Sandbox Murphy's Law

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Kiloh Ekim, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Kiloh Ekim

Kiloh Ekim Ancient

Murphy’s LawNature always sides with the hidden flaw

Recommended players: 2-8
    Recommended Gametypes: FFA, Team Slayer, One-Sided Objectives

Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and do so at the worst possible time. The rule of nature certainty applies when fighting for you life high above the sands of Sandbox. Murphy’s Law, an asymmetric fighting ground constructed in the Skybubble, pits players against one another on a simple, multi-leveled field. When paired with FFA, Small Games of Team Slayer, or one-sided objective Gametypes, the map’s asymmetric design really shines.

Inspiration

This map takes its main design cues from (and it may sound crazy) an impossible figure. BOLL’s Enigmatic Observation (pictured below) provided a series of ideas that I saw and said “Hey, that would be fun to play on!” Getting the design right was challenging; three versions on Foundry and five on Sandbox and a finished product is finally ready.

[​IMG]

Weapon List

Battle Rifle x2
    Assault Rifle x2
    Carbine x1
    Plasma Pistol x1
    Magnum x1
    Rocket Launcher x1
    Brute Shot x1
    Sniper Rifle x1
    Shotgun x1
    Energy Sword x1
    Needler x2
    Plasma Rifle x2
    SMG x3

Frag Grenade x4
    Plasma Grenade x4
    Active Camo x1

Pictured Description

The map presents players with a wide path, twisting its way up, level by level, from one base to another. Meanwhile alternate routes, jumps, and catwalks provide numerous choices of gameplay to suit every style. In this way, the previously straightforward map is made intricate without the problems of clutter or roughness.

[​IMG]

Winding along an un-railed strip of the map, and hanging under bridges, a lone strip of catwalks leaves only feet from instant death, yet frequently grants players a respite from carnage and a new angle of attack.

[​IMG]

A lone stone platform hangs over the side of the map. A leap of faith is all that separates the brave from the rockets.

[​IMG]

An unnervingly thin walkway leads to a well-placed sniper spot. The benefit of this vantage is only counteracted by the fusion coils gently glowing on the ground there.

[​IMG]

In an alcove, under the bridge, on a devilishly thin plank of wood. You know you want it.

[​IMG]

A blue haze covers an area frequently drizzled in red: the shotgun spawn.

[​IMG]

Special Thanks

I’d like to thank all the unofficial testers, in particular terminator182, for constructive criticism and patience. Also, for inspiration and general origin, I tip my hat to BOLL.

Entanglement

Murphy's Law is the second map in the Entanglement Map Pack released by N1NJA MERC. This map pack is an attempt to innovate design through maps that still use Halo in a conventional manner. Old table, new ideas.

Download : HERE

2. TurretFrog

TurretFrog Ancient

I saw this on HBO not to long ago. I forgot to DL then, so now I'm glad to get a second chance. I really like the merging, its quite clean. To bad you couldn't get all the cat walks and what not from the original design. Still good, though.