Odyssey

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by knghtwhosaysni7, Sep 19, 2010.

1. CrimsonV

CrimsonV Forerunner

This looks really well made by the screenshots. I downloaded it and will look at it when I am online next time, hopefully tonight or tomorrow evening.

2. Linkb8s

Linkb8s Forerunner

Virtually perfect. The only thing that feels off is Under Glass. The roof feels low and there is no chunk of wall to walk on over the entrance coming from ramp, but that's nothing too special (and probably wasn't possible with what you had done anyways). But either way, this is Lockout. Beautiful map.

3. Zoolader m83

Zoolader m83 Ancient

This is a great remake, and I'm glad you are sticking by it and keep improving it. I think this map would look alot better without all of the rocks you have. The player can really get a great view of the waterfalls when the rocks are deleted, and I'm sure it will help frame rate.

4. bmurf

bmurf Ancient

The waterfall usually kills the frame rate. The rocks probably help keep the frame rate under control.

5. Dragull

Dragull Ancient

6. LeonVIII

LeonVIII Ancient

i got a question in the room with the pistol and plasma rifle is it too dark without the lighting cause if not i wanna suggest blue lighting for bottom lift

7. knghtwhosaysni7

knghtwhosaysni7 Ancient

It probably wouldn't be too dark, but I thought it might be counterintuitive to have the lift tower be colored blue when it's close to red base and all the blocks are colored red in there...

Just updated the OP to 1.6

Changes for 1.6:
    + improved framerate a lot (but lift tower is uglier)
    + open ramp is more like Lockout's
    + BR2>>BR3 jump is more like Lockouts bc of the new open ramp
    + lowered the columns and S1 door frames a tiny bit
    + made the bridges between top mid and BR2 and top mid and BR3 have a little bit of an incline like Lockout
    + fusion coils don't respawn

if you find any problems with the framerate, let me know where you are and where you are looking so I can try to reproduce and hopefully fix it. And only look for framerate problems outside of Forge mode, since Forge has a whole bunch of extra things to draw (spawn points, spawn zones, hill arrows) that it wouldn't have to in normal gameplay.

If anyone's curious what I did to improve the framerate, I deleted some Decorations, replaced blocks with glass on them with matte blocks and bridges, and made the walls for lift tower almost entirely out of three coliseum walls. They do stick out the back end, but it's not like they are obstructing any sight lines or giving you extra places to bounce grenades off back there.

#47 knghtwhosaysni7, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  8. SP Dark Killer

SP Dark Killer Ancient

Great update one thing I noticed though is that the drop down from B3 to Sword is not possible. I believe that in Halo 2 it was a lot more difficult to do than H3 but it was not impossible. Might be something you want to look into.

9. knghtwhosaysni7

knghtwhosaysni7 Ancient

I just uploaded a saved game of me doing the drop from BR3 to sword here. If you meant from the rock side of closed ramp to sword that should still be possible, but it's a lot harder for me to do without hitting the building.

edit: This has both of those drops, and I don't jump in either one in this one, just drop. Crouching as you pass the bottom of library seems to do the trick

edit 2: Noticed a slowdown if you walk up the ramp from bottom lift to bottom mid, so I should have that fixed in the next update. Also planning on having a smaller suicide room, and I've been able to cut back on some more spending too

[br][/br]
    Edited by merge:

just updated the OP to 1.71

Changes for 1.71:
    + smaller suicide room
    + more cover on top lift
    + smoothed out some bridges
    + changed position of Territories (now BR3, top lift, elbow, library, and bottom mid)
    + added top lift and bottom mid KOTH hills
    + Red's initial spawn is in bottom lift now, except for Territories when it is at suicide/S2 (it was elbow and bottom lift for everything before)
    + Blue's initial spawn is in the BR2/library/BR1 area (it was at BR3 before)
    + tweaks to help with framerate (I'll upload a version without the surrounding coliseum walls, but there is a minor performance improvement with them, and they are far enough away that bouncing grenades off them won't do anything)
    + changes to weapons:
    Pistols take 60s
    Plasma Pistol is 60s
    Shotgun only has one extra clip now
    Sniper only has one extra clip

#49 knghtwhosaysni7, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  10. Bart Laan

Bart Laan Forerunner

I read all the posts in this thread XD
    Now i downloaded it and it's so damn accurate! Too bad of the FPS lag huh. But you did an amazing job man. The jumps are there, the ledges are there, the details are there... The only thing missing now is snow ;).

Edit: i reccomend you make an infection variant (like in Blackout) if possible.

#50 Bart Laan, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  11. LeonVIII

LeonVIII Ancient

im not gunna lie im not to hot about the new version im not diggin the colliseum walls and near elbow the door frames are sorta edited a bit awkward i feel.....if u have a version without the walls could you happen to post it up please but yeah .....i also have another question thats not really to relevant uuummm are you gunna ever put the structure on top of the lift the very top part im not sure will the budget allow it but yeah

12. The Real Napsta

The Real Napsta Forerunner

I'm greatful for this map because it is the best Lockout remake I have played on. That said this map won't be in my custom game rotation. You built way too close to the waterfalls. The water is super loud, especially to anyone that uses headphones and makes the map unplayable.

13. dishonestpirate

dishonestpirate Forerunner

I'm queueing this for download - its funny this showed up on top of the forum all of a sudden - I have an older version of odyssey and was playing it last night but experienced a lot of frame lag .. gonna grab your new version and give it a run Thanks!