Opinions on Halo Reach Forge

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by CheezeWiz, Sep 18, 2010.

1. cluckinho

cluckinho Well Known

Lining things up vertically seems to be the biggest issue. I also think it's lame that you have to push yourself away from the object and not the other way around

2. Linubidix

Linubidix Ancient

There is absolutely no comparison for Sandbox/Foundry to Forge World. Forge World is better. period.

My biggest annoyance has been the awkwardness of placing small objects like weapons and stuff, and that barely bothers me. Other than that, it's near-perfect.

3. Rifte

Rifte Ancient

The gametype incompatibility message sucks. I hate how you have to set everything up in the advanced menu and gametype specific labels. So much easier in Halo 3. Oh, that and how you have to end game to change the gametype you want to set your map up to.

Otherwise I enjoy forge right now as is.

#23 Rifte, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  4. cory21

cory21 Ancient

I haven't really check out forge yet, but the lack of a large flat ground like in Sandbox is something I don't like.

5. Shatakai

Shatakai Ancient

Position Snap and Edit Coordinates are orgasmic.

6. Linubidix

Linubidix Ancient

Yeah, this biggest learning curve in Reach is setting up gametypes. Much better in comparison to 3 where Forge as a whole had an enormous learning curve.

Then you'll be satisfied with Forge World, there are quite a few large flat objects available.

7. GoodOldChurch

GoodOldChurch Forerunner

I haven't really built a full map yet. I've been testing smaller ideas and getting used to the new controls (which while frustrating, I know in the long run are better). The main frustration I have is the surprise limitations. I don't know about anybody else, but I thought you'd be able to forge in the waterfall (but the waterfall would go right through), and other areas.
    But I built a really cool church the other day for fun and my friend made a boombox. Thank god for phase physics. That's so incredibly useful.

8. JackalAnubis

JackalAnubis Ancient

here's my take so far from making my first map:

PROS

- Phase is great no more ghostmerging shenanigans
    -Alignment adjustments are great for getting things lined up right
    -New budget/larger items/bigger map means way more possibilities for stuff
    - Delete all items is great for restarting things like spawns
    -Seems to identify the object you want to pick up better
    -Object rotation/translation seems to be on kind of fixed axis even when using freestyle placement.
    -Being able to orbit the object while placing it is very nice.
    -Camera move to adjust object's rotation is cool most times, but in a tight spot its really annoying.

CONS

- Editing a map, then quitting without saving, then restarting the map you will see those changes still present even though you quit without saving. Only switching to another map and back again will you see the map layout how it was when you saved. I don't know if this is a bug or a feature but it's annoying.

-Occasionally getting exploded. (although I usually build using 2 controllers, using one controller to move the object and the other to view it. Trying to move/view on the same controller sometimes I explode because of weird camera movement.

-Weapons are still awkward to place/camera does goofy stuff

-Vehicles have weird collision when placing near objects

-I personally don't like the thumbstick adjustment. I find it awkward to use because I use that controller to move slightly when placing, its goofy having to hold it down while moving. If I can change the button that's cool, but I don't think I can.

-I find it annoying how objects will change their texture color when you don't want them to. I know its because of lighting, but it looks funky when two identical objects are sitting side by side and one is dark, while the other is light. I wish the lighting was either a gradient shift or user controllable.

-No option to group select/move objects

-No option to duplicate object (create a clone object/ group of objects in the same placements/rotations)

-some objects are way too expensive (lights, mancannons, shield doors etc)

#28 JackalAnubis, Sep 19, 2010
  9. Docter Jimmy

Docter Jimmy Ancient

The only problem I personally have with Reach's forge is the lack of features in maps other than Forge World. It's not too big a problem, but some cool maps from Halo 3, like Jenga, are pretty much impossible to make now.

Otherwise it's near perfect, a million times better than Halo 3 is almost every way.

10. Rolfero

Rolfero Ancient

there's flat ground in forge world, so yay yay :D
    I consider that an enourmous feature. Never built something quitting without saving and FUUUUUUUCK all your hard work is gone?
    You can still go to the latest saved version, and you will be playing on that one, so nothing is lost.

11. Rifte

Rifte Ancient

Me too. It's annoying but one day it might save you. Like bicycle helmets :D

12. Crippled Hobo

Crippled Hobo Ancient

I kinda think that the creative value has gone. I mean, on sandbox, we had sandy colored blocks that seemed really ugly and basic, but the amount of variety that came out of those blocks was incredible! Futuristic, modern and old styled looking maps were made using these same bland colored blocks, and now, all we have is a STRONGLY futuristic looking pallet of colors.

Don't get me wrong! I agree that forge is definitely better, I love everything about the new features and the new playground we've got, but the variety of style is gonna get a bit boring I think. It's gonna be the same old, same old futuristic looking map with bridges going here and there.

13. Benji

Benji Ancient

Don't forget that you still have all the chunky blocks you want.

The only thing that pisses me off is placing spawns and items.

14. Crippled Hobo

Crippled Hobo Ancient

Yeh, but the thing that i'm on about is that with the sandy blocks it was pretty much a solid color, so if you used your imagination you could make it look like any styled map: futuristic or old. But with the forge world options that we have, it's ALL a futuristic pallet, it isn't even a solid color it has blue lines and stuff all over it, so pretty much all maps that are gonna be created are going to have a futuristic theme which might get a bit boring?

I don't know, it's just my opinion. Someone might prove me wrong and bring out a really unique styled map and some how make it look like something other than futuristic.

#34 Crippled Hobo, Sep 19, 2010
  15. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented
    Forge Critic Senior Member

I agree with Hobo to some extent. On Sandbox, we essentially had 4 different textures... stone, grass, gold, and wood. In Forge World, we essentially have three placeable textures... metal, glass, and stone, with the metal and glass kind meshed together. I'm sure a lot of people will be able to make a lot out of these though.

Forge World is still awesome and I completely prefer it to Halo 3 forge.

16. Benji

Benji Ancient

Also, don't forget we still have tin cups.

17. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Yeah, but there's only 10, they're weird now, and they don't look like the grass already there.

18. Wood Wonk

Wood Wonk Ancient

i HATE leaning weapons against walls. it is easily the most difficult thing about this new forge.

19. TrentonRhamez

TrentonRhamez Forerunner

You don't have to switch/load another map.

Map > Forge World > Map Variant

Just a simple shuffle through the menus to your map again to reload it. And I think it's a pretty handy feature considering if something goes wrong and you lose all that hard work, the game creates a backup save for you.

20. JackalAnubis

JackalAnubis Ancient

Ok this is an example of what happens for me:

I'm building a tower and I'm unsure if there's a better combination of items than what I'm using. I'll save my map with what I have, and then delete some stuff and try rebuilding it another way. If the rebuild is successful I'll save and continue, otherwise I'll quit and restart the forge session to get back to what I had earlier.

When I load it again everything is all messed up so if I was to continue building and didn't notice that there were pieces I wrecked, I could accidentally save over and lose my original design.

I could (and sometimes do) save alternate copies of the map, but this really clutters up the map list and is annoying.

Personally I'd rather the temporary save thing to be accessible from the menu after quitting, and not defaulted if I don't reset the map. Mostly because when I quit without saving it's intentional.