Pallet Parade

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Cosmic Rick, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

[​IMG]

Map Download Link: Pallet Parade
    ---------------------The Palletizer

Map Haiku: Kill your friends and ride / A working conveyor belt / What else could you want?

General Overview:

Generally, I make big maps. And I always run out of items to pretty the place up. So this time I decided to make a small map, with a focus on slayer. This is the product. The first think you might notice is a pallet-based conveyor belt. It's mainly there for aesthetics, but it also delivers some explosives to the players (spike grenades, a plasma grenade, and a trip mine). I also wanted to throw in some intuitive and quick ways to get around the map, hence the little elevators on the bottom level. I worked a nice, not-too-boxy map geometry around these elements and threw in some more aesthetic touches. I hope the community enjoys it. Oh, and there are two little 'easter eggs' in the level for you to find. You can ride on one, and the other one is orange. See if you can find them without going into monitor mode.

The Palletizer:

The Palletizer is a more "MLG-friendly" version of Pallet Parade that I've released at the suggestion of a number of members both here and on the Bungie forums. Essentially, it's a 'dumbing-down' of the weapon layout. It balances a little better for objective games, and is probably more fair for truly competitive games. So for those of you who didn't like it before, please enjoy.

Suggested Gametypes:

Notes: I don't suggest putting more than 6 people on this map at a time. The map isn't great for 1 on 1 because of the heavier weapons on the map. Also, I'd turn off starting grenades if there are more than 4 people on the map.

FFA and small team slayer: This map was created with slayer in mind. I personally like 2 v 2 or FFA fiesta with 4-6 players.
    CTF: Set the round time limit to 2:00, and set the flag to touch-reset, otherwise the attacking team won't have much trouble scoring. Alternatively, you can allow more than 1 flag capture per round, which makes for some interesting (and fast) gameplay.
    King of the Hill: FFA for 3 or 4 players works pretty well here
    Juggernaut: Mr. Teabag, anyone?
    Territories: 2 on 2 territories with a 2-minute time limit and 15 second capture time is a blast for those of us who like control gametypes.
    Assault: Same as CTF. Move the arming and disarming times down at your leisure.

Screenshots:

The Conveyor Belt
    This is the main (but not only) aesthetic feature of the map: a working conveyor belt that'll bring you explosives. What more could you ask for?
    [​IMG]

THE BIG RED BUTTON
    The Conveyor Belt is controlled by this BIG RED BUTTON, which has the added benefit of giving you an overshield. If you hear explosions, that means the conveyor belt is a-movin' and somebody's got got extra shields. Note that you can crouch and follow the conveyor belt to a little lower-level passageway.
    [​IMG]

Elevators
    Need to get up to the top floor quick? Jump into this little baby. You won't be disappointed. The shiny arrows tell you the direction you should go... in case you couldn't figure it out. Advanced users will learn to toss frag-grenades into the anti-gravity field to create a ticking time-bomb.
    [​IMG]

Elevator Attack
    The 'attackers' side of the map also features a gravity elevator. This one will take you to the catwalk where you can grab yourself a spartan laser.
    [​IMG]

Bottom-side Overview
    This is what the lower level of the map looks like from up high. You should learn how to make use of all the jumping platforms available to you... practice up for Blackout, you know? There's a bubble shield, a BR, a carbine, SMG's, and some plasma grenades around this area.
    [​IMG]

Top Base
    This is the top base, where your objectives will spawn. The top base is armed more heavily than the bottom, so this is where you probably want to be during a slayer game. A sniper, spikers, regenerator, and brute shot should keep your enemies pretty busy.
    [​IMG]

Stairs From Above
    This is one of the places on the map where lots of people die. You might want to find a more creative way around it.
    [​IMG]

Stairs From Bottom
    This is the attackers' view of the same area.
    [​IMG]

Plasma
    I haven't put the fuel-rod gun in a map in a while, but it makes a triumphant return in Pallet Parade. It can be found in the 'pallet repository' beneath the conveyor belt.
    [​IMG]

Grayskull
    By the power of Grayskull, I HAVE THE POWER!!! If you download this map, bungie may give you the power to shoot laserbeams from your eyes. It's just something I heard...
    [​IMG]

Weapon Loadout:

[​IMG]
    *The geometry here is severely out of proportion. The equipment on the map is a trip-mine, a regenerator, and a bubble shield, from top to bottom.

Map Download Link: Pallet Parade
    ---------------------The Palletizer

Thanks so much to my many many testers and suggestive agents. Go ride some pallets!

#1 Cosmic Rick, Apr 13, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  2. LIGHTSOUT225

Simply amazing Cosmic, you just keep getting better and better. You're really setting the bar for the rest of us as far as aesthetics and originality goes. Well done. I always have a blast playing this, and I like the changes you made with the extra entrance to the pallet repository.

Can we co-forge a map soon? Can you say all-star team?

EDIT: Oh and i know both easter eggs already hehe

#2 LIGHTSOUT225, Apr 13, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  3. the other dark

the other dark Ancient

I always love the aesthetic touches you add to your maps. The parade is definitely my favorite of them. The arrows and the 'on' made out of the nodes are great too.

4. xxAl Capwnagexx

xxAl Capwnagexx Ancient

I will DL this first to play this map, it looks amazing. Then I will try to look at how you created the pallet conveyer belt. Also, how you created the ON and arrows with the nodes. Can you say featured?

5. TXGhost

TXGhost Ancient

Very fun map, and at least I am in one+ pictures. You always amaze me at your creativity Cosmic. 5 Stars, and DL from me.

6. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

IT'S FINALLY HERE!!! I'm glad this map is finally upon us. I can't wait to play on this map, and you better believe I will. You should see if anyone has a capture card to get a video of the conveyor belt in action. Anyways, keep up the work Sir Rick.

[edit]: The "On" sign is a forge-gasm....great take from "Furious' " flower from Exacted. This is easily your best aesthetic map, lets see if game play compares to Kentucky Tango.

#6 Draw the Line, Apr 13, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  7. Nitrous

Nitrous Ancient

I've gone cosmic with this map. Rusty Eagle was gawking at it last night. He was having a fit over all the stuff you did ;).

What you did with this map was astounding. The gameplay was a little rough, but aesthetics more than make up for that.

8. iversonrocks03

iversonrocks03 Ancient

featured

ha said it

no but seriously this could be the most creative map ive ever seen

i always wanted to try and make a belt like you have but the way to make one exceeded my iq

im gonna have to take a look at this

im in ah right now i cant even say anything else

anything else

9. whitelime

whitelime Ancient

This looks beautiful i love the look of the conveyor belt, when i saw all your pictures and the way it was put together my mouth dropped, i just have to play this i might have to go over to my mates place to just play your level. I also love that you chose a fuel rod i have not seen many of then used wisely in maps so i will have to see how it plays.

You are a great forger :)

10. The Dew

The Dew Ancient

Pure genious.

11. bnasty574

bnasty574 Ancient

I<3thismap.

and you know it.

12. Maxwell360

Maxwell360 Ancient

You know I had to reply to this Cosmic... you put me in 3 of the screenshots! (I am white and red with an E.O.D helm). Anyway, the map looks and played really well. Just the little things you did with the sender nodes and the elevators made me impressed and upped the level of enjoyment.

I did not notice the pallet converbelt however, was that a last minute addition or was I just un-aware of the glowing "on sign"...

Also, if you get bored of this play a round of team snipers on "Kentucky Tango"

13. MNM1245

MNM1245 Ancient

An amazing map! The aesthetics lik the arrow pointing to the on button and the up arrow look great.

14. LIGHTSOUT225

really? ...REALLY?!

15. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Crap on a stick, Cosmic; how do you keep doing this? I can't wait to check it out!

BTW - Loved the last pic.

16. LIGHTSOUT225

Yeh no kidding I didn't know Cyclops played Halo... whats his GT?

17. xxAl Capwnagexx

xxAl Capwnagexx Ancient

Well, I just played a 2v2 slayer game with BR starts on this map, and loved it. Then again, I love any map I win by 20+ and have 30 kills on. Just kidding. Great map.

This map has some lovely interlocking, I love the conveyor belt and the overall shape. Not to mention the teleporter nodes.

Anyway, I had many positives, but I think they are too numerous to name and apparent from the start.

I do, however have a few problems with the map.

SPAWNS
    We played to 50 and the game went quick, but a few times I threw a grenade where I guessed they would spawn and was rewarded with an easy kill. But, a smaller map like this that is going to happen a few times anyway.

LIFTS
    I don't know if this is intentional or not, but when you go up the lift towards sniper spawn, the player goes backwards. I could easily camp up there and assassinate the other team over and over, and because of the window panels, I could tell when they would come underneath me and turn around.

WEAPON PLACEMENT
    I found that the upper level had a sniper, bruteshot, and dual spikers within a close proximity of each other. The top level is already a nice spot without the weapons, because you have the upper hand on the rest of the map. Why not give the lower parts better weapons, and possibly more cover on the side you face when looking out the window panels.

Otherwise, with those small things, great map!

18. Furious D 18

Furious D 18 Ancient

This map sucks. Sorry, I just needed to break up the Praise Parade of Pallet Parade. Honestly, this map is quite impressive.

The working conveyor belt is truly the first of its kind. I'd expect people to copy it, except for the fact that they could never outdo what you've created.

I never noticed that the trip mine was delivered by the belt. Was that a recent addition, or was I just too involved in combat during testing to notice it?

I love the neon signs. I know from experience what a pain it is to make them line up properly. It shows that you take pride in your map.

I will comment on Bungie.net soon.

You get positive rep from me for having cool map-zorz.

Note to self: Never release a map around the same time that Cosmic Rick does. You'll get overshadowed.

19. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

w0lv3rin3sBeeyotch, I think.

20. MattDGiant

MattDGiant Ancient

omg
    this is so awesome....
    i think i just forged my pants

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.