Remake Necropolis

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by Celic, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Celic

Celic Forerunner

Necropolis - In the heart of this Forerunner structure, another battle rages

2-12 Players (FFA and Team Spawns including multi-team)

Supports:

Team Slayer
    Team Oddball
    Capture the Flag (Multi-Flag)
    New - Headhunter
    New - King of the Hill
    New - FFA Slayer
    New - Multi-Team Slayer
    New - FFA Oddball

Hello everyone, this is my attempt at recreating one of my favorite Mythic maps from Halo 3. The map itself is located in the coliseum of ForgeWorld and is elevated to have the natural ceiling that the coliseum has.

[​IMG]

The center platform which has the rocket launcher spawn is accessible from each DMR/Needle Rifle spawn via a Normal jump. You can also Crouch jump from rocket spawn back to the DMR/Needle Rifle spawn. This was changed in order to preserve the original jumps.

[​IMG]

The bases have 6 initial spawn points for each team but the depth and length of the bases had to be modified due to the width and length of the coliseum. There are also other spawns for FFA and multi-team throughout the map.

Coming out of each base, you are greeted with the SMG spawn being replaced with a single AR at each side. Again, you will notice a slight difference in dimensions and geometry from the original though it does not affect gameplay from the original as these areas were rarely 'hot spots' for combat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a simple view of the DMR/Needle Rifle area in which the majority of combat takes place. The columns are all at 45 degree angles which allow you to walk up them just like in the original.

[​IMG]

Replacing the Brute Shot and the Bubble Shield on each side is a Concussion Rifle and a Drop Shield armor ability. The above screenshot also shows the hallway in which Overshield is located.

[​IMG]

Finally I present you with the sight-line from Sniper spawn to Shotgun Spawn.

I chose to leave off the boxes at the DMR/Needle Rifle spawn due to that area being slightly narrower than the original. Also, the plasma batteries at the top of each base were not included due to not having a tall and vertical piece that would react similar to how it did. I hope you all enjoyed the visual tutorial, I would embed a video but I'm afraid I don't have any render minutes or a capture card.

Weapons on map:

DMR - 6
    Plasma Grenade - 8 (30 second respawn)
    Needle Rifle - 4 (45 second respawn, 2 additional clips)
    Frag Grenade - 4 (30 second respawn)
    Plasma Pistol - 2 (30 second respawn)
    Sniper Rifle - 2 (120 second respawn, 2 additional clips)
    Shotgun - 2 (120 second respawn, 2 additional clips)
    Needler - 2 (30 second respawn, 2 additional clips)
    Spiker - 2 (30 second respawn, 2 additional clips)
    Plasma Repeater - 2 (30 second respawn)
    Concussion Rifle - 2 (60 second respawn, 2 additional clips)
    Drop Shield - 2 (60 second respawn)
    Overshield - 2 (180 second respawn)
    Assault Rifle - 2 (30 second respawn, 2 additional clips)
    Rockets - 1 (180 second respawn, 0 additional clips)

I have included new pictures of the v1 changes I made. Rocket platform is now accessible from the DMR areas through a normal jump. Getting back to the DMR areas requires a crouch jump (like the original). I removed the FX from the map to brighten it up a bit. I added 8 FFA initial spawns as well as a pair of initial spawns for Green, Orange, Purple, and Yellow teams. I added KotH, and Headhunter to supported gametypes. Please download and comment on the new additions and let me know which one you guys liked better.

#1 Celic, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  2. Scrappy T

Scrappy T Forerunner

This is a pretty good remake, looks alot like the original but thats a good thing. And im glad to see someone else liked Citadel. That was one of my favorite maps from halo 3. lol too bad not many other ppl like it i dont think.

3. Dragull

Dragull Ancient

Two things:
    1- Take pics on custom games, not on forge.
    2- Remove the FX effect.

4. DMM White

DMM White Ancient

Dragull, FX = effects. Eff-ex... effects. Yeah, its a sloppy abbreviation but you still don't say FX effects.

Anyway, I did actually download the map so I can give you some helpful criticism.

I'm not keen on maps which assign spawn points to a specific team. You should be able to find some Halo 3 spawn placement guides but for a map like Citadel I'd have 3 respawn zones to control spawning; one for each team, each covering half the map, and a neutral zone which on Citadel would cover the spawn points in the central rocket room.
    You may also want some neutral starting points for FFA

Can you jump straight in to the base on Citadel? Here's an idea, if you put some railings along that wall the players can still jump out but players can't jump in and have to come in through the door.

Hmm, I'm starting to list all the jumps now!
    Another one is from the Rocket Platform to the upper rooms. In Citadel you can do it with a crouch jump. You can include this jump with 5x1s (63.5, 218.8, 54.6 and the same for blue side)

But the geometry is looking good. I like how you built it up at the ceiling, I haven't seen many people do that. Not sure why, its a sensible idea.

5. Celic

Celic Forerunner

@ Dragull, I chose to have the FX on the map so it would look more like the original Citadel. Without the FX, it just looks like a bunch of blocks thrown together. Also, I took the pictures from Forge so people could see the spawn points. I couldn't find any videos of Citadel which showed the spawns so I dusted off my H3 disc and used bungie's heatmap with photoshop to locate spawns.

@ DMM White, I appreciate the feedback, I may use your idea with the 5x1's slanted at 45 degrees downward to replicate the jumps. My intention was that it would make sprint a good choice for a loadout rather than everyone using armor lock. Also, you could jump right into the bases without using the doors at sniper spawn, it provided an alternate route for the flag carrier to come through OS and jump into the base from there.

I may make an 'MLG' version of this that does not include the shotgun areas (which were blocked off in MLG FFA) which would allow me to expand the DMR/Needler areas back a little bit and allow me to make it true to the original. I just wanted to get the map up for the Forgotten Treasures contest before the deadline.

6. Jimbob J

Jimbob J Forerunner

I like the way you have it now, just a little curious. You have 2 drop shields on the map I'm guessing to represent the bubble shields. Do you not have a drop shield load-out as a default one to choose from?

7. LETHAL BLOW

LETHAL BLOW Forerunner

Hey great job on this awsome remake. Citadel was actually one of my fav. maps in Halo 3. It just had a really competative edge to it. The combat was allways intense on it, and everyone was fighting for the rocket launcher to gain power over the other team. I am very glad now that you have brought that same feeling to Halo Reach. I can't wait to get some friends togeather and play this fine map.

Remake Value: 5/5
    Aesthetic: 5/5 ( doesent really apply because this is a remake)
    Thought out design: 5/5 ( Remakes usually take a lot of thought to make)
    Well Forged/Neat: 5/5
    Total: 100% A+
    Great job on this map! you did an amazing job, and I encourage you to keep making more maps!

8. SPOC

SPOC Ancient

The attention to detail makes this a great remake. This is my second sentence.

9. rbenhase

rbenhase Ancient

I think you did a nice job, and I haven't seen any other remakes of this map yet.

DMM White's advice would be really helpful, I think. But other than the spawn points and perhaps a few discrepancies in scale (which I personally don't notice but DMM White apparently did), I think this is a stellar remake.

The FX is okay, but it does make things a bit dark. Is it really that bad without it?

10. WitDarkstar

WitDarkstar Ancient

Only looking at your pics, because I can't dl and play at the moment, it seems you don't have windows on one side of the map.

This was a huge visual indication to figure out your orientation on the map. Without them players could get confused and lost on a map with a layout like this. If you added windows as the walls to one of the base like in the original, I think it would provide a much better visual reading.

11. Celic

Celic Forerunner

Well, I'm in the process of reconstructing the entire map from the middle out. I realized how important jumps are and by recreating them, it adds depth and width to other areas. As far as adding windows to one side, I have every column (strut) on the map colored to the respective sides and there are 2 lights on the map. I am still back and forth about the Next Gen FX, I kind of like it on the map.

12. 4shot

4shot Bloodgulch

This actually looks better than the last one I downloaded. I think I pretty much underestimated you as a map maker, Proflame.

13. Reggie Freakin Wayne

I love it!! There may be jumps missing, but this map seems very true to the original and it looks amazing. Don't get discouraged.... I look forward to version 2.

14. Celic

Celic Forerunner

v1 updated and in fileshare. Pictures reflect changes to lighting as well as structural changes to keep jumps in tact.

15. Megadoug

Megadoug Forerunner

Dude this looks EXACTLY like Citadel. Ignore all the people who say it sucks or to remove the FX. This is a perfect remake. Totally downloading right now!

16. Dragull

Dragull Ancient

Started a game, spawned outside the map.