No Hope Act 2: The Streets

Discussion in 'Reach Casual Maps' started by Rifte, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Rifte

Rifte Ancient

NEW VERSION OF MAP POSTED- Version 2 fixes
    *Unbreakable
    *A teleporter that spawns at 80 seconds will send any starting building campers to a watery grave

[​IMG]
    Creators: rifte gifle, mike 286
    Recommended players: 10-16

The Story so Far...

As the infection continues to spread even further across the globe, you and the other few survivors of the virus have successfully managed to escape the depths of the sewers and have climbed to the momentary safety of the top of an office building. One of the survivors have claimed that there is a military outpost on the other side of the city. Though many of the survivors are doubtful, this might be the only option. The city itself has already turned into an inhospitable hell, bodies litter the ground and death at every corner. It would be unlikely that the military keep their assets in a lost zone for any longer. Traveling across the city would be both too dangerous so the only other option even worth considering is by boat- travel across the lake safely, land on the other side and make a break to the outpost. An accomplishable plan in theory, but now the hard part? Reaching the boat.

The Survivors
    [​IMG]
    Though stronger than the regular infected, it won't take too many hits before you're down. Remember that you don't have a radar and can still be assassinated so stay together, watch your backs and keep health packs handy.

The Infected
    Regular Infected
    [​IMG]
    Though generally weak alone, it won't take too much to take these ones out. What these guys don't have in strength however they have in stealth and agility. Fast and always aware of your location, when they start charging en masse start praying.

Tank
    [​IMG]
    Mutated by the virus, these things can dish out just as much damage as they can take. Remember to combine fire on this infected or you'll find yourself as one of them pretty quick.

How many players?
    Although the map is normally set to 4 infected at start, this is meant for a party of 10-16. If your party is not of that size, don't hesitate to lower the number of infected zombies to your preference.

Objectives
    Survivors
    The goal for this is not to camp and get as many kills as possible. While there is a scoring system, the No Hope campaign is meant to be played as a linear level much like you would see in Left4Dead. The objective for the humans is to get from the begging of the level to the boat at the end. The following the guide to get to the end as the humans.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You will all start off spawning on the roof. You can't jump down or you're dead so you need to walk down to the streets. Watch out for zombies and be sure to collect weapons along the way. You have 80 seconds to get out of the building or you will die.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You're now on the streets. Continue walking until you've hit a warehouse- the first holdout area. Watch the skies for death from above and don't stop or you're dead.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You've reached the first holdout area. You must wait until 1:40 and a ladder will spawn. Use the ladder to get to the roof of the warehouse. Once there, jump into the warehouse from the opening. Again, do not stop. To use the ladder, go in between the two walls and just start jumping repeatedly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Once in the warehouse, use the warthog to get through the barricaded door leading to
    the dock. From there, get onto the boat and survive the remaining time. Remember- you don't win unless you are on the boat when the timer runs out.

Infected
    Your objective is simple- kill the humans. To aid you is a teleporter system used to getting around the map quickly. As the humans progress through the map, some teleporters will close and new ones will spawn. Ramps will also spawn to aid you in getting to the survivors easily.

[​IMG]
    Spawn room initially.

Gameplay Video
    YouTube - L4D No Hope Act 2: The Streets

Strategies
    Humans

• Stay together, there is safety in numbers. Do not go ahead of everyone else and do not linger. Both will only lead to death.
    • Keep your backs against the walls. You can still be assassinated and you don't have radar. Cover each others backs.
    • Combine fire against the tank.
    • Always check corners and watch for the rooftops. Be quick but stay alert.
    Infected

• Use the rooftops and objects as cover. Humans do not have radar so go for the assassination.
    • Charge together. This makes it harder for the humans to kill you, charging in alone will lead to nothing.
    • When you get the tank, charge in with other people or use them as distraction. Going in alone will only lead to death from combined fire.

Comments
    Well that's it for Act 2 guys. The original Act 1 was made in Halo 3 and although full of bugs during initial release, there is an unreleased edited version that plays well which is what Act 2 is based mainly off of. The map overall took mike and I 8 or so hours, not including testing. Acts 3 and 4 should be coming out fairly soon and I'm actually planning on remaking Act 1 for Reach to have the full campaign playable, so keep your eyes out for that and I hope you enjoy this!

Additional Screenshots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 Rifte, Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  2. pUn15h3r

pUn15h3r Ancient

Looks good Rifte, gave it a download. I'll post again after I play

3. Jflood

Jflood Forerunner

that looks like good fun. I usually have a lot of infection custom games lobby's so i am going to have to download and have my mates play with it.

4. Kittenpaste Company

Kittenpaste Company Forerunner

I absolutely love your presentation. Definitely downloading this - had my first taste of Infection today and this map being made for it is just 'yum'.

5. MetaFridge

MetaFridge Forerunner

If only you'd released this last night :( My and some friends do an 8-man system link every now and then, and this would've been perfect.
    It looks fantastic, loving the crashed falcon - and the death from above paranoia sounds awesome :D
    I r very look forward to the next instalment.

6. Zow Jr

Zow Jr Forerunner

It's seriously about time someone did this. Rifte this looks amazing and gameplay seems sweet. O love the aesthetics in this and it seems you made what looks like a ladder you can climb up or something at 2.45 in the video. Can't wait to play it. OH and nice L4D music in the video.

7. Sayber70

Sayber70 Forerunner

Gave it a download and had a few games. It is very fun to play so congrats. When will part 3 be released? and will you be making any other campaigns after this one?

8. Rifte

Rifte Ancient

Part 3 will be coming out soon as will part 4 and a part 1 remake. I'm not sure about any other campaigns after this though.

9. Xang

Xang Ancient

I loved playing this map with you Rifte, Its by far one of the best infection games I've ever played. The fact that its a team based game rather then just going around by yourself and killing zombies really makes it something special. Really looking forward to part 3 and your remake of part 1!

10. its LEB

its LEB Forerunner

This looks really fun. I liked how you created a story line to go with the struggle. I was just wondering whether there is any real motivation ( other than the storyline) to get to the boat. It would still probably be great without this, it is just that i fear that if I play with my friends, someone would probably just be camping be hind trying to get kills. It would also be nice if you could make the scoring system benefit someone who did the objectives and made it as far as they could. Also, what does the game mode do?

11. Deathscythe

Deathscythe Ancient

just a suggestion but couldn't you of put a safe haven on the boat to motivate people to get there?

12. Rifte

Rifte Ancient

There isn't really any motivation, this is one of those... wait for it... play for fun maps without a real goal. There is a scoring system though I don't see many people actually pay attention to it. You get an extra point for surviving the entire game though.

I tried using safe havens but they always went around randomly and if you only had one, once you got to it it would just repeat "hill moved" over and over which is annoying. I would've used safe havens but Bungie dun goofed. It'd be fantastic if you could get points for reaching the safe havens.

The gametype is there to make the game balanced. Using deafault infection for this won't work at all.

#12 Rifte, Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  13. NlBBS

NlBBS Forerunner

I finally got to play a couple rounds on this (only with 6-8 people), and after changing the zombie count a bit, we found that it was an amazing infection map that played just as it should. I'm keeping a sharp eye out for the other parts in the series.

14. Neoshadow

Neoshadow Forerunner

Something I need to point out before commenting on the map: Your post is amazing. That picture at the start is fantastic.
    As for the map, the gameplay is great. I need to compare this to the Left 4 Dead campaign level. That level was horrible. This level is fantastic. The forging is clean, the map is balanced for both Zombies and Humans, and there were no gameplay issues.

15. Rifte

Rifte Ancient

Yeah, there is no longer any % initial zombie count so changes must be made manually. Thanks anyways though.

16. Loscocco

Loscocco Ancient

I spy myself in the video :D

It was an amazing gametype to test and I stronly encourage you to keep working on more L4D maps! While it did seem like a HUGE b***h to get past the streets (after getting down the spawn building), it does show how team oriented this map and gametype really is. I had the most fun in Reach customs yet because of that map and anxiously await the next one!

17. GrimHippy 666

GrimHippy 666 Ancient

Looks really interesting :) Although I can't help but think that the survivors should be limited to 4? Looks like a big group you had in the video, isn't it a bit overwhelming for the Infected?

18. Graybes

Graybes Forerunner

I tried out this custom game the other night and it didn't go smoothly. A few of the humans never left the spawn area and from what it looks like, new teleporters show up and old teleporters get blocked in the infected spawn. None of us could figure out how to get to the people who never left the human spawn since the teleporter to that area went away.

Did we miss something?

19. Rifte

Rifte Ancient

Nope, it's supposed to be a big group of humans to start off. The infected just have to keep getting them little by little and overtime it becomes easier for the infected to get to you and more humans become zombies to the point where it becomes challenging to survive for the remaining humans.
    You are supposed to keep progressing through the level. Read the thread, it says that the way this is meant to be played is by getting from the beggining of the level(rooftop) to the end(boat). The reason why new teleporters spawned and some become blocked is to lessen confusion. As the humans progress through the level, old teleporter nodes become useless and so new ones spawn that take zombies further up the level closer to where the humans should be and the old one blocks off so you don't go through them on accident.

20. Spongejerk

Spongejerk Forerunner

Is the Falcon supposed to be flyable...because it is.