One-way shield door tricks

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by RandomPanda0, Nov 5, 2010.

1. RandomPanda0

RandomPanda0 Forerunner

I know that something like this has been posted but I have yet to find it. If you are the one who discovered the trick (many people may have so it could be considered universal) please let me know so that I can give proper credits to the founder.

Object Coloring
    Place an one-way shield (red or blue side showing) at or near a non-windowed surface (such as 2x4 block or a coliseum wall) so that the shield's showing color shines greatest. If done correctly, this can be used to depict blue and red teams.

Elevator and Trampoline Trick
    Place an one-way shield (red side up) anywhere. If done correctly, you can now bounce on the shield. Place a shield at most 2.1 units above the trampoline to create a continuous elevator.

Inertia Stopper
    Place an one-way shield (blue side up) anywhere. If done correctly, jumps that would normally kill you will survive unless it is still too high. If the jump is still too high, place shields at most 2.1 units above or below the original shield to multiply the effect.

No Jumping Trick
    Place an one-way shield (blue side up) at or near a floor. If done correctly, you can no longer jump in this area due to the shield gravity pulling you down.

Floating Trick
    Place two one-way shields on the same z-coordinate and make sure they touch each other. Make it so that the shields are facing opposite sides (blue and red on either side). If done correctly, you are now floating due to the gravity pulling you up and pulling you down, however, you still bounce though.

Anti-Gravity Trick
    Place an one-way shield (blue side down) at or near a ceiling. If done correctly, you are on the ceiling and will not fall down, however, the ceiling is slippery.

Ladder Trick (Adapted and learned from Pyro6666)
    Place an one-way shield (red side toward wall) near a wall and make sure that the shield is tilted at least one degree away (on the top) from the wall. Now if you jump at or walk to the wall, you will be lifted up.

Jump Pad (Credits to iTs_NeXn)
    Place an one-way shield (red side up) 0.2 units below a designated platform and any gravity lift within a reasonable distance below shield. If done correctly, the area on the platform where the gravity lift is under, if jumped near, will launch you up according to the gravity lift's power. Optionally, you might want to mark the gravity lift's location to make it viewable to all. Also works with other man cannons.

Arc Elevator (Credits to Schleb)
    Place one-way shields in arc formation (all shields with same orientation). If does correctly this trick can be used to reach other floors or used in conjunction with elevators.

Floating Covenant Vehicles (Credits to Twelve)
    Place a regular shield wall on a gentle slope (30/60 degrees) or flatter and covenant vehicles will float on it. If done with one-way shields it will work worse but still applicable to revenants and ghosts (ghosts cannot turn or else they will fall).

Wraith Cannon
    Place an one-way shield at or near a wall (red side down). If done correctly, the wraith will be trapped in and will be only able to move the cannon up and down.

Investigations (for you and me)
    -Combined shields at an angle
    -Vehicles and shields
    -Shields with 'Normal' physics
    -Ladders on different faces

If possible could someone make a video or images to put in the guide?

#1 RandomPanda0, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. S42

S42 Forerunner

They can be used as an elevator, as seen in the forged level Mint. Or can be used as a inertia stopper, for the center of a stairwell that you know people will fall down on accident.

3. pyro

pyro The Joker

So I was going to say I have an addition for you but I guess I'm too late :p
    The anti gravity thing can actually be used to trap people against walls and other fun stuff.
    Rolfero had a sort of compendium fir all this stuff, but he seems to have gone dark and mods haven't taken it over or stickied it for some reason.

4. RandomPanda0

RandomPanda0 Forerunner

Thanks, I'll be sure to add those. Also a question, how do you place spoilers? Thanks sure you tell me.

5. B3NW

B3NW Ancient

I discovered the elevator trick way before Reach was even released.. It's exactly the same as the ladder method except you don't merge them into another item.

6. Kittenpaste Company

Kittenpaste Company Forerunner

I like the first trick you listed. Great for bogging down players.

7. pinohkio

pinohkio Ancient

text goes here [/spoiler*]
    Just remove the *

The only one I wasn't aware of is the inertia stopper. I may have to experiment with that a little bit.

8. RandomPanda0

RandomPanda0 Forerunner

Ok, I have added object coloring, inertia stopper, and trampoline (which if you read also tells you about elevators.)

9. HopefulRUIN

HopefulRUIN Ancient

Most of them are no brainers, but I hadn't thought of the ladder one, Thanks.:D

10. PoorCaboose

PoorCaboose Forerunner

Thanks. Very helpful. I'm going to see if I can make a loop-de-loop with these things next time i get online.

11. RandomPanda0

RandomPanda0 Forerunner

Added Investigations, Spoilers, and my request

12. The Ghost

The Ghost Forerunner

Hmm, I'll be working on a video later today so since I'll have my recorder out I'll see if I have time to make a video about all these tricks.

13. Korlash

Korlash Remember Isao
    Forge Critic Senior Member

someone from mlgpro discovered that you can use one way doors to make a sort of "ski lift." place a wall(s) as a ceiling at a 15-35 degree angle in between one platform and another lower platform (both ends of the ceiling should be above both platforms). Then place one way shield doors along with and touching the ceiling (blue side facing down).

Effect: jump from one platform to another by hooking to the ceiling and sliding down. Hold the left stick forward to increase your speed.

A good use for it: traveling across a long distance for a jump you wouldn't be able to make before.

Also, you can use it to travel upward as well. However, the slope cannot be so steep, and you move slower.

Drawback: Mainly just the speed. You flow too slowly and you are vulnerable to shots. Another thing, people can hold the stick backward to make them flow even more slowly, and even turn around (which will keep you on the lift for a long time)

This was not discovered by me so i don't need/want any credibility

Edit: This could be included in the anti-gravity spoiler i suppose

#13 Korlash, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  14. Twelve

Twelve Forerunner

I found out that floating vehicles, such as the ghost, revenant, and wraith, can actually drive over a one way shield if it's blue side up. Try not to make the vehicle wobble too much though, because if any part of the vehicle gets too close to the shield, you'll be pulled under. But it would make a neat "vehicle-only" bridge. Like I said though, it only works on floating vehicles.

Edit: I forgot if I tested normal shield doors or not... I will tonight when I get home.

#14 Twelve, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  15. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

I'm using the anti-gravity one as a key aspect of a map I'm making now. Should be out this week, since I'm trying to finish it for the Forgetacular contest. Basically it will be a small arena-type map with several areas where you can cling to the ceiling, either for easily getting from place to place, or to mix up the combat. One funny thing though - when you are stuck on the ceiling and you throw grenades, they stick to the ceiling right next to you. Dangerous! Shooting works fine, as long as the shield is sufficiently close to the ceiling.

16. RandomPanda0

RandomPanda0 Forerunner

I tested this and here's what I got
    Wraith - Not worth it
    Ghost - Can move forward and strafe; no turn
    Revenant - Best overall movement

17. iTs_NeXn

iTs_NeXn Legendary

You can make a UT/Quake-esque jump pad with a 'one way shield door 2' and a vehicle man cannon as seen in my map Sequence. Tutorial will be coming soon, but until then, feel free to take my lift apart and see how it's built.

18. buddhacrane

buddhacrane Ancient

It does work with normal shield doors, much much better infact because you won't get pulled through from wobbling. I figured this out a few weeks ago. It was only a matter of time before someone else put 2 and 2 together!

19. RandomPanda0

RandomPanda0 Forerunner

Added Floating Covenant Vehicles and Wraith Cannon

20. schleb

schleb Ancient

bottom floor to second floor...

lets say there was a floor above you. you can place shield doors like this
    (starting from the bottom and working your way up)
    1=90*
    2=30/45*
    3=180*
    4=30/45* (other direction)
    5=90* (@the top of the 2nd floor)

so you've created a "fan" shape...walk/jump into it and it should bring you around the floor and up to the second level!

lets see if i can imitate this with lines as the doors

l/_
    l\

do you see/get it?