Old School CTF

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Mini Game Maps' started by azn_dude1, Jul 25, 2008.

1. azn_dude1

azn_dude1 Ancient

[SIZE=+2][SIZE=+2][SIZE=+4]Please wait for v3[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Old School CTF[/SIZE]
    12-16 players, Teams of 6-8

150+ downloads!

Download Map
    Download Gametype

Remember those days at school or with your friends and you guys would play Capture the Flag/Football/Object? You had to get the item from your opponents base and bring it back to yours for a point. If you got tagged, then you went to jail. If one of your teamates got to the jail and tagged you, then you would be free to go back to your side of the field. Well, I have brought this experience to Custom Games! Read on for more info.

Now, many of you might be asking, how can you tag someone in Halo 3 when they're in jail? The method is by using a switch. A custom powerup (Spawn at start: yes, Respawn time: 20) is preventing a fusion coil (Spawn at start: no, Respawn time: 20) from reaching the jail box, which is floating in the air. If someone grabs the custom powerup, then the fusion coils travel up and explode against the jail, blowing up more fusion coils (Spawn at start: no, Respawn time: 20) and destroying two grav lifts (Spawn at start: yes, Respawn time: 10) that are preventing the prisoners from escaping through a teleporter. The teleporter brings them back to their side of the map where they can resume guarding or attacking theirs or their opponents' flag.

The playing field is a modified Summer League Grifball Map, used only because of the perfect wall, effectively blocking off the non-arena area of the map. There are 2 "bases", with the switch mechanism in the back middle of each side, and a jail above each of those. The game consists of 5 rounds of 5 minutes each, 3 captures to win each round. Players spawn with energy swords. They move at 110% speed and have 110% shield recharge rate. The custom powerup traits give you a waypoint over your head for 10 seconds. The flag carrier has 150% damage resistance, deals 50% damage, moves at 75% speed, and has a 90% shield recharge rate. Flag return time is instant to deter those flag dribblers that try to move as fast as the enemy chasing them. Flag dribbling near a jail with opponents inside may also cause the flag to be returned if thrown.

I spent many hours working on this map, and I tried almost a dozen variations before I could get the jail foolproof. Many adjustments were made to the switch mechanism until it worked 100% of the time.

Now, for the pics, which you probably skipped to, but if you didn't read the above information, go back and read the second paragraph after you're done with the pics to see what the fusion coils are for.
    Note: These pics are from a beta version of this map. The only major difference is that the teleporters are upside-down in the current version to prevent teleporter blocking. Teleporter camping is still allowed and is a legitimate strategy. There are several minor changes, but those will become apparent when you download the map.

[​IMG]
    Where the players spawn in the beginning of the round.

[​IMG]
    The gravlifts are on the weapon holder and push the players back, stalling their path to reach one of two teleporters.

[​IMG]
    When you die, you respawn in the jail.

[​IMG]
    What the switch looks like from the top. The mancannon pushing the fusion coil up is behind the bridge.

[​IMG]
    Someone grabbing the trigger for the switch

[​IMG]
    The fusion coil rises up and explodes against the bottom of the jail...

[​IMG]
    ...blowing up 4 other fusion coils and destroying the grav lifts.

[​IMG]
    The players rush out through one of two teleporters...

[​IMG]
    ...and come out through one of two teleporters, not necessarily on the same side as they went in.

[​IMG]
    Look and admire the 2 perfectly interlocked items in this timeless masterpiece of Forge. :)

Now for some action screenshots:

[​IMG]
    Blue team viciously tries to defend their territory

[​IMG]
    All 6 reds are let out by a half-dumb blue team member.

[​IMG]
    A red team flag carrier meets his doom trying to fight off 3 blue team members at once.

[​IMG]
    I look at my energy sword with a feeling of wonder and awe as I think what this blade is capable of doing.

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, feel free to post and I'll get back to you ASAP. Remember to rate after you downloaded it!

Download Map
    Download Gametype

#1 azn_dude1, Jul 25, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  2. Mr. Skittles

Mr. Skittles Ancient

Wow. Thats an awesome creation you have made for yourself. A definite download and 10/10 from me, but I ask you: How do you have it flawless that they spawn in the jail when they die? I have never been able to have someone spawn like that...

3. azn_dude1

azn_dude1 Ancient

I have starting points for when the round starts. These points aren't used again until the next round.

I even have spawn points underneath the grav lifts if they manage to block all of the spawn points. This is so they don't spawn outside of the jail.

4. deathdog1205

deathdog1205 Ancient

seems very cool with the use of the switches. maybe add some to the field. sure dl

5. SiN Fwang

SiN Fwang Ancient

this... this... is awesome! i love the jail break system. total genius! even though it seems empty, that's good because you can modify it however you want once you DL it. love it. 5/5

6. azn_dude1

azn_dude1 Ancient

Thanks for the comments, guys. Feel free to modify it however you want, just be sure to give credit to me if you want to post it again. Or, recommend the map to me, and I'll post it in this thread if you want. My GT is Azn dude1

7. QUINN HAS A GUN

QUINN HAS A GUN Ancient

Very good job! It looks like you put alot of thought into this! 5/5

8. Commander Jako

Commander Jako Ancient

Great job ill totally download!

9. Phoenix619

Phoenix619 Ancient

Amazing, I have never seen this idea before and I know I would have never thought of it. I love the switches good job.

10. stin10

stin10 Ancient

if you could find a way to make it so that you can only die on the enemy side that would be great. also, is the flag return point at the middle line or your base, becasue don't you score once you cross the line. either way, great map very origonal

11. Ryan. K.

Ryan. K. Ancient

That looks like great fun, it seems to be a very tactical game.

I will DL and see how it actually plays, for now, 5/5!

12. Wingsofhalo

Wingsofhalo Ancient

Great Job, could you possibley make a tutorial on how to make this Jail Mechanism? Its very innovative!

13. azn_dude1

azn_dude1 Ancient

No, that would involve 2 KOTH and 1 CTF game going on at the same time and the hill would have to be able to differentiate between each team to apply the traits. That's out of the scope of Halo, but it'd be a nice addition.

The flag return is at the base because it's a short distance from the base to the middle, so to make it more challenging, the flag return is at the flag spawn.

It is a very tactical game, it's best to travel in pairs so if one of you clash with an opponent, the other guy can finish him off. The only problem is that sometimes your whole team is in jail. I'm thinking about placing a fusion coil that will shoot up by itself without a switch and is on a timer, so you get set jailbreak times every 90 seconds or so. I haven't playtested this many times, and the teams I used were blatantly unbalanced. Try playing with more even teams and see if a whole team is ever in jail at the same time.

Do you want the exact tutorial on how to make this specific device or how to make this type of switch? It won't be able to be a video because I don't own a capture card. The jail mechanism took a while to get right, but then duplicating it one the other side was relatively easy, thanks to Foundry's grid and my good memory.

#13 azn_dude1, Jul 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  14. Saint Prodigy

Saint Prodigy Ancient

really awesome im gonna dl it right now and play it with some friends. good map and idea 5/5

15. Norlinsky

Norlinsky Guest

I like this idea. Definitely something I wouldn't have thought of. 5/5. Keep thinking of new stuff like this

16. monkeyrantz

monkeyrantz Ancient

wow, very very smart idea, it confused me at first how this would even be possible, but i thought it through until my head hurt, and believe me it freaking hurt, but yes, this is amazing and a well deserved download for you!

17. rel1t

rel1t Ancient

cool 5/5 for me

18. Frito Bandito 7

Frito Bandito 7 Ancient

This looks very interesting, I like the switch idea and how you can "release" players from jail. I used to love playing school yard CTF with my friends and im happy someone is reviving this epic game... good job on the switch and unique game play

19. IcexBullet

IcexBullet Ancient

I had this idea a long time ago but I couldn't make it due to technical problems(jail system, flag scoring at middle, only killing on one side). Thank you for coming out with this and having the ingenious jail system.

20. Murdock Sampson

Murdock Sampson Ancient

Wow nice. it reminds me of younger days. i wish i had played outside more... 9/10 for the map