, McCain was very aggressive throughout.

TheDarkKnight05 likes this.
  5. makisupa007

makisupa007 Ancient

Mccain Supporters

I do agree that it was the right thing to do when Mccain tried to set the facts straight about the irrational fear of Obama, but the way he did it just raises more concern. When the woman in the video stated that "she can't trust Obama because he's an Arab", Mccain's response was "He's not an Arab. He's a decent family man", as if being Arab excludes you from the possibility of being a fine person that loves their family.

Leaving the two candidates out of it entirely, I still challenge any Mccain supporters to show any footage of Hate, Bigotry, Intolerance, or Discrimination at any Obama Rally.

Here's some more Mccainiancs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itEucdhf4Us
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHrExRHZnm0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjxzmaXAg9E
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBmO6YAszGU

Mccain supporters seem to be voting for Mccain because they hate Obama. We are truly a divided country. The way I see it, we have one part of the nation that wants to move this country into a more progressive direction, focusing on the issues and tough decisions that will need to be made and the other half(folks that want nothing to change, ever, even if they are voting against their political and economic interests) is more interested in giving their attention to hate, fear and racism.

If you look at a political map of the country where you can see where all of the red and blue states are, it is very clear to me. The general rule is that in areas of higher population density, areas where Americans are forced to deal with each other on a daily basis and work together regardless of nationality, political affiliation or religious beliefs, these are the blue states. In the wide open spaces of the country, places where there is more separation between the houses, between the towns, between the cultural differences, this is where you will find the red states. The inexperience of interacting with people that are different than yourself can be clearly seen in the political map and is evident at the recent Mccain and Palin Rallies.

#225 makisupa007, Oct 16, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
    Draw the Line likes this.
  6. NeverlessWonder

NeverlessWonder Ancient

Interesting theory there, I hadn't thought much of that. There may be a little truth to it too.

7. dented_drum

dented_drum Ancient

Wait wait. As per the bolded text, are you seriously suggesting an assumed prejudice of another people because of your own obvious prejudice? Rednecks? There's a line, bro, and never would I derogatorily refer to someone I disagreed with.

"They don't like what I like; so, they're stupid rednecks."

Your point wasn't even that bad. It opened my eyes, but the fact that you're a complete **** about it just ruins it all. Please, pull the veil off your eyes and see far enough into the real world to realize that it's possible for someone to disagree with you and not be a stupid redneck.

Nitrous likes this.
  8. Metallic Snake

Metallic Snake Ancient

these people are just men. theyre not going to make earth like heaven. it was pretty obvious who would win from the start. but please, when you put your faith in men, men will let you down. I dont like either of the campaigners. theyre basically the same, except for war. i cant stand politics.

9. Nitrous

Nitrous Ancient

Dented is right, it is just as much 'racist' (if that term can actually exist...) for you to call them a redneck as is for them to discriminate against homosexuals. Name calling never solved anything, it only serves to deepen one's belief.

However, republicans at this point appear to be, from my perspective, rolling on a bandwagon of hate and fear mongering. The general idea is, "If you don't elect politician X, the terrorists will attack again. Politician Y is going to allow them to destroy us, I, politician X am the only thing standing between you and total oblivion. Vote Politician X this November." End commercial.

10. dented_drum

dented_drum Ancient

Lulz. Well, I'm really indifferent concerning most of our choices. From what I've heard, we'll be leaving Iraq within the first year, no matter who's elected.

I'd like to see a lot less of Iraq, but I don't know if complete removal is a good idea. This is only because of the state of America when we were last attacked (9/11). I don't think it's a stretch to say that our defenses were down. We weren't prepared for that. As soon as everyone starts shouting, "Peace!" again, I'm gonna be a little worried. Where I live, one man could easily kill thousands of people. Take down a few power lines, and most would quickly die. We'd have no lights. We'd have no way of cooling food; so, our food supply would quickly dwindle. If trucks were to be sent in with supplies, we'd still need a way of cooling (most of) the food. Sure, the government would obviously step in to aid us, but, if properly organized, the attack could leave enough places in need of help that the government would have to pick and choose among the most populated and what not.

I'm not saying this against either candidate. I'm more of asking if anyone else believes that, if we leave ourselves open to attack, we will receive attack.

11. Nitrous

Nitrous Ancient

Take it from a Tennessee resident and a frequent tornado dodger. Power lines will not kill anyone. We lost power for two weeks about 2 years ago. There were no riots, no food shortages, nothing too extremely terrible. What they did was make sure the infrastructure functioned, for instance getting power back to key businesses in the area and then hook residential up.

So in my opinion, power outages or a terror attack that causes a power outage shouldn't be feared. Just keep cool, help each other out and you'll be fine.

12. NeverlessWonder

NeverlessWonder Ancient

I'm not understanding how abandoning our occupation in Iraq can "leave us open to terrorist attack." The terrorists we're supposed to be fighting are predominantly based in and around Afganistan.
    Besides, we're pretty much always open to attack. All our governement can do is try to protect us as best they can. There's no guarantees.

13. dented_drum

dented_drum Ancient

Precisely. It is well-known that terrorism cannot be stopped. It's everywhere.

However, I'm saying that in response to how the terrorists (likely) viewed us at the time of 9/11. It was a "they're stupid and arrogant. They think nothing can harm them because they're oh-so-great America" attack. I'd further argue this, but this is a Presidential debate, not a debate on war.

14. makisupa007

makisupa007 Ancient

Redneck Redacted

You are both right. "Redneck" has been redacted from the OP. It is a little hateful for someone pointing out all the hate on the other side. I wrote that right after I finished watching those Mccain supporter videos and I guess I was pretty angry at the time. My bad.

15. Warfang

Warfang Ancient

Your right, this is a presidential debate, but the war is a key issue. Obama wants the troops out, and Mcain wants them to stay, so by arguing for the war, you are arguing for Mcain, and vise versa.

16. ub3rtuba

ub3rtuba Ancient

well, personally i support Obama, although i have very mixed feelings on the war, i oppose war in general and think that if we could just end all wars, life would be much better
    but a harsh reality is that war exists, and no matter how hard we try, it will always find a way to come out.
    but, thats merely my pessimistic idealist view

i dont like the war, but we're already there.. so might as well try to end it as quickly as possible. If it lasts longer than one more year we should leave, and even though i really dont think we should have been there in the first place, we should see things through unless the costs will outweigh the benefits

17. dented_drum

dented_drum Ancient

I've heard (I couldn't quote from where) that we'll be out of Iraq within a year, no matter who is elected. Personally, I'm terrified of the end result, if that decision is made, but I accept that there is nothing I can do but prepare for my nightmare.

More along the lines of the debate, I'm surprised no one has considered that we should vote for which VP we like best over which President we like best. Why? Well, McCain has little left in him. I have designated him as my candidate, but no one can deny that the guy is a good ways over the hill. Secondly, if elected, I believe Obama will be assassinated. This, obviously, isn't something I support just because I disagree with him, but I'm not so stupid that I'll deny the large amount of radicals in America that aren't ready for an African American President. So, my course of (slightly humorous) logic tells me that both VPs have a fair chance at being President.

18. Nitrous

Nitrous Ancient

Pulling out of Iraq will not fulfill any night terrors that may cross your mind. Just like it didn't fulfill any before we were in Iraq and only in Afghanistan.

19. NeverlessWonder

NeverlessWonder Ancient

I have. In fact, it's a big reason why I am so violently opposed to a McCain-Palin presidency. McCain seems like an alright guy, even though I disagree with things he does, and really would prefer Obama winning over him... But if he had chose almost any other canididate than Palin, I wouldn't be so strongly opposed to him being elected. She really hurts his campaign more than she helps I think.
    At least with Biden I know that should something happen to Obama, that he'll know what to do and be qualified for the job.

Btw, anyone hear this talk of Sarah Palin "going rogue"? Evidently it's what a lot of political experts are gossiping about now.

20. Indie Anthias

Indie Anthias Unabash'd Rubbernecker

Sorry I haven't been following this particular debate... but I just wanted to drop in and say the time is drawing near. In fact, early voting started here yesterday. I actually voted this morning for Senator Obama. 2 more weeks and it's on. I just hope it's decisive and we don't have to wait a month to find out who won like we did with Bush.