Sandbox Pharos

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Aesthetic Maps' started by Phenomenal, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Phenomenal

Phenomenal Ancient

Author:
    Phenomenal

Map Name:
    Pharos

Map Canvas:
    Sandbox

Description:
    [​IMG]

*I never really got to reveal my final version for the Wonders of the World Contest, but I thought that I might as well finish what I had started. Congrats to all of the winners of the Contest!

Pharos Backstory
    The Lighthouse of Alexandria, otherwise known as Pharos, was begun by Ptolemy in the Third Century BC and completed by his son, Ptolemy Philadelphos, on the island of Pharos in Alexandria, Egypt. It was to serve as the island's landmark, and later, its lighthouse. Pharos was a small island just off the coast of Egypt, near the city of Alexandria. The island was linked to the mainland by a man-made bridge. Together, the island of Pharos and the bridge formed half of Alexandria’s harbour. The lighthouse was badly damaged by an earthquake in 956, then again in 1303 and 1323.

My Version
    The design of this lighthouse has been interpreted in several different ways, and my design concentrates on aesthetics only and incorporates several window designs and a spinning grav lift serving as a revolving lighthouse light on top. I hope you all enjoy!

[​IMG]

Pics

Top Levels
    [​IMG]

Bottom Level
    [​IMG]

Spinning Light on Top
    [​IMG]
    Thank you to ShaddoBlade (Str8 Goosin) for giving me directions on how to do this!

Back
    [​IMG]

Overview
    [​IMG]

DOWNLOAD PHAROS

#1 Phenomenal, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  2. Rorak Kuroda

Rorak Kuroda Up All Night
    Forge Critic Senior Member

This really should've been accepted. It might've placed in the contest!

Anyways, awesome job Phenom. I was just blown away by the aesthetics of this map! Although this tower seems much fatter than the other Christ Redeemer now that I compare them... but whatever.

3. Phenomenal

Phenomenal Ancient

Oh now you are calling my lighthouse fat! I guess he could go on some kind of inanimate object diet or something haha. The comparison pic only really shows one version of the lighthouse though. I kind of just made it my own considering there were so many different interpretations out there. Thanks for the comment. :)

And by the way it's the Lighthouse of Alexandria, my initial plan was for Christ the Redeemer.

#3 Phenomenal, Feb 5, 2010
  4. AnthraXe187

AnthraXe187 Guest

I would have to sya this map is great aesthetically and could probably be incorporated into alot of different things and maps. My favorite part is the spinning light (grav lift) how did you do that?

5. Dirt Jockey

Dirt Jockey Forerunner

Just like the real lighthouse- This one took a little too long too make lol. man your merging skills are great, and your attention to detail is top notch. My only complaint is that this is just an aesthetic map, Im a big fan of 1v1 maps and I woulda definetly downloaded this if it was even slightly playable.

6. Phenomenal

Phenomenal Ancient

I may make it playable sometime in the future, although this was initially made only for aesthetic purposes for the Wonders of the World Contest. However, since that is over I might make a minigame or a slayer game variant out of it.

#6 Phenomenal, Feb 5, 2010
  7. T3RA PROWL3R

T3RA PROWL3R Ancient

You should've used a man cannon instead of a grav lift for the light. That seems kind of 'pathetic' compaired to the rest of the structure. Otherwise, nice job.

Oh yeah, I hadn't read the post and mindlessly went straight to the pictures. I hadn't noticed that the light 'spinned. That's pretty awesome.

#7 T3RA PROWL3R, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  8. BENJAMENs

BENJAMENs Forerunner

you should have added a city or town across the bridge to make it a good infection map ,ASSAULT THE LIGHTHOUSE or something like that.

9. TympanicMetal

TympanicMetal Ancient

Yeah, how the F did you do that? I tried in forge but failed every time.

10. xtitan77

xtitan77 Forerunner

Some incredible aesthetics here, the only improvement would be to add a little more to the side towers, but other than that, this map is flawless 4.8/5 *gives cookie

11. NlBBS

NlBBS Forerunner

Wow. Just wow, the aesthetics on this map are some best ive seen in awhile. i do have to agree that designing it for any type of gameplay would be even more awesomer ( i know its not a word but it seems fitting, no?). Anyway i'm definatly going to have to download this and get all up close and personal. 5/5