New Forge map announced - Forge Island [Gameplay]

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Elliot, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

I thought this might be the case, but to be honest I have pretty much no idea how Halo works at a code level.

Exactly my thinking. This isn't the first time people wanted stuff back, or something new added, so either it's demonstrably impossible or Bungie were very adamant about their decisions.

Exactly, it's basically just programming a cut scene to run in the background. A playable vehicle, even with my self proclaimed lack of knowledge, seems like a much bigger undertaking.

2. REMkings

REMkings BIOC
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Indeed, but that was more like a mobile turret. In my map I was really going to allow it to fly around or from point A to point B. Unfortunately it would never work with a Banshee, for multiple reasons.
    I will definitely create it if we get the Falcon back in Halo 5. This wasn't even the only map I was going to use it for. Not many people know but I've been working out concepts of minigames for ages and one or two of them involved Falcons. Too bad I had to scratch all of those plans after realizing how little we could do in Halo 4.
    So let's hope we will eventually get it back, if not in this game then in Halo 5. (The Hornet would still fit better than the Banshee in this map, and in general getting a UNSC flying vehicle again would be great, but I'd definitely prefer the Falcon over the Hornet.)

I've never understood why they felt like they had to take it out in the first place. Like Elliot said, even if it wouldn't fit in the Matchmaking maps, then why not just leave it in Forge for us to mess around with?

3. Aschur

Aschur Wubba lubba dub dub

Well, you know... The map is coming in a TU, not a separate dlc, it is completely possible that new weapons and vehicles could be packed in that TU. Not very plausible, but possible nonetheless.

4. Elliot

Elliot BIOC

True, but wouldn't an addition like that get mentioned at PAX East?

5. Noxiw

Noxiw Ancient

Hey, looks like I may actually begin forging again! :D

6. SpartanPeter

SpartanPeter Around the Block

Well... They could want to keep it a secret right? It is not impossible of course.

7. Audienceofone

Audienceofone Forerunner

Entirely possible, but imagine the hype they would generate. Something like that I'd imagine they would tell.

I feel like we're just hurting ourselves with these false hopes honestly. We've got a great new forge canvas with some new peices and some old ones coming on the way, I'd rather speculate that there may be erosion pipes here along with some good lighting. I 'm not fond of bring my own hopes up with air vehicle talk when we all seem to be aware it's probably not in the works. :p

8. MrGreenWithAGun

MrGreenWithAGun Forerunner

Is it true that there will be trees on the forge island canvas?

9. Audienceofone

Audienceofone Forerunner

Someone said that BS Angel told them, I think. No official statement.

10. MrGreenWithAGun

MrGreenWithAGun Forerunner

Well...

the plot thickens...

11. Berb

Berb Forerunner

According to one member on here, and a couple of voices on the waypoint forum, yes. Trees would be cool, as long as there is more than just one generic tree. I would prefer 3 or 4 to choose from, because all trees looking the exact same would just look stupid.

12. DC

DC Ancient

I highly doubt that.

Just not trying to get my hopes up.

But, it's very possible, like treyarch releasing a new weapon was.

People have said it's way to much to program.

I don't think so.

Adding a weapon = new 3d model, new animations, new hitbox along with other stats that can be written in (rpm, recoil), sounds

Although adding a vehicle is probably a ton more work.. especially in halo where everything is embedded in a .map file (idk how CoD embeds their stuff) but you'd need a new model, collision physics, explosion and destruction physics and visuals, sound, animations to get in, get out, land, take off, etc.

I'm no programmer but something like this seems like alot of work, which I think 343 should think of doing to get more hype and attention.

But I have no reason to even assume a new vehicle on the new forge map.

#152 DC, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  13. M0aHerder

M0aHerder Forerunner

343i already have at least one vehicle nearly completed from before launch, and another one (which is mentioned in the code a couple times in the same build as the video) is also probably pretty close to being done, and is a UNSC flying vehicle. There are a few weapons that modders have uncovered that are nearly finished as well.

So it's still a definite possibility, but if any new vehicles are released they're much more likely to come with another season of Spartan Ops than Forge Island.

14. Zombievillan

Zombievillan Ancient

Trees?!

No more rock walls, now it's MLG wood walls!

15. Berb

Berb Forerunner

Definitely. Well, we now know what's going to be in the middle of every featured map, don't we?

16. J DawgMillenium

J DawgMillenium Promethean

Are you kidding? There are much better ideas that can be forged with the addition of trees (Hint: think of a black man chasing you through a forest).

17. Berb

Berb Forerunner

A) Trees would cost probably 100-200 budget, due to the fact that they are much more expensive to render than block pieces and are very irregular. (the one on Ridgeline cost 250)

B)Having an entire forest would cause mad framerate issues

C)Slender would be impossible, due to the conditions of the original game. It was not based on proximity, but mainly visibility.

Allthough, a good predator gametype could be made using trees.

18. J DawgMillenium

J DawgMillenium Promethean

Hear that? That is the sound of my dreams being crushed.

19. Zombievillan

Zombievillan Ancient

Whats disappointing to me is that they appeared to use wall coliseums as flooring...

Could we not get one freakin piece that is that big and flat without having the ridiculous looking edges?!... sheesh

20. REMkings

REMkings BIOC

It's really easy to manipulate them ín such a way that they'll look different. Look at Favela Run.

That video gave me bad memories about the Spartan Laser in Halo 4. :(
    But that pimped Revenant looked pretty cool, although I would've preferred seeing the turret up front; I've always liked the Brute Prowler.

Don't worry, there are more ways to build a forest in Halo 4, or something that looks like it.
    Oh well, it's not in the game anyway.

#160 REMkings, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013