Sandbox Ods3

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Casual Maps' started by Rifte, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Rifte

Rifte Ancient

ODS3(recommended 16 players)

You are an ODST. Your ship has been hit hard by the covenant and is quickly descending. You and 3 other ODST's in your squad must get off the ship onto hostile territories. The covenant control this area in large numbers. The only way to get off is with an ODST drop pod. You drop descending quickly. A rescue vehicle is coming for you in 5 minutes, but the covenant are coming fast towards you. Your goal is to survive for 5 minutes, and so the fight for survival begins...

Description
    ODS3 is a fairly basic infection with a basic theme of survival. You are an ODST, ad you have to survive for 5 minutes, while the covenant do anything possible to stop you. This game is very quick paced, much like Left 4 Dead, but much easier for you to die. It requires that you have constant vigilance. So far as I've noticed, the people who have lived the longest are the ones who are ressourceful, do not wander around, use the radar to the full advantage, and stay together. Being tactical does not include running outside and trying to kill as many covies as possible. Staying inside the house, using anything you can to your advantage, and constantly moving will get you through.

ODST Instructions
    When the game begins, if you are an ODST, you will spawn in a sort of cube and see human weapons, and an ODST drop pod. From there, you must quickly pick up your weapons, and get the hell off using the drop pod. THE DROP POD WILL EXPLODE IN 30 SECONDS OF THE ROUND START, DO NOT TRY TO CAMP(Drop pod instructions will be listed below). Your goal is to survive the full 5 minutes. It is very challenging.
    Spawn
    [​IMG]

Covenant Instructions

When the game begins, if you are a member of the covenant, you will spawn in a tunel, and all you have to do is walk down the tunnel until you reach a teleporter. That will take you to the covenant base. There are a selection of weapons and vehicles there. Also in the base, are two teleporters. They will both take you closer to the buildings where the ODST's are. Your goal is to kill the ODST by any means necessary.
    Spawn
    [​IMG]
    Tunnel and teleporter
    [​IMG]
    Base(after 2 minutes a wraith will spawn)
    Now I know what you're going to think. OH great, an armory! This is gonna suck. It won't. The weapons aren't overpowering, and sometimes there won't be any left. There are also only 2 fuel rod guns that take longer to spawn.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Teleporters
    [​IMG]
    Left one takes you here
    [​IMG]
    Right one takes you here
    [​IMG]

Overview screenshots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Drop Pod Instructions
    1)Enter the drop pod
    [​IMG]
    2)There is a merged pallet holding it up. Smack it until it breaks. Then, walk around until you pick up an overshield. That will realease the drop pod.
    [​IMG]
    3)The pod will drop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note that the drop pod will never ever stay together to the bottom. The chances of it happening are slim to none. But when it does happen, the impact will most likely kill you.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Player Traits

ODST

Shields=none
    Damage Resistance=1000%
    Damage Dealt=150%
    Primary weapons=Battle Rifle
    Secondary=Magnum
    Speed=100%
    Graavity=150%
    Vehicles use=none
    Forced color=black
    Sensors=Enhanced mode/25 meters

COVENANT
    Damage resistance=90%
    Shields=normal
    Recharge rate=100%(normal)
    Primary=Plasma Pistol
    Speed=110%
    Grravity=100%
    Vehicle use=Full
    Sensors=Allies only, 25 meters
    Forced color=blue

CUSTOM POWERUP/ELITE LEADER(COVENANT ONLY)
    Duration=90 seconds
    Damage Resistance=150%
    Shields=Unchanged
    Damage= 150%
    Speed=150%
    Gravity=75%
    Sensors=Enhanced mode/25 meters
    Forced color=Gold
    Note that the maximum amount of times the leader elite will be available is twice per round, and he will have a way point that the even the ODST's will see.

Gameplay Video:
    Footage of TheRiNgLiNg, the person who got it the furthest during testing.
    YouTube - ODS3-halo 3 firefight map gameplay
    If you want to see better quality go here. It's already been rendered. I added some music from campaign for the hell of it. Adds to the mood? And Marty O'Donnell is amazing.

Thanks to aMoeba for rendering!

Testers/Thanks to/Extras
    Testers
    -cycletop
    -mike 286
    -F3AR F1SH
    -MultipleBadge
    -Ragbrai
    -TheRiNgLiNg
    -chickenpox902
    -DrDrebert
    -SpamRabbit
    -All the other +5 guests

Special thanks to aMoeba for rendering the video.

If you don't have the recommended 16 people, and for example say only have 13, just change it so that the number of zombies at start is say 10 or 11 if it feels to easy/hard.

Comments/ constructive criticism would be appreciated. If you have any questions simply ask with a comment. Sorry this was so long.
    DL links
    Gametype:First Drop

Map:ODS3

By:rifte gifle

Updates: July 24/09-Turret can only be used by the ODST once it is broken

#1 Rifte, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. Rifte

Rifte Ancient

Action Shots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 Rifte, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  3. Treehuggerulez

Treehuggerulez Ancient

Looks good, but you shouldn't tell people what to do, they should have to figure it out by themselves.

4. SpamRabbit

SpamRabbit Ancient

...this isn't a puzzle map, people should know what they're supposed to do before playing it. Although this is a very straight forward game, some parts confuse people speecaly the drop pod.

Overall, this was so much fun. I had a blast testing this with all those people The only problem I had it with it was that the weapons sometime are all used, so you have to walk into the battlefield to find some, even though it;s not too hard. What I loved the best about this was being the odst. Fighting off wave after wave after wave of covenant forces is very exciting. I remember when I tried caming in the corner of sandbox and was raped from running out of ammo. The aesthetics I don't feel truly need to be worked upon. They don't really affect anything, and to be honest they're fairly unoticeable. But nice job with the geomerging anyways, I thought it was pretty cool

Gameplay: 5/5, I loved it. The only reason people die was from wandering astray. It was very quick paced, and exciting. I could never make it past like what? 2 out of the 5 minutes?

Aesthetics:4/5,
    some of it is messy, but I don't think it really needs to be improved on.

Replayability:5/5,
    it's different evry time, and whe you get better and better, it's so much fun.

This is a great map, and worth a download. But I expect people to look at the ODST drop pod the most :p

#4 SpamRabbit, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  5. Xang

Xang Ancient

Ahh.. Saw this in map preview section and i have to say the whole game looks quite tactical and well forged. Covenant place looks quite good along with the building. Althoguh even though it does not seem to mess up gameplay i still feel that some parts of the map are a bit messy, though i think you were aiming for the run-down kinda feeling right? Anyways good job, i`ll get a party together and play.

6. Rifte

Rifte Ancient

I was actually trying to go for that look, that's why a giant part of the wall is missing in the ODST base. The covies base is messy I will agree, but nothing that interrupting, and when you're focused on killing someone or surviving, you won't recognize them at all.

7. Belly391

Belly391 Ancient

to be honest, when i first saw the map preview it was ok, but now. it5s better than i expected. the drop pod is a neat idea. mabey if you made a v2 you could include more pods from them to drop into the batttle with.

8. Loscocco

Loscocco Ancient

You are aware that the Covenant have drop pods too...right?

but do the drop pod systems respawn? If you can only drop once, I would suggest spreading more drop pods around.

Also, I think that the map is pretty open. I think that you should try to create a city (some buildings accessible and some that arent...) and have people drop across the city without radar. That would be a good idea in my opinion.

9. Rifte

Rifte Ancient

It's in red for a reason. And yes, it would normally be able to respawn. But you can't get back inside the ship. And yes, I'm fully aware that the covenant have them as well. You sure you read the thread?

10. TheFakeAngatar

TheFakeAngatar Ancient

I think he meant that instead of everyone dropping at once, there are multple HEVs.

11. TrustierToaster

TrustierToaster Ancient

Wow I didn't even notice that it was geomerged when I played this, now that i see it it looks sick.

At first when I played this map, it was very meh, but I guess that's how all infection maps start. But as I got in the drop pod, I realized that this map would be both special and different. The game is so quick, the first time I played I died in less than a minute as the ODST. When I watched your video and saw the odst get stuck, i was like .... and thought it would be easy. Ooberly wrong on my part. The only part that I didn't like about the map is maybe the roof didn't have enough cover. Between the wraith, the banshee and the onslaught of elites pooling in, I needed something! Anyways, the layout of the base is good, the big empty place where the wall should be makes it harder for the ODST's, gives more entrances for the elites, and overall gives a better gameplay experience. I recommend this map to anyone who likes playing infection in a different way. Btw lol, I noticed that most people in the video and pictures had ODST helmets on but only one of them was an elite and he became the leader a few times. :p I lol'd when that guy got laser'd at the end, what a shame he lasted so long.

#11 TrustierToaster, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  12. Tigger

Tigger Ancient

This firefight map is amazing, I LOVE the drop pod idea. The base looks like it needs a bit more cover though, since the covenant has wraiths, banshees, fuel rod cannons and such.

13. mike 286

mike 286 Ancient

Let's recap on what you've made so far. 2 obstacle courses, 2 minigames, a rocketship, a conquest map, an earthquake machine, and now ODST drop pods?

Best firefight map yet, easily. All the other ones don't really capture the feeling of trying to survive againts hordes of enemies contionusly rushing towards you. I feel sorry now that I left before I got to test when there were lots of peopl.e, the video looks sweet. I remember how many versions you went through and this is definetly the best in all aspects. You should have gotten a video up of someone who died in the first 30 seconds haha. The best thing about this map is easily the gameplay, if you have a lot of people and they're not stupid and try to kill as many covenant as possible. i think this is one of the only few survival games where you actually must make an effort to survive, awesome job this is your best map yet, you're definetly getting better at forging. And if I am correct this is the one you spent the most amount of time on.

14. thrame

thrame Ancient

OMG

great map truely cool i have not been here long but that is the most appealing map so far i give it a 4.8/5 astetics aren't the best but dont need to be changed i will definatly download if only i had enough good freinds to play these cool maps

15. Dak393

Dak393 Ancient

Great looking map I would love to see other game types on this map like you talked about in your other thread ie: rescuing the VIP (one sided vip where round ends when you get the vip to a destination in the air using a hornet vip can't use vehicles round ends when vip dies or reaches destination), waiting for rescue (could make territories that start high in the sky and slowly get lower by setting order on and making them switch after a certain time and when it got down to the top of the base it could allow odsts to get in vehicles like a hornet or just have one territory high in the sky, the hornet spawns at 180 and falls down from the sky box all odsts must be inside the territory or set it to lowest on the team and it ends the round when they score so many points. Just make it one sided so the covenant don't get it. If you want to keep that infection game play on other game types you could make a box/ many boxes (one for each team -the covenant) some where and have team changing on so once you die your stuck in the room unless you switch teams and become covenant. Does not work for people just joining the game and you may want to add in some way to kill them or a periodic fusion coil to prevent camping it may just be an honor rule. Man that was some rant well um message me back on what you think.

#15 Dak393, Jul 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  16. EliteSlayer

EliteSlayer Ancient

Looks quiet good, I will give it a try. The idea with the drop pod is great. I love that part about it. My only concern is that some parts do look a little sloppy, but other than that its great(4.4/5). I have finished my Halo3 horde(Firefight) map as well and if you would like to see it, follow the link...
    Click: http://www.forgehub.com/forum/casual-maps/79609-sandpitt-halo3-horde.html
    Look at it and tell me what you think.

17. What Now

What Now Ancient

question...

Hi i saw this video on youtube so i followed the link with information and decided to joined this site. when i was playing it i couldn't use the turret unless it was broken wen i was an odst? is this normal? if not how do i change it

18. Rifte

Rifte Ancient

The turret was too overpowering, so I made it so you needed to brake it first to be able to use it.

lol... 4 days in and the map has 250 dl's. Fastest time yet for any map I've made so far.

#18 Rifte, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  19. What Now

What Now Ancient

k thx. Now I have another question. actually more of a suggestion. After you drop, the drop pod respawns right? But it causes lag for some reason during online so maybe if it were just set to not respawn it would be better. I really like this map btw.

20. Rifte

Rifte Ancient

Oh really? Hm. I never actually noticed that during online, but thanks for telling me... it didn't happen during testing. I'm gonna guess and say that it's because of the drop pods re-merging, and they're unstable and will probably merge into the walls which during the process causes lag. It happened to me before when I was making the drop pod but that was during a local game.

I'm probably not going to change it though if it's something that little and rarely happens. Besides, the lag is only there for a few seconds. If it's really that much of a problem just change it yourself, but thanks for telling me again.