Overgrown

Discussion in 'WIP - Works In Progress' started by iTs_NeXn, Jul 22, 2012.

1. iTs_NeXn

iTs_NeXn Legendary

Wanted to try my hand at a Sanctuary re-imagining because I never was quite satisfied with any of the ones we currently have. I felt like it needed something like a breath of fresh air. The map has some pretty significant changes that will definitely change the map from what we're all used to.

Currently only set up for CTF and Slayer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, test, enjoy, test some more and tell me how it plays!

Download

2. neverendinghalo

neverendinghalo Forerunner

Holy.****.Nuggets. How many players is this meant for? if its meant for 4v4 then I'm very impressed. I like how you didn't just try and remake Sanctuary, you took it and made it into a sexy beast. The only problem I could see with this is frl, if it didnt have that, it would deserve a cake. The aesthetics look hella awesome too.

#2 neverendinghalo, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  3. iTs_NeXn

iTs_NeXn Legendary

I appreciate it bro. It's meant for 4v4 (I know, right?!), and from all the games I've played on it I've yet to find any frame rate problems outside of forge mode.

4. neverendinghalo

neverendinghalo Forerunner

A cake shall be made for you then, that's awesome that it has no frl.

5. Noxiw

Noxiw Ancient

There's no rule against naming maps the same as other maps.

Anyway, this looks freakin' sexy, dude. I need to get a game in on here.

6. Katanga

Katanga Ancient

I like the look of it, it's hard to tell the amount of changes you've made from pictures, so I'll look out for this map. I like the more open feel you've gone for, though. Asylum had that issue of one side being open, and one being comparatively cramped. Personally, I've always preferred the side of Asylum without towering rocks.
    An overview wouldn't go a miss though ;)

7. iTs_NeXn

iTs_NeXn Legendary

The date on the file is 4/11, not putting into account the few months on and off it took me to make it. So I kind of got you beat on the date. ;) anyways, duplicate names don't really even matter.

I'll get you an overview. ;)

[​IMG]

8. Silentraine

Silentraine Forerunner

The first time I saw screenshots of this beast my mind was blown, screw Halo 2 and LolAsylum, this makes them both look like a distant memory. I love that you went wild with alot of the reimagined aspects, the atrium is simply beautiful and that area of the canyon has some pretty nice lighting for 2x2 and 2x1 flats lights to stand out and stand out they do. I wish I knew how you came up with such beautiful designs, that are each vastly different from the previous one. Eitherway I've played the version thats been on your fileshare a while naow, and its gameplay is solid and it plays very similiar to sanctuary but has some differences and better qualities that make it stand above old faithful. Love it nex, and I'd enjoy getting some games on this newer version as I'm sure youve improved it even more.

9. Katanga

Katanga Ancient

I feel spoiled :)

One of the big changes I noticed is there's no ramps up to ring 2. That's certainly going to make pushing for Rockets riskier, plus I assume it'll fix the issue of getting the power weapon and hoarding it in the center.

Also liking how the map looks closer to the ground in areas. I reckon you could even get away with vehicles in the more open areas, although I dunno if that'd wreck the balance a bit.

I just noticed you have a Download link too. I'll come back with some feedback if I can get a game.

10. Silentraine

Silentraine Forerunner

If your going to work on getting some games on it Katan look me up, id be interested. Also play it on MLG or Halo 4 settings its just cake with those set ups :), there on my fileshare if you needs them as well. Its all around just a gorgeous play space, and the name overgrown fits it sexy terrain scaling design is sexi. Also Nex im going to message you later about a olddd sketch up I ran across and screenshots of some old maps I think you lost or never got to post :( that I love.

11. Organite

Organite Journalist

Wow... this certainly looks worlds better than the current Sanctuary variants that we have to play on.

12. SecretSchnitzel

SecretSchnitzel Donald Trump
    Forge Critic Senior Member

At the top of the image there is some natural terrain is bisecting the bridge between the base and snipe hut. Is there something similar on the opposite side of the map?

13. iTs_NeXn

iTs_NeXn Legendary

Functionally symmetrical, yes. There are multiple areas on the map that differ, but are functionally the same.

14. ArmadillosTHFC

ArmadillosTHFC Promethean

holy mother of god, my eyes just lost their virginity. twice. This looks like an amazing re-imagination. I HAVE TO look around this... good show my man.

15. theSpinCycle

theSpinCycle Halo Reach Era

I like how you didn't make it where Sanctuary is in Forge World. This spot definitely gives it a "new" atmosphere. In the last picture, is that leftmost rock a tac jump to get back into Ring 2? Also, how does the natural terrain affect gameplay? Can players abuse the rocks on the edge of the canyon to get a height advantage?

Also, loving the aesthetic choices. Downloading.