One way lift

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by B3NW, Aug 23, 2010.

1. redearth

redearth Ancient

Actually black holes just suck you in and crush... sorry, science nerd got the best of me.

Anyway, I was thinking a bit and this idea came into my head. Does the one way shield door accelerate you when you hit it, or does it bring you to a certain speed? Because if it brings you to a certain speed, then you could use that effect to create a jumper bumper, where, like the spire, by hitting it slows you down enough to live.

On the other hand, if the opposite is true and it only accelerates, you can use it as a suction trap, allowing a death from falling to occur in shorter distances.

2. B3NW

B3NW Ancient

Actually they do not know enough about black holes to be sure of that. :p

Uhm, that would need a test, but it is a great idea actually. It would really depend on how the game is coded. If it is coded so that it is solid for a milisecond when you hit it (before hit detection kicks in) then it could kill you, but it could also do what you say and slow you down. I would prefer it to slow you down. I will get someone to test it out asap. :)

3. EvilChameleon09

EvilChameleon09 Forerunner

Got a question for you.

Assuming that these doors come in different sizes, a "perfect fit", if you will, might not be achieved using one-way doors. So what do you plan on doing to cover it up when the door is too big? That could possibly interfere with other aspects of the map. Too small and you could throw grenades through the cracks.

4. redearth

redearth Ancient

Too small is easy. Cram some stuff if the middle. Too large however... You'll either have to cover it up on adjacent sides if it's in the middle of something, but if it's in a corner of the map it's easy enough to just pull it back a little.

5. B3NW

B3NW Ancient

Yes the one way shields do come in varying sizes. You would have to use the smaller lifts if you were wanting to have a sleek lift that looks small and neat. You wouldn't need to cover the edges up much. They are very close to a square shape.

If you were wanting a much larger lift. (Yes a vehicle lift is possible with this method) Then you would have to hide the edges much more than you would with the smaller ones. If you are a good forger you will be notice anyone covering up these edges.

6. EvilChameleon09

Another question.

Would this lift work like the one on Construct did? One of my favorite things was throwing a Power Drainer up that lift (I know it's not in this game) and weakening the people camping up there. Would we be able to throw grenades up this lift and have them carry all the way?

7. B3NW

B3NW Ancient

I need to look back over gameplay of invasion to find out because the live stream I have been getting information from was posted on a modding forum and got raided. So he is lieing low atm from my knowledge. I'm sure from one side you can (If that is true then yes) and from the other you can't, but do not hold me to it.

8. MaxSterling

MaxSterling Ancient

I think a better application of this usage would be to make ladders up the side of a wall using the door sized 1-sided shield door.

Yes, I'm patenting that idea...

9. EvilChameleon09

You mean where it's barely sticking out of the wall, and they are far enough apart that it's not a lift, and you have to jump up each individual one?

10. MaxSterling

MaxSterling Ancient

Barely sticking out of the wall, yes. But far enough where you can still get sucked up to the top.

11. EvilChameleon09

Then that's not much of a ladder is it? ;)

12. B3NW

B3NW Ancient

Like my diagram but only the edge sticking out.

13. MaxSterling

MaxSterling Ancient

You're either really stupid or have no imagination. Let's see if I can do an ascii version for the mentally challenged...

--=====
    XXXX|^
    X=====
    XXXX|^
    X=====
    XXXX|^
    X=====
    XXXX|^

Looking at it from the front, you just put some thin blocks on either side for the side rails of the ladder.

Bah... the forum doesn't allow spaces to get a front view.

#73 MaxSterling, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  14. EvilChameleon09

You just told me that it is just like B3NW's idea, except it's just barely protruding out of the wall. How is something that requires no effort to "climb" a ladder?

15. MaxSterling

MaxSterling Ancient

... and jumping from step to step is much better?

Most FPS games only require you to push up when facing a ladder, which would be more easily simulated by my example than to jump from rung to rung. [​IMG]

16. EvilChameleon09

All you have to do is walk into your ladder to start "climbing", no? Or do you have to jump? Either way, you only have to do a short action instead of holding up on the control stick.

17. MaxSterling

MaxSterling Ancient

See, you're not as stupid as you post. You get the point of how it simulates a ladder. There is no point in climbing down since it's much more efficient to just jump down.

18. EvilChameleon09

But like I said, by your definition, a ladder in a FPS is an object you have to hold the control stick up to climb. Yours does the work for you.

19. xWooden leafx

xWooden leafx Ancient

S
    You have absolutely no idea how annoying that is. It is a good idea, its not perfect, and your just arguing to be difficult even though you have no solution.

I do believe this ladder idealwas discussed on an earlier map preview though so whoever claimed rights to the ladder is fail

20. EvilChameleon09

How annoying what is? Holding a stick up to climb a ladder?