Sandbox Oasis

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by BIGGnelson, Mar 31, 2009.

1. BIGGnelson

BIGGnelson Ancient

Description: A large map built on ground level of sandbox built using unique structures made for all gametypes.
    Reccomended Players: 4-16

PICTURES!

Here is an overview

[​IMG]

Another Overview
    [​IMG]

The fountain sniper tower, the waters have grown weak if only there was a way to "regenerate" them
    [​IMG]
    The Regenerator bunker
    [​IMG]
    The key to the fountain
    [​IMG]
    Defensive Base
    [​IMG]
    Offensive Base
    [​IMG]
    Sniper's Cliff (accesible by teleporter)
    [​IMG]
    Banshee spawn and tele to snipers cliff
    [​IMG]
    The bunker
    [​IMG]
    Middle Area contains shotgun
    [​IMG]
    Ring with laser
    [​IMG]
    Gravity Hammer tunnel and other structure
    [​IMG]
    Sniped from fountain
    [​IMG]

Download Oasis
    If you have any suggestions please tell me there isn't much i can do to this one and i know some of the structures seem random but they are fun to play on and in my next map i will try to follow a theme

Criticize and Comment

Special Thanks to DirtyHairy for giving me ideas and dropping items out by the guardians and making me spend hours trying to retrieve them, and all other testers​
    Edit: I have made minor changes to map for example one guardian tower was not un blocked and bubble shield was on instant respawn I also have changed power weapon respawns to fit appropiately

#1 BIGGnelson, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. HunTedMeat

HunTedMeat Ancient

Wow.This is just incredible. I love what u did with the geomerging and also the 'regenerate' the fountain idea. The map itself seems very balanced and i cant find anything wrong with it. Even the vehicles look quite balanced.I'll DL this for sure.5/5!

3. abandoned heretic

nice looking map looks like some time was spent on this also good job for making it asymmetric most people make symmtric maps you have some good ideas in this map to looks good for larger parties

4. Black Magic105

Black Magic105 Ancient

how do you geomerege on sandbox

5. blackandblutoo

blackandblutoo Ancient

ITs a really good map the fountain is awesome great forging. The bases and bunkers are really cool too. I only dislike the gravity hammer. The map is too big and weapon based to have a gravity hammer. But the overall map is a 19/20 because I dislike the grav ham. Good job!

6. Gunnergrunt

Gunnergrunt Ancient

Its super easy to merge in the sand. I use a technique i like to call "sand-merging." All you do is spawn an object and spin it around in the sand, preferrably on its corner. After a few seconds, the item sinks into the sank. Then, position the item how you want it, then save and quit the game. That easy!

As for the map, i like the broken pillars. In foundry, that was hard to get away with. If you tried to make something looked old and brokem, it just looked like sloppy forging. So its nice to see you take advantage of that. And i'm glad this is set for all gametypes. I'm curious as to how CTF will work, seeing as there aren't two distict bases. But i like the map, great job!

7. Yyzyyz

Yyzyyz Ancient

Great map, though I do not get regenerate the fountain

anyways 5/5

8. uralllame

uralllame Ancient

Wow, looking good. Replace that gravity hammer with a golf club and I'm there!

9. JoshRicks

JoshRicks Ancient

Looks AMAZING i LOVE the fountain and the fact you geomerged with the sand. 5/5 but the one thing you could improve is the grav hammer... the vehicle look well balanced as well as the bases. NICE JOB!

10. s3anz2

s3anz2 Ancient

Looks awesome, I didn't even know you could geomerge sandbox. I'm definitely going to try it when i'm back home. I like all the unique structures and the way you made some of it look kinda like ruins, especially the geomerged blocks.

11. BIGGnelson

BIGGnelson Ancient

What would you suggest I I use instead of the gravity hammer on a side note there are plenty of weapons to take out vehicles and there is a shotgun to counter gravity hammer
    CTF has the flags at the offensive base and defensive base i think that a sniper and 1 or 2 guys to stop vehicles would be important here

The regenerator activates the mancannon duh lol hence the "Regenerate" in quotes

oo and thanks for your support im glad you like it i might consider making another with more of a theme since this one is just tons of different random ruins.

Oasis party tonight send me a message or somthing and i will invite you no specific time because im not sure when i can get on for sure i might be busy but we can play this map as well as other sandbox maps i havent gotten a good chance to play fun customs on sandbox because no firends have it so lets get together tonight.

#11 BIGGnelson, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  12. Manoukian1414

Manoukian1414 Ancient

I like the way you made the ruins and how you created the fountain. Ussually when people make ruins, it looks sloppy but this doesn't. 5/5

13. Kion FH

Kion FH Ancient

This is absolutely incredible! 5/5 It's amazing asthetically and everything about it is beautiful. I have no critism. Just have to give you my props. Feature?

14. The Cheat

The Cheat Ancient

Wow, this definitely looks to be one of the better Asymmetrical maps on Sandbox here at Forge Hub.

You've got alot of unique looking structures, and utilized many items in Sandbox's palette.

The Interlocking and Geomerging look quite clean, and it's nice to see that those techniques are only being used when they're needed again.

I really only have one gripe about the map, and that is that you've placed teleporters on the map..

Teleporters are known for breaking up the flow of gameplay on many maps, and should really only be used when they are needed.

In this situation, the teleporter takes players to an area that is out-of-the-way, and not entirely important.

There doesn't seem to be any weapon spawns either, so a few merged blocks would have given the same result as a teleporter, without breaking up map flow...and, it just looks more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

I cannot download at the moment, but when I can, I will play a few games and give you a full review.

15. BIGGnelson

BIGGnelson Ancient

When I placed the teleporter I was trying to make the ruins on the hill have a weak point for the sniper I realized that this sniper had a very nice vantage point on the fountain and the opposing side of the map needed a way of taking him out I may make some minor changes when i get a chance to get a big team custom on this so far ive only played 8 players and it worked out well

You should test with me tonight and i look forward to your constructive criticism

16. Manoukian1414

Manoukian1414 Ancient

hey i was wondering how did u make it so that you can only get into the sniper tower using the regenerator?

17. BIGGnelson

BIGGnelson Ancient

Okay i was building this fountain and then i realized o no the man cannons arent strong enough to get you up there but i then remembered a long time ago when budhacrane made a map where the regenerator activated a grav lift and basically the regenerator extends the reach of the gravity lift/mancannons reach. thats the best i can describe it.

#17 BIGGnelson, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  18. abandoned heretic

like this map it plays good to and looks great maybe next time we can get more people playing on it

19. Lance001

Lance001 Ancient

Impressively original. Love the ideas, especially the ones utilizing geomerging. Very well done, mate. =)

20. Black Magic105

Black Magic105 Ancient

Oh wow i didnt know that. Thanks and thats so much eaiser