newbie question

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by kiero, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiero

kiero Ancient

Hi guys,
    First of all hello to everyone my gamertag is Kiero Munkeh and I come from Scotland. I am new to the forums as i have only truly discovered forge and its wonders with the release of sandbox. Yes i know I am a bit behind the times but now I am trying to catch up fast.

I have just created my first map on forge which i am quite proud of. I have no illusions that compared to most maps out there it doesn't rank very high but it is my first map and thus i am quite fond of it. BUT i am having a bit of a problem. The only thing i have left to do is ensuring that all the start & spawn points for each type of game are in the right place. I have laid out my ctf ones as the map was mainly designed as a ctf map but when i try to place any more it comes up with the message "Could not create object. Too many on map."

It won't let me place koth areas, start points for slayer, oddball points... basically anything that i require for other game types. I have gone through the forge 101 and i have seen the posts about unlimited items/budget but i keep confusing myself. I was hoping someone with a bit more expertise would be able to assist me.

First of all could you explain why when the items cost $0 I am unable to lay that item and then more importantly how do I get round the issue described above. If you could dumb down your answer and presume that I know nothing it would really be appreciated!!!

The map is finished and ready to play on ctf but before I put it on my fileshare I really wanted to make sure that the map could be played regardless of game type. Thanks for any help you guys can give me it is very much appreciated. I am now going to go read all the other forge 101 stuff!!

2. Wood Wonk

Wood Wonk Ancient

there is an item limit, once you hit it, no more items can be placed. you will have to delete some to place more objects.
    if you only have all the starting points and goals for ctf, that is all you can play.

3. STWOW

STWOW Ancient

Yea that thread in forging 101 is outdated.... and budget and item limit is different. You could have 1000$ left but, not be able to place any objects. Equally you could have 0$ and still not be at the item limit (though you could not place any objects unless it was budget glitched) So like on other maps where the IL wasn't hit as often as the Budget (except on stupid Rat's Nest) you will just have to delete some items maybe like instead of having 2 spikers only 1 or things like that, that are neglegible. <---Spelled that wrong
    Also welcome to forgehub and I am looking forward to this so called map :p

4. kiero

kiero Ancient

Hi lawful chili,
    thanks for the response appreciate it. That's a shame i really wanted to make it compatible for all game types. Is there anyway to increase the item limit? Either properly or by glitching it?

EDIT: sorry stwow your response wasn't there when i responded. Thanks for getting back to me too. Unfortunately i have already deleted the unnecessary objects from my map :( . It looks like this is going to be a ctf only map. Oh well. My next map is going to be far superior as i have just learnt about interlocking etc. Anyway i will post it tonight in the map section and if you want to download it and take a look and give me any feedback it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

#4 kiero, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  5. lefty0904

lefty0904 Ancient

People have been trying to figure that out lately and no one has yet. But here's some advice for your next map. Use a canvas map and delete everything except the spawns, weapons, and objectives. You might have used one on the map you're working on now though if you've hit the budget limit. But if you didn't, use a canvas map. You'll hit the budget before you hit the item limit so you shouldn't have that problem.

6. kiero

kiero Ancient

Hi lefty thanks. Could you maybe explain what a canvas is and why i should use one. Or if someone has posted about it could you direct me there. Thanks though, I am really looking for advice atm so appreciate your help.

7. lefty0904

lefty0904 Ancient

Bungie.net : Halo 3 File Details

This is the one I used, just delete all the objects (boxes, columns, everything like that) and leave the spawn points, weapons, and objectives.

Oh and a canvas map for sandbox is just one that has all of the original items stacked to the side. On sandbox, all of the original items on the map count towards the item limit. But somebody found out that if you delete everything except for the spawns weapons and objectives that you'll hit the budget limit before you hit the item limit. I think there are budget glitched maps on sandbox too but I personally don't use them.

8. Wood Wonk

Wood Wonk Ancient

yeah, budget glitches on sandbox are pretty much pointless. and you might want to keep some of the objects. see, the default objects dont really count toward the total limit. so if you delete those, you can place like 300 or somethin objects. but if you keep them, you can still place 300 objects plus those. however, they have some issues with interlocking, so i would only keep objects that you know you wont be interlocking.

9. kiero

kiero Ancient

damn so if i had left the spawn points in at the beginning and then moved them upstairs when i had finished building i would have been able to place them about the map even though i had hit the item limit?? Peaving! Well at least i have learnt for the future. Thanks guys i am going to have a go at building another one just now... wait just noticed its like 0140 where i am... might go to bed instead.

10. STWOW

STWOW Ancient

yes sir, hope it helps for oyur next map, sorry about that broseph.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.