Plateau

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by SilentJacket, Jul 12, 2012.

1. SilentJacket

SilentJacket Forerunner

"A pristine Energy Diffusion Centre overlooking the beauty of installation 04"

Plateau is a small map overviewing the waterfall and Paradiso.
    It suites best for 1v1 slayer, but can also support 2v2.

The Central Atrium
    [​IMG]

Underneath the Atrium
    [​IMG]

Blue Base
    [​IMG]

Above Blue Base
    [​IMG]

Red Base
    [​IMG]

Shotgun room with Waterfall view and tele sender
    [​IMG]

Tele receiver
    [​IMG]

sniper room with Paradiso view
    [​IMG]

#1 SilentJacket, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  2. 00DirtyMick00

00DirtyMick00 Promethean

you seem to have your own style with all of your maps, i really love it, your able to pull off the futuristic inside building look better than almost anyone ive seen, your maps really looks like the inside of a space station or something. What makes it even better is that it's completely your own style, they feel like actual bungie-made halo maps remade in forge, except their not remakes, their your own ideas, seriously great job.

3. Yellow Sausage

Yellow Sausage Promethean

I'd change the name. I think there is a BTB map with the same name. Still I was going to say excatly what mick said. Love the aesthetics

4. SilentJacket

SilentJacket Forerunner

I appreciate the encouragement, but in terms of weapon layout and spawning (which I am crap at) how is it?

5. Shik

Shik Forerunner

I'm not sure what to think of this, I think this inspires me just to forge a map like whatever I want it to look like. It's def unique with the shield doors and that small door area made with the covers.Here, add me on Xbox and we can look at eachothers stuff.

6. HissingWings

HissingWings Promethean

I really love the aesthetics on all of your maps. The only problem (with the ones I downloaded) was the framerate. Reach's framerate issues are terrible. I can't wait to see what you make in halo 4 when framerate won't be nearly as much of a problem

7. Auburn

Auburn a dope soul
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Now that it has been bumped, I will take the chance to write some feedback given I played the map just recently.

As it has been mentioned, the aesthetic appeal is top notch and succeeds in encompassing players in the desired setting that you described. However, the map is no exception to an inevidable tradeoff. The immense amount of objects used to create the scenery also contribute to framerate drops that are prominantly seen during gameplay. Considering that it is most noticeable looking at concussion rifle spawn from the healthpack, I imagine it is most notably caused by the combination of the struts, reciever nodes, and shield doors covering the entrances of the center structure.

As far as the layout goes, it is simple yet very solid in that players were always at risk, thus were always moving trying to find the best way to control the game through weaponry and positioning. However, this sort of design was also the cause of a certain problem; spawning. Given the structureless nature and ability to control spawnings, players would often be forced to spawn behind random cover where they would immediately be grenaded or thrusted into a firefight. Of course, this lead to spawn killing as a player grew knowledgable of the spawning system. Another problem that we found with the layout was the dead end on the lower level. Obviously, this is a problem because it can put a spike in the flow and create unnecessary deaths for players without prior knowledge of the design. Speaking of the lower level, the location that OS spawned in was often camped when a player got ahold of the sword. On account of the shield doors, most of the area could not be grenaded and because of shadows, the camper instantly knew where their opponent would come from even without radar. Additionally, OS spawned down there for extra reinforcement. The final problem I found with the layout was the area where healthpack spawned for the simple reason that it felt underdeveloped compared to every other area.

Weaponry was probably the largest problem. Although having several weapons can be an efficient way to promote movement, I believe that there were too many here. Personally, I would completely remove the sword and replace the concussion rifle with the OS. The prior because high ground is naturally sought after and the sword's spare clips cannot be altered. The latter because those two weapons are in very close proximity of one another and the concussion rifle is overpowered in my opinion. With that said, OS may also be overpowered, thus could be replaced with a grenade launcher. The other problem I had with weaponry was the amount of clips and timers on some weapons. I don't remember the exact numbers, but they were odd and players could play the game without ever being devoid of a power weapon creating unfair advantages.

All in all, it was a fantastic map and a joy to play. The main things that I would suggest should you decide to forge this in Halo 4 are to scale up, add more structure creating rooms, and developing each area into something more complex if at all possible.

EDIT: We also thought the lifts from the lowest floor up were pretty useless :p

#7 Auburn, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  8. SilentJacket

SilentJacket Forerunner

thanks for the input, I might remake it in H4, and I do need to work on spawns and weapon tuning.
    I'm so focused on map flow that sometime I forget that you also need safe spawn points

creating safe spawn points that encourage people to start moving ASAP is hard

where should I increase spawn times/decrease clip size?

#8 SilentJacket, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  9. Narfidy444

Narfidy444 Promethean

From what I remember playing (before you re posted it) the two CQC weapons (shottie/sword) were completely useless in this particular field of play. Concussion was COMPLETELY OP.

Suggestions...

Keep Snipe in snipe room.

Replace Shottie with GL.

Move OS to Sword spawn.

Hope it helps, having 4 PW on a 1v1 map allows them all to fill up on Power Weapons and who ever gets OS wins.

10. SilentJacket

SilentJacket Forerunner

thanks for the input, I'll go ahead and carry it to H4

the map will have to be bigger though due to the new mechanics though