Pokémon General Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Randle Scandal, Mar 19, 2010.

1. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented
    Forge Critic Senior Member

I want to add the Snorlax I just caught to my team, but that would mean I have to get rid of my HM slave. It's a Poliwhirl that's a piece of crap, but it knows Rock Smash, Waterfall, Whirlpool, and Strength. It'd be a pain in the ass to have to go and get him every time I wanted to use one of those 4 HM's.

Regardless, I think my team's getting pretty good. My only weakness is Lightning and kind of Rock/Ground.

Ampharos - lvl 56
    - Flash
    - Signal Beam
    - Thunderpunch
    - Discharge

Typhlosion - lvl 55
    - Flamethrower
    - Cut
    - Swift (need to change this or Cut)
    - Fire Blast

Lugia - lvl 55
    - Extrasensory
    - Iron Tail (need to change to Ice Beam when I get it)
    - Aeroblast (7pp)
    - Hydro Pump

Gyarados (Red) - lvl 55
    - Bite (need a stronger move; suggestions?)
    - Ice Fang
    - Surf
    - Dragon Pulse

Crobat
    - Poison Fang
    - Air Slash (need a stronger move; suggestions?)
    - Fly
    - Dark Pulse

Would like to add Snorlax lvl 50

I've gotten 14 badges... still need to get the ones from Viridian City and Cinnabar Island.

2. Klaydude11

Klaydude11 Ancient

@AceOfSpades: I can give you an ice beam. I'll be in the WFC in a little bit, and Imma need your friend code.

#442 Klaydude11, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  3. Pigglez

Pigglez Ancient

I finally got enough coins in Voltorb Flip to buy an Ice beam/Flamethrower/Thunderbolt. Now Im almost at 20K XD The game is so easy once you know how to do it right.

4. DimmestBread

DimmestBread Ancient

Until you get to times where its a 50/50 chance. I seem to get those a lot.

I can't seem to find a water pokemon with a really good special attack. I'm using vaporeon right now for the high HP and 115 or 110 base special attack. Anyone have any suggestions?

5. Agamer

Agamer Ancient

Alright, so I figured I might as well as ask this.

So since the start of this thread, I started playing my little brothers pokemon pearl game again, I beat it back when it came out, but the little ***** deleted my **** so I stopped playing it and didn't really care at all. It's kind of boring playing it though, I think most likely because I don't want to do something I already did over again, I dunno.

I came in here to post because I was wondering if I should even bother to get one of the new games. Like I said I don't really find replaying pearl again to be that fun, yet I had both silver and gold when I was kid, and loved playing them. So should I bother or not? I don't have any money now, but when I do I could get.

Please don't be bias, because I can tell that all of the posters in this thread like pokemon.

EDIT: I have had the rom, but don't like playing it due to it being too laggy for me to even bother.

#445 Agamer, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  6. Mischgasm

Mischgasm Ancient

Honestly if you don't like pokemon I don't see why you would buy it. This is just an updated version of the old pokemon. Think of Halo 1 to Halo 2. It's more fun, but it's still the same game. You decide.

7. Agamer

Agamer Ancient

I liked pokemon when I was a kid, I loved gold and silver, just after replaying pearl after it being deleted and not playing pokemon in general in like three years I didn't really enjoy it as much as I used to. I dunno if it it's just because I don't like the concept of replaying a game I already beat or if I just out grew playing the games in general..

I dunno. I'd like to get it, just don't know if I will actually like it as much as I did and if I will enjoy it and play it often, to be worth buying.

So it's basically the same thing as gold and silver? And even if you tell me it is, I could barely remember the games any way.

8. Souperintendent

Souperintendent Ancient

Does anyone else HATE the Legendaries in this game? You can't catch them worth your life! I mean, I get Mewtwo down to RED HEALTH, put him to sleep, and throw DUSK BALLS at him, and I don't get a single tilt?

Wow I sound like a 10 year old, but I remember back in the good ol' days of Pokemon where Legendaries were meant to be caught, not defeated.

9. V

V Ancient

Add him. You can fly to any town to pick Poliwhirl up if necessary and three of the pokemon on your team resist Snorlax's one weakness. Plus, at your point in the game, you only need surf and rock climb to get to Red (you'll need waterfall if you wanna find Moltres in Mt. Silver, however, and if I remember correctly you do still need strength to get to Articuno in the Seafoam Islands).
    These are the top five most powerful water pokemon in terms of special attack:
    * Kyogre
    * Palkia
    1) Omastar
    2) Gorebiss
    3) Empoleon
    4) Vaporeon
    5) Octillery
    * Ubers
    I believe Heart Gold and Soul Silver are two of the best installments in the series. Yes they are remakes but they bring a lot to the table still to make it worth the $30 price tag. The inclusion of the Battle Frontier is a big plus, and is still one of the best ways for players to gradually gain some know-how of how their team will stack up in Wi-Fi battling before they get their feet wet (to anyone reading this, if you wanna see truly how good your pokemon are, go through the battle tower. If you can make a 100 streak, you've got some very solid pokemon with ya). Wi-Fi is a very fun tool to use, whether it be for trading or battling. The pokeathlon is a pretty fun set of mini games which could probably see some use in the future. Overall, I think it's a great remake and much more.
    ---
    I suggest you train a Hoppip or Breloom to learn Spore to learn spore and, if you want get a pokemon that knows false swipe (here's the list of pokemon False Swipe (D/P) - Smogon University). Stock up on plenty of Ultra Balls and a mix of Timer and Dusk balls. False swipe will never kill a pokemon, and spore is the single best sleep inducing move. Also, you're trying to catch a lv 70 Mewtwo here; the second-highest leveled catchable pokemon (the top spot goes to Arceus at lv. 80); of course it's gonna be hard.

10. Orange

Orange Ancient

Legendaries have substantial catch rates, for example his is 3

What this is? well look, ill explain how to calculate it.

Red health=-10%
    max is ~255 at your level so he had probably like 12 left.
    [​IMG]
    ^Do that ****,
    (742.5)3*3.5[sub]x2[/sub]

Get 20.34246575342466
    then this **** \/
    [​IMG](Doesnt matter which you do)
    You get ~34829

then you divide it by 65535 and square it 3 times and get this: 0.07977437550362609752149576614234 Translate it into a fraction, 7.977437550362609752149576614234% or ~8%.

Sauce: Catch rate - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

11. CHUCK

CHUCK Why so serious?

there are easy games here and there, but at its core it's a game of probability and chance. I love those games where there are like two voltorb-free rows and a few 2-3 or 4-1 rows. i can't get past level 7, last time i got there i hit a voltorb on the first flip (unfortunate).

but really, i've got this down, i get to level 5 with pretty much every run. What about you pigglez?

12. Pigglez

Pigglez Ancient

I get to at least level 5 each time. Level 9 is my highest and I only got there once. But when I got to it, there were no rows without voltorbs, and not rows with 2-3/4-1. Most were like, 3-4 and 5-3. I was trippin balls... guessed and got a voltorb on the second guess after getting a one.

Thats the sucky part, when the game go mega douche on your ass and gives you no free rows or rows with 2-3/4-1.

13. CHUCK

CHUCK Why so serious?

dude it can be such an asshole sometimes, my one time at level 7 was like that, so i flipped the one that was the cross of like 7-1 and 6-1 annnd voltorb. "DAMN YOU VOLTORB FLIP GODS!" "dropped down to level 1" *throw ds*

the most exhilarating moments are flipping risky ones and getting "Is this what you're expecting?" *dundudndudun dun* but then there are those times when you know what it is and it does that, "yes, yes it is what i'm expecting. a 2. ... thaaank you". i feel like such a champ when that happens.

dear [voltorbflip]god i'm addicted.

#453 CHUCK, Apr 7, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  14. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented

Do you have to permanently connect the DS to the game? If so, I can't because I'm using my brother's DS and don't want to screw it up for him.

Where do you get Rock Climb anyway? I must've missed it somewhere in Johto.

15. V

V Ancient

It's in Kanto. I forget where but you get it through the story progression as you go on to beat the 16 gyms and face Red.
    EDIT: Oak gives it to you after you beat Blue for the 16th badge.

16. DimmestBread

DimmestBread Ancient

There is a fair amount of change, but the way its played is somewhat similar. I mean, there are things different that people who love pokemon will notice and like and there are things that everyone would like but if you don't like to replay pokemon games, I honestly wouldn't get it unless you like to try and fill your pokedex.

17. Klaydude11

Klaydude11 Ancient

Your friend code depends one which DS you are using. If you change from one DS to the other and try and use Wi-Fi it will create a new friend code and ask you to stay on that DS from now on. If you have a friend code on a different DS I would suggest switching to the other unless you want to keep on using your bro's.

18. CHUCK

CHUCK Why so serious?

i've been spending all day getting my poliwhirl in shape to fight Clair.

first i played voltorb flip for a bit, trying to get 10,000 coins for ice beam, i wasnt having too much luck so i went elsewhere. then I spent good hour at the pokeathlon collecting enough to get a water stone to evolve him into poliwrath. Then i went back to voltorb flip and hit 10,000 and got myself ice beam.

tl;dr
    i now have a poliwrath with ice beam to pwn Clair.

19. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented

I don't have a friend code at all. I was going to wait to connect to the Pokewalker and to get a friend code until I get my own DS.

Snorlax is slow as ****.

20. Pigglez

Pigglez Ancient

lol I was doing crazy at VF today, got to 25000 coins and got my ice beam. Now I have a politoed with ice beam adn 15000 coins remaining. Imma save that ****. Also, I chose Politoed over poliwrath because it has high sp. atk and that boosts ice beam as opposed to poliwraths high attack and low sp. atk.