Odyssey

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by knghtwhosaysni7, Sep 19, 2010.

1. knghtwhosaysni7

knghtwhosaysni7 Ancient

First, if someone has a decent name for this, I could use it :)
    edit: Changed the name to Odyssey obviously, thanks jameslieb :)

I think a mod may have edited my thread title, but if it's not obvious from the pictures, this is supposed to be a Lockout remake.

I tried to make the walking as smooth as possible and recreate as many of the critical jumps as I could with Reach's nerfed jumping.

The jumps I made sure to include (this is with the default jump height and speed):
    All S1 door frames to S2 (without an intermediate ledge between the railings and the door frame)
    S1 to top mid (a lot of the lockout remakes I've tried are missing this one)
    S2 columns to ledge, walk around to S3
    top mid to S3 ramp
    S3 ramp to the rear S3 ledge
    Top lift to BR1
    BR1 to bottom lift
    Top mid to BR3
    BR3 floor to BR3 high ledges
    BR3 to sword spawn
    BR2 to door frame to antenna to BR3
    Bottom lift fusion coil to bottom lift ledge
    BR2-Top mid bridge to library window
    underglass-bot lift ledges to bridges outside underglass
    bot lift entrance platform above green room to plasma repeater platform (and reverse)
    Railings behind BR3 to high ledges on BR3

Also have the BR1 to S1 sight line and you can easily drop down the lift shaft without getting caught in the lift/mancannon

YouTube - Odyssey 1.41 Jumps

Thanks Spade193 for making this flythrough:
    YouTube - [Map Overview #10] Halo: Reach - Odyssey (Lockout Remake): knghtwhosaysni7

Both if these videos are from 1.41, but these pics are from the latest version, 1.71

Changes for 1.5:
    + Compatible with Infection
    + Made lift tower closer to BR tower
    + Top lift to BR1 jump is easier
    + Jumps from the ledges on the side of the walkway between underglass and bottom mid to the bridges on either side of bottom mid are doable now
    + Bottom lift is smaller now
    + Platform that the plasma repeater sits on in bottom lift is higher, can now jump from that platform to the walkway above green room
    + Other smaller tweaks just about everywhere

Changes for 1.6:
    + improved framerate a lot (but lift tower is uglier)
    + open ramp is more like Lockout's
    + BR2>>BR3 jump is more like Lockouts bc of the new open ramp
    + lowered the columns and S1 door frames a tiny bit
    + made the bridges between top mid and BR2 and top mid and BR3 have a little bit of an incline like Lockout
    + fusion coils don't respawn

Changes for 1.71:
    + smaller suicide room
    + more cover on top lift
    + smoothed out some bridges
    + changed position of Territories (now BR3, top lift, elbow, library, and bottom mid)
    + added top lift and bottom mid KOTH hills
    + Red's initial spawn is in bottom lift now, except for Territories when it is at suicide/S2 (it was elbow and bottom lift for everything before)
    + Blue's initial spawn is in the BR2/library/BR1 area (it was at BR3 before)
    + tweaks to help with framerate (I'll upload a version without the surrounding coliseum walls, but there is a minor performance improvement with them, and they are far enough away that bouncing grenades off them won't do anything)
    + changes to weapons:
    Pistols take 60s
    Plasma Pistol is 60s
    Shotgun only has one extra clip now
    Sniper only has one extra clip

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 knghtwhosaysni7, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. TympanicMetal

TympanicMetal Ancient

Wow! Perfecto!

I don't have any criticism because you just nailed it.
    Welcome to a place in Halo Reach history.

This will get into matchmaking in no time.

3. jameslieb1

jameslieb1 Ancient

You have a lie in your post.

This is probably the best map I've seen in Reach so far. It looks unbelievably accurate to the original, smooth and well-phased, and it supports more gametypes than just Slayer. That's a first ;P. I'm really looking forward to trying out this map, because I know I'll enjoy it.

5/5

Edit: Here's some cool map names I came up with, use them if you want:
    -Odyssey
    -Overhang
    -Artifact

Oh, and pictures 12 and 14 are exactly the same, you might want to fix that.

#3 jameslieb1, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  4. LeonVIII

LeonVIII Ancient

this is the map is just what im looking for... i havent found 1 good lockout remake till this 1 ...it really is true to lockout....i have 1 problem tho i already went and edited it all myself but u put all the weapons on fixed which when u switch out the weapons causes it to float lol i recommend a v2

5. knghtwhosaysni7

knghtwhosaysni7 Ancient

haha yes i just fixed all those... Was walking around and was wondering what I was bumping into. I think I had them all on fixed bc I had to shift all my blocks at one point, and I didn't want anything falling into the water. Kinda a pain to do, but one tiny corner was out of Forge World's built in soft boundary so I had to.

The one with the normal physics weapons is called Odyssey. Thanks James :) I wanted to work in water somehow and I think Odyssey does that.

6. jameslieb1

jameslieb1 Ancient

No problem, man. :D

Edit: I just played the map, and it plays fantastic. (just like Lockout :D) There's only one problem. You know the Energy Sword's physics are set to Fixed? Well, you should put it to normal, because whenever someone dies with the sword, it usually ends up floating in the air. It's really annoying. Tell me when you fix it, thanks. :)

#6 jameslieb1, Sep 19, 2010
  7. RehnX

RehnX Ancient

Couple questions(My box is being repaired so I can't check myself, sorry).

Is the jump from Suicide-to-topmid doable? The specific one I am talking about is viewable in this video at about, 15 seconds.(Bah, I can't get it to link, I guess it has to be embeded now?) YouTube - NLR vs FB:: Team Slayer Lockout

How much budget is left? Specifically for cover in green hall and the blind spot on open ramp(the only two things your map lacks to be a "perfect" remake).

More unimportant:Can the sniper/Plasma Pistol be naded or exploded across the map/down to elbow?

Overall, well done. In my opinion this is the most accurate looking Lockout to date.

If I might make a slight suggestion though, move the health pack on S2 down to suicide, S2 is already powerful enough :p.

#7 RehnX, Sep 19, 2010
  8. knghtwhosaysni7

knghtwhosaysni7 Ancient

Just updated to 1.01, everything should be normal physics now (apparently I missed a plasma rifle in library as well).

Rehn, that jump is in.

There is about $2000 left, but no blocks atm. I could delete some blocks on the lower levels and switch them out with ramps tho, I still have like ~28 of those left to use. What kind of cover in green hall and what is the blind spot? I wish I could just load up Halo 2, but I don't have it with me at the moment.

Haha, I think the physics have been updated enough to not allow that kind of craziness with the sniper. It can be naded down to top mid but that's about it.

#8 knghtwhosaysni7, Sep 19, 2010
  9. RehnX

RehnX Ancient

In green room there are small(about half spartan sized) pieces of cover that you could crouch behind, they didn't give perfect cover, but would keep you alive(I'll just paste the link, maybe that won't embed them).

They are used at about 3:30 of this video.

YouTube - MLG's Golden Era - A Final Boss Montage

And the blindspot is as you are running up open ramp, visable in this video, YouTube - Lockout Walkthrough Where the ramp curves to the left. In H2 you could crouch and the person coming up the ramp wouldn't be able to see you until they were right on you.

10. Zow Jr

Zow Jr Forerunner

You know the only thing that would have made this 110% perfect is if there was a surface in forgeworld to attach the top of this map- I mean masterpiece to. Then maybe with the next gen FX I wouldn't even think this was forgeworld or reach. Well done my friend.

11. knghtwhosaysni7

knghtwhosaysni7 Ancient

I can definitely add that cover in--I thought my green room was looking empty...

I can make the open ramp work too, but then there is almost no incline between that corner and the back of br3. Is that better?

Okay so Odyssey 1.03 has cover in green room (two crenellations worked perfectly, but i added two kill zones outside the green room so that people wouldnt jump on them). I also made part of the ground in the green room a Y platform, so there is another dip in elevation.

I also increased the steepness on the ramp between BR2 and BR3 so that blind spot is there, but there is almost no incline between that corner and the back of BR3, so let me know what you guys think is better. I personally am thinking the blind spot is more important...

#11 knghtwhosaysni7, Sep 19, 2010
  12. Lance001

Lance001 Ancient

Not aesthetic? Are you drunk?

This is incredible. Attention to detail is staggering, keeping the jumps and gameplay nuances in there is mindblowing...I'm beyond impressed.

For names might I suggest Occlusion or Oblivion (both synonyms for meanings of "lockout")? Anyhoo, amazing map!!!

13. knghtwhosaysni7

knghtwhosaysni7 Ancient

Hopefully I can stop doing these incremental updates so we can get one file to get a bunch of downloads/likes...

So with 1.04 I fixed a bridge between BR2 and library, there were gaps on either side. I also made the open ramp a bit smoother. And my lift shaft actually has a shaft now haha, before there were just two blocks on the left and right but nothing down the center.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#13 knghtwhosaysni7, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  14. LeonVIII

LeonVIII Ancient

not gunna lie agreed i keep dling and theres another version lol but i do love this map

15. knghtwhosaysni7

knghtwhosaysni7 Ancient

Okay one last one, I promise I wont touch it until someone figures out how to get KOTH to work, or unless you guys find something terribly wrong. Newest version is 1.1. I did a lot of line of sight tweaking, so now you can see inside BR1 from elbow just a tiny bit. I also raised the door frames in S1, but you can still make the jumps. If you want proof of any of the jumps, I made a saved game file of me doing all the ones I know of.

The saved film: Bungie.net : Halo Reach : File Details

#15 knghtwhosaysni7, Sep 20, 2010
  16. Phoenix619

Phoenix619 Ancient

This looks so far like an amazing remake, I will play test this on Wednesday and let you know what me and a few of my friends think.

Congrats on the map, I know it must have taken you a while.

#16 Phoenix619, Sep 20, 2010
  17. MacedoniaMafia

MacedoniaMafia Ancient

Pretty much perfect besides the following:

-Green Room could be more detailed. Other remakes recreate much better.
    -S1 to top mid jump is too difficult.
    -Ledge around sniper tower is too difficult to jump/stay on.
    -Improve Top mid to S3 like this:
    [​IMG]

18. knghtwhosaysni7

knghtwhosaysni7 Ancient

I'm gonna wait on more input before changing the jumps, but for S1 to top mid or getting on that S3 ledge, try crouching right away, don't wait. I've been making those jumps consistently almost every time, but the mechanic is slightly different since I think you had to wait a little before crouching in Halo 2.

19. MacedoniaMafia

MacedoniaMafia Ancient

I can do them consistently as well, but it takes too much effort compared to Halo 2's lockout which makes them less fluid to gameplay.

20. PwnsauceAddict

PwnsauceAddict Ancient

I don't know if this is what you are refering to:
    [​IMG]

but it looks to me in the bottom that the bridge keeps going and that you can jump on to it...

Other than that though this is spectacular and i'll download it for sure. Great job on the remake