Panic Station

Discussion in 'WIP - Works In Progress' started by Psychoduck, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Psychoduck

Psychoduck Spartan II
    343 Industries Cartographer Forge Critic Senior Member

Update: Map is finished and is on my file share! (The Psycho Duck)
    Recommended Player Count: 10-14 (framerate suffers in 16 player matches, 12 is ideal)
    Recommended Game Types: Team Slayer, Capture the Flag, Extraction

"Panic Station" (Competitive) - YouTube

You've arrived at...

"Panic Station" Preview - Halo 4 - YouTube

The video explains just about everything. The map essentially takes the concept of "S" to the next level, as a room-based map drawing inspiration many 4v4 and 1v1 maps, but incorporating vehicles in a big way. I'll update this preview as more progress is made.

Also, here is the sketchup design for the map. It's not dead-on accurate, but damned close.

[​IMG]

#1 Psychoduck, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  2. BasedGod of Grunge

BasedGod of Grunge Halo Reach Era

Looks very good, sort of reminds me of that Reach BTB MM map that I can't remember the name of, which is a good thing. I love the up and down lines of sites and the vehicle support. If you want extra people to test with ya, feel free to add me at TehGooseIsLoose

3. mazdak26

mazdak26 Promethean

looks cool! I really like the way infantry and vehicles interact. It reminds me a lot of asphalt.

EDIT: I guess god of grunge was thinking that too.

4. BasedGod of Grunge

Ah yes, Asphalt, AKA my favourite map ever.

If this plays even 10% as well as asphalt it will be my favourite FH map of all time.

(I love Asphalt a little too much)

5. Pwnography

Pwnography Ancient

Looks really nice and clean. I think that's what I like about halo 4 forge. Everything looks like it fits really naturally. I think you could do with a bit more cover but other than that it looks really fun.

6. Skyward Shoe

Skyward Shoe BTB Legend
    Forge Critic Senior Member

And so the awesome custom games of Halo 4 have begun, where all possible herps and derps of gametypes and ordnance drops are under our control and therefore do not suck.

Those were an awesome few games we played, especially that hog run. Overall it played great and looked super sexy (sexier with shadows of course but still not bad in the vid.) Hopefully we can iron out any kinks and find the ideal slayer/ flag variants for it. And just an FYI, any visual similarities to Asphalt are not indicative of how the map plays. It's much better and has far less overloading of weapons and vehicles, even in Infinity Slayer. ;)

7. BasedGod of Grunge

... Better... than Asphalt?

This is not possible. Asphalt is GOAT.

8. Skyward Shoe

Skyward Shoe BTB Legend

Well, personally I did not like Asphalt because it felt overloaded with weapons and vehicles and basically personified what I do not like about BTB Heavies. So in my opinion it plays better, but regardless it plays differently.

9. WhackyGordon

WhackyGordon Forerunner

Looks good. I like the design over S. More interesting. The name and aesthetic too.
    Are there call-outs though? Looked kinda homogeneous in that video.

10. BasedGod of Grunge

I see. Still though, the layout of the map is by far my favourite kind of layout, and it looks like it will be quite fun.

11. Behemoth

Behemoth The Man With No Face

Ducky, I need to get in on a game on this, NAO.
    Seriously, it looked great, even unfinished, but now... Oh my.
    I absolutely love the hog track and how you can "basically do whatever the **** you want."
    Nice addition with the vehicle pads, too.
    P.S. Panic Station came on the radio last night and this immediately came to mind :p

12. Waterfall

Waterfall Promethean

Asphalt and trident are awesome in tach matchmaking, I wish they would have seen port authority.
    Anyways OT: I love this, I don't know why but I get a feel when looking at this as I did first time I saw port authority (which required a lot of tissues) liking the layout and the verticality of it. Kind of curious to see how dominion turns out here but it looks like CTF will be amazing,

OFF TOPIC AGAIN:
    I hope they start looking at user made maps soon and actually make good choices as to what maps go into matchmaking (not cragmire,worst map EVER]

13. Psychoduck

Psychoduck Spartan II

Well seeing as my map S in Reach was essentially a more streamlined version of the design Asphalt used which was made months before Asphalt was, I would say that i have that base covered. This was not inspired by Asphalt at all, although it was somewhat inspired by S. A lot of inspiration actually came from smaller, room-based maps in reach.

The video makes the map out to be a bit homogeneous, but it really isn't. The dynamic lighting (which isn't in the video) helps this, but the two sides of the map are different enough to make them each instantly recognizable. One side has a rock floor while the other does not, the two atriums are very different in shape, and the two sides of the map in general look pretty different. Of course there's also callouts like "Red sniper Bridge", "Red Atrium", and "Red Elbow Ramp" as well, even though the objects aren't actually colored red or blue.

Thanks for all the other comments as well guys. Hopefully you can all get some games on this at some point. It's been a lot of fun so far.

14. Berb

Berb Forerunner

This looks pretty sick Duckman. The pieces you've used look really nice, and I've been up to something similar with the gold coloring. I'll see if I can get in a lobby on this during the week.

15. SilentJacket

SilentJacket Forerunner

pleaseoplease let it have a panic button (and by that, I mean a landmine)

16. Audienceofone

Audienceofone Forerunner

My one complaint is the title, so nothing important (I only expect that this is the first of over 9000 'stations' we will be seeing on Impact).

You need to invite me to test this, I loved 'S' and the mere comparison was enough to make me giddy enough to use the word 'giddy'. That's damn giddy. The video looked nice too, too bad about the lighting, I assume it looks far better in game.

17. Kittenpaste Company

Kittenpaste Company Forerunner

Looks fun. :3 I need to get back onto Live... :s

18. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

the map is gorgeous and is the first well-forged map we've seen in H4.
    i loved the layout.

my problem with it was not with the map itself, but with ordnance.

during the games we played on it, ordnance was simply out of control. the map felt too small for the huge amount of power weapons that were running around on it, and additionally, the hogs felt over-dominant, as i commented in the game session.

looking forward to the final version where these minor issues will have been addressed.

19. Psychoduck

Psychoduck Spartan II

I've actually re-worked the ordnance system since we played. It's really the randomness of the infinity ordnance that causes any issues at this point, which is a problem which occurs on any map. If it really becomes an issue, we just won't be able to play infinity slayer on forged maps. Also, I don't believe the hogs were too powerful, there's a lot of ways to counter them (more now with the changes I made to the ordnance system), and I think the problem is that the teams were so imbalanced last night. It's not rare for Shoe and I to rack up a crazy hog run like that on any map anyway.

Thanks for all the comments anyone, I'll be testing this again tonight.

20. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

good to know. send an invite.