New Forge Idea?

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by xItZ JENKiNSx, May 17, 2010.

?

So, is this a good idea?

1. Absolute fail, go die.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Not bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Good idea

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Great idea

13 vote(s)
    86.7%
  5. I`m still confused.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. xItZ JENKiNSx

xItZ JENKiNSx Ancient

On the many days of forging maps in Halo 3, I have had an amazing time creating competitive maps for the community, but the majority of the maps I have been reccomended - are lacking. So the past week, I came with the idea of the Default Photo. The DefaultPhoto is a picture of YOUR map when your are waiting in the custom games pre-game lobby. For Example, when playing a user created content from Sandbox, you only see a picture of the defalut Sandbox, but when you use the Defalut Photo idea via Forge, you would see a interiging part of your custom map. It works like this, you start a Forge game on Halo: Reach, then you got into edit mode and select Defalut Photo, once you select Defalut Photo, the HUD will change into a first person camera which will allow you to take a picture of your map.This idea will also let players see ahead of time if the map is a thing of beauty or a screaming, death trap. So reply to this topic with constructive critisim please.

2. Hogframe

Hogframe Ancient

I like it. Too often have I been tricked into downloading an ugly piece of -Blam!- because I couldn't see what it looked like ahead of time!

3. gskellig

gskellig Ancient

Awesome idea, there is nothing else to say.

4. PILGRIM

PILGRIM Ancient

Does sound like a good idea but your steps for doing sound very complicated. I think you could very easily just incorporate the pressing of one button. Such as the left analogue stick when in forge mode. This is much simpilar than what you are suggesting.

5. pinohkio

pinohkio Ancient

SO it would serve the same function as the map preview on Farcry 2? I like it.

6. B3NW

B3NW Ancient

Quite an old idea really tbh. This idea was implemented into far cry 2, but tbh the thumbnails were fairly small and didn't do some maps justice and gave some others to much justice. It's a good idea and as I said is old but it could do with a bit of improvement. I think a 3 frame shot would be better (AKA 3 photos in a rotation.)

7. LieutenantLambo

LieutenantLambo Forerunner

Idiots who can't get a good overview of the map or get the best part of their horrible map.

The idea is good on paper, but adding any extra work to an already stressful process (Forging is buggy and unpolished. So much, in fact, that every map on ForgeHub has to use glitches just to get good reviews) will make people get lazy and just take random pictures.

8. LD

LD Ancient

It would not save you from downloading shtty Maps, since some people managed it to make their bad Map look good on the Preview Picture in FarCry, but still it would be great and a step in the right direction for Bungie in order to make Forge a Map Creator, not a Map Editor

9. pyro

pyro The Joker

I heard something about this before, rumors that Bungie might add it as part of their new custom content storage interface.
    Allowing any screenshot to be used for the map seems more likely though.

10. ROFLwaffleP133

ROFLwaffleP133 Ancient

Even if idiots did take crappy (or deceptive) screenshots
    for their maps, would you rather yourself remain completely
    blind to any of the map's content?
    If somebody took a picture of a wall or their spartan firing a weapon or another pointless screenshot, wouldn't you think twice before hitting the download button?

I think it's a fantastic idea, The only issue being a slightly longer download.

11. Ladnil

Ladnil Ancient

It would allow you to differentiate between maps of the same title, or recognize a map you know but forgot the name of. Great idea.

12. buddhacrane

buddhacrane Ancient

Good point. Even outside from the "advertising" aspect it would still be a useful tool for the community. I like it!

As pointed out, Far Cry 2 did this so it's not entirely beyond the realms of possibility.

13. Elliot

Elliot BIOC
    Forge Critic Senior Member

that sounds good but i bet people would abuse it and put stupid things on :(