Plymouth Meeting Mall

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by EvilFitzal, Jan 26, 2011.

1. EvilFitzal

EvilFitzal Forerunner

Inspired by the Plymouth Meeting Mall in Plymouth Meeting, PA. This map is compatible with most game types. 4-10 players, Free For All or Red vs Blue.
    The stores contain weapons and powerups. There are no loadouts, vehicles, or turrents on the map.

View From Macy's (Red Side):
    [​IMG]

View of Macy's Mall Entrance and fountain (Red Base):
    [​IMG]

View From Boscov's (Blue Side):
    [​IMG]

View of Boscov's Mall Entrance (Blue Base):
    [​IMG]

View of the Carousel:
    [​IMG]

View of the Center of the Map:
    [​IMG]

Top View of the Map:
    [​IMG]

View of the Sword Corridor, approximate location of the Church On The Mall:
    [​IMG]

2. Mister man 1217

Mister man 1217 Forerunner

This isn't a bad map, but in a experienced Forgers mind, I would say it is kind of plain. It seems to have too basic of a design. Not many aesthetic details showing and overall seems like there isn't enough of the map and looks to me you could have done more with it.

3. Nightmare Studios

Iv been to the Plymouth meeting mall, and this looks pretty close. Nice job.
    As far as the map goes, I kinda agree JPeloquin218, but its still good. Nice job,

Maybe you could trying try doing KOPM, if you know what KOPM stands for.

4. EvilFitzal

EvilFitzal Forerunner

Thanks for the feedback. This was my first Reach map, so I appreciate any tips.
    I maxed out my overall resources, as well as buildings, building blocks, and I think others. Because of the scale of this map, I had trouble adding details. The design being based on a mall, I couldn't use the natural terrain of Forge World as my floor, so I spent a lot of resources just building the surrounding structure. I also didn't see many options in Forge to provide variety to the aesthetics, without using rocks and other natural features. As I said, any tips are welcome.

The KoP Mall could be interesting, but it would definitely need to be miniaturized. I also wouldn't attempt to bother with individual stores -- they use too many walls and windows without looking enough like a store to make it worth it.

A Few Questions:
    Is there anything that makes a good ceiling?
    With opaque ceilings and walls, is there a way to provide enough light for a good map?
    Has anyone else noticed glitches with rotating objects? When I have "snap to 90 degrees" active, it often only rotates when I have it on 0 or 180.

5. NobleBrutus

NobleBrutus Forerunner

I would suggest using the wall coliseums for the ground and possibly building against a face to save blocks. This would allow you to expand a bit further. Also, your map would be more interesting if you included weapons scattered around which would inspire players to explore a bit and allow for the action to be spread over the whole map.

6. MrGreenWithAGun

MrGreenWithAGun Forerunner

It could also help with any frame rate issues you might encounter with split screen.

I like it. It is plain and straight forward, but it seems clean cut too.

7. EvilFitzal

EvilFitzal Forerunner

See this post by a Bungie employee:
    - Bungie.net : ForgeWorld : Article

There are weapons all over the map. This map has one of each weapon on it, except for turrets.

I managed to play this map over the weekend with a bunch of people in celebration of Winter-Een-Mas! It was really fun and interesting. The "air ducts" above the "stores" were a big hotspot. Play was very cool with all the shields on the map, as visibility was very high, but there was tons of cover. Sprint is definitely a useful armor ability on this map, as it's so large without any real shortcuts. I'll keep that in mind for my next maps.

8. NobleBrutus

NobleBrutus Forerunner

I stand corrected. Sorry.

However I've never had a problem with your 'quantization error' but bungie will know what they're talking about.

I do agree though this is a good map.