Pole vault sig

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Monolith, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Monolith

Monolith Ancient

Here's a sig I tried out sort of with a tutorial. By sort of I mean I combined several things from several tutorials that I had looked at recently:

v1
    [​IMG]

v2
    [​IMG]

Stock:
    [​IMG]

Please CnC. I need the feedback!

#1 Monolith, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  2. Halo Orlando

Halo Orlando Ancient

I am sort of confused as to what I am seeing...
    The background is at a weird angle, so I have trouble figuring out what I'm seeing.
    The fire around the guy is too intense; it is hard to see him within the flames
    The BG effects I recognize from some techniques I used in that sig I posted the PSD of, as well as pigglez's brute shot tutorial.
    The fx on the fire, though fairly good themselves, really should be behind rather than in front of the character.

I think that in design, having something be clear is very important, I have said this before, and as this sig is, it just is not clear at all what the focal, background or purpose are.

Interestingly though, rotating it so that it was vertical made it quite a bit more obvious what was happening, and from that perspective, I actually think it is much better, as the fireball's direction does not seem as random, and the guy is moving in a more logical way.

3. Dinosaur Drugs

Dinosaur Drugs Forerunner
    Banned

I dont see anything.

edit:
    this actually looks amazing, I think fire effects in sigs look incredible, it may be a bit much but it's a matter of taste. v2 looks a lot better in my opinion, the added effects in v1 are kind of clunky looking. The sideways background really gives an interesting perspective and it almost feels like the picture is moving.

oh and by the way, I would love to know what tutorial you followed for those sweet fire effects.

#3 Dinosaur Drugs, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  4. just defy

just defy Ancient

unique. i like v2 the best. good work

5. Zathura

Zathura Forerunner

Odd...I like V1 better. It looks....destructive, which is what the image signifies to me. I might smooth some of the sharp pixels in the lower-right corner, but other than that, good job.

6. Monolith

Monolith Ancient

Erm, What's BG mean? sorry, I'm kind of a noob :X
    And true, the fire effects were hard to deal with but I wasn't sure how to put them behind the guy instead of in front of him. I personally think it kind of looks like it's in between, sort of surrounding him? At least that's what I went for..
    It isn't? Hrm, well perhaps it's a bit unconventional. I'll try to work on those in the future though
    Thanks. I kind of cheated because it was already rotated the moment I opened it with photoshop :p
    Same here, I thought v1 was too cluttered. I can't find the tutorial I used but i pretty much found two fire images with black backgrounds. I then added them on top of the pole vault image and set them to screen (which removed the black). After, I worked with blending and the warp tool quite a bit.
    Thanks, glad you like it
    Thanks. I guess it's a matter of preference but you definitely have an interesting take on it.

#6 Monolith, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  7. Halo Orlando

Halo Orlando Ancient

BG= BackGround

The reason I said it was not really clear is that without knowing the stock, it is hard to figure everything out, such as the fact that the sig is on a 90 degree angle, and that the fire is not coming from some indeterminate point, rather than following him as the vertical version would show.

As a note I really should add, the focal was not bad; I really should have said that the man that is in the fire is less the focal than the fire itself.

IDK, I like the vertical, but not so much the horizontal.

8. Xtermin8R645

Xtermin8R645 Ancient

Version 2 is the best... the graphics of the first are distracting and don't add to visual or aesthetic appeal, effects are well done, not too cheesy, but maybe increase the fire's transparency so it's not as random. Overall nice sig.