Sandbox MLG Vestige

Discussion in 'Halo 3 MLG Maps' started by tanks, May 29, 2009.

1. tanks

tanks Ancient

MLG Vestige v3 (Updated)

[​IMG]
    ^Click for an overview.

6/17/09: VERSION 3 COMPLETE (with lots of changes).
    See Changelog below for details! I still need testers! Message me or F/R if you want to help test it.
    I consider this the "final" version of the map, with only small changes/tweaks from here on out (if at all).

Please post your comments to keep this thread alive! Thank you to everyone who has helped me test it thus far!

[​IMG]

"MLG Vestige S/C" = MLG Vestige Slayer/CTF
    "MLG Vestige A/K" = MLG Vestige Assault/King of the Hill
    Download the Map (Slayer/CTF Map)
    Download the Map (Bomb/King Map)

Click here to Download MLG TS
    Click here to Download MLG CTF Ons
    Click here to Download MLG Bomb
    Click here to Download MLG King

Changelog:

Version 3 changes:
    - Rockets removed in center and replaced with 2:00 Active Camouflage.
    - Created a second variant of the map with MLG Bomb and MLG King settings. This version DOES NOT HAVE A CAMO! Camo was too powerful in center with the bomb spawn and one of the hills being spawned there.
    - Semi-major changes to Dark/Light base structures. See screenshots below. Opened it up a lot and made it flow better.
    - Replaced center jump-up with Block Talls. This helps the map to flow better, and the jump is no longer awkward.
    - Re-did CTF spawns. After some testing, they seem to be holding up well.
    - Changed the Ring 3 jump-ups to have less cover and better flow. In addition, there is much less cover and less advantage to holding Ring 3.
    - Plasma grenades moved to be underneath the Dark/Purple bridges.
    - Small aesthetic fixes including more removal of z-fighting.

Version 2 changes:
    - 4 Frag Grenades now instead of 8 before.
    - Added jumps to "Ring 3" (so you can get on top of center structure).
    - Added path to get on top of Dark and Purple Bases. See screenshots below.
    - Some Z-Fighting cleaned up as well as other small aesthetic fixes.

Ves·tige
    Pronunciation: \ves-tij\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin vestigium footstep, footprint, track, vestige
    Date: 15th century
    Definition (1): a trace, mark, or visible sign left by something (as an ancient city or a condition or practice) vanished or lost.

Recommended Gametypes
    :

This is an MLG map designed for use with MLG rules. It has been set up and tested for optimal use with the MLG TS, MLG CTF, MLG Ball v5, and MLG CTF Onslaught game variants.

Map Description:

This is the first map I have posted and have spent a significant amount of time on. When I set out to make a map, I decided to build off of two of my favorite classic MLG maps: Sanctuary and Warlock/Wizard; if you like either of those maps, you will love Vestige. This map is not a remake of either map, but you will notice elements of each of them both aesthetically and in the way the map "feels." Though they are great maps, MLG Onslaught, Amplified, and Lockdown all have a very similar look and feel, so I wanted to create something totally different. I spent about 15 hours designing it in SketchUp, and roughly 40 hours forging it/updating it.

Important Note: The flag spawns are in the top center of the Red and Blue bases.

As you will see, I was very intentional about making the map easy to call out. There are essentially 4 bases: Red Base, Blue Base, Purple or Light Base, and Dark Base.

It plays seamlessly as far as I have tested. I worked many painstaking hours (40+) to get rid of every bump, crack, and exploit; as a result, it plays very fluidly and is also aesthetically clean. There are a few flickering interlocks here and there, but they are on ceilings and in places where you won't see them in normal gameplay. Vestige is fast-paced and plays similarly to Amplified, Sanctuary, Warlock/Wizard, and Onslaught. There are a few tactical jumps designed to give higher skilled players a slight advantage, to encourage sneakiness, and to give players more movement options.

I feel that Vestige strikes a very good mix of long, mid, and short lines of sight, making the Sniper Rifle and Rockets powerful, but balanced by a good BR and team-shooting. There are several power positions throughout the map, each having multiple attack routes. The map is intuitive to set-up on, and spawn control is difficult except for highly skilled teams; this does not result in frequent "bad" spawns. I used respawn areas to try and keep spawn camping to a minimum and to encourage set-ups and teamwork.

My favorite features:

- Red-to-Blue snipe shot (see in screenshot "Red Base Snipe Shot" below). I specifically designed one very long, relatively narrow line of sight that makes it possible for a sniper standing at top red to snipe the flag runner about to score at top blue (and visa versa). This creates an awesome opportunity for clutch snipes and many intense moments.
    - Sniper windows. You can stand at these windows and snipe people, and if you crouch your head is completely safe. You can jump up into each window, which has proven through play-testing to be a significant traffic area.
    - Spiral staircase. The center has two spiral staircases similar to Sanctuary's center. I think they look really cool and create an interesting element to battle in the middle. You can also crouch under the lowest stair, which can be used as a hiding spot.

I appreciate any feedback positive or negative and any suggestions for further improvement. I consider the map finished, but am open to suggestions especially regarding respawns and weapons.

Weapons & Powerups:

1x Active Camoflage; 120 second respawn.
    4x Battle Rifle
    2x Carbine
    2x Sniper Rifle (1 spare clip); 180 second respawn, Drop Spawn
    4x Frag Grenade
    4x Plasma Grenade

Updated v3 Screenshots! Click the pictures for larger versions.

Screenshots:

MLG Vestige v3
    [​IMG]
    Click Picture for a Larger Version

Running Flag down Front Blue
    [​IMG]

Blue 1 and Blue 2!
    [​IMG]

Epic Battle at Blue 2 for Blue Flag
    [​IMG]

The updated Purple/Light Base
    [​IMG]

Red Base
    [​IMG]

Battle for the Ring
    [​IMG]

Sniper down at Back Dark
    [​IMG]

Escaping from Ring 2 to Light Bridge
    [​IMG]

Blue Base
    [​IMG]

Red Base Snipe Shot
    [​IMG]

Tactical Jumps:

Blue/Red 2 to Mid 2
    [​IMG]

Front Blue/Red to Dark/Purple Bridge. This jump doesn't look quite the same as in the screenshot, but it is still possible and much easier now.
    [​IMG]

Again, I welcome your comments. I am proud of this map and am eager to see how the community interacts with it.

#1 tanks, May 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  2. Duckman620

Duckman620 Ancient

This looks like probaly the best mlg map in the crypt ive seen so far. Nice job. I relly like the weapons you cjose for this map. Im seeing the rocket launcher being a very key item to really lock down an area of the map or break the other teams setup. But still not being to overpowering. Purple and dark base look very cool looking and i like how you connected them to top middle i think that will help the flow of the map a lot. Good job 5/5

3. Fruitbat7

Fruitbat7 Ancient

wow. this map is amazing. as far as i can tell the forging is asthetically perfect and the gameplay looks solid as well. nice job man 5/5 download for sure

4. Hey Its Landon

Hey Its Landon Ancient

This map looks very cool. You see a lot of Sandbox MLG maps lately and many aren't so great but this looks really good. I really like the bases and your post was written nice, your title was also cool. You got a download from me sir. Great job.

5. Rho Fs

Rho Fs 2x2 Forge Judge

Agreed. I said to myself as i was looking. "yes yes yes". I wasinteruped of course by a that's what she said but not the point.

I love the map. Probably que it. I love the multi levels of gameplay area and design of the bases. From the looks ill give it a 4.5/5. Not bad. Ill dl and tell you what i think. Good work

6. ehand88

ehand88 Ancient

Ok first of all, that spiral staircase is awesome. Like you said, I can tell that you have put alot of time into this map. Everything looks smooth and well placed. I even noticed some geomerging ;D. I always set out to make my maps nice and smooth, but i get too impatient. Tactical jumps are always a plus also. This map looks like it could work with SWAT as well. Very nice over all, 5/5.

7. Dragull

Dragull Ancient

wow, I should visit the MLG session more, this maps is absolutly awesome, I love it. You should also posted in MLG site.

You could make a non-mlg version of the map and posted in the competetive forum, would make more views.

8. tanks

tanks Ancient

Thank you all for the feedback so far. I am happy it has been well-received so far.

You mean mlgpro.com?

What would need to change for it to be non-MLG? Equipment? AR spawns? KotH areas?

9. Dragull

Dragull Ancient

Basically equipments and more weapon. I do like MLG, I always play on MLG playlist, but the people I play custom with dont like MLG, they like to use lots of weapons and thinks such as Sword, Flamethrower, Shotgun, regenerator, etc...
    But its up to you, its not really necessary...

By the way, I walked around the maps. It's pretty incredible, maybe a little too open for 4x4, but it must be great for 2x2.
    Great map, I'm going to keep this one for sure.

Yeah, more people will know about the map.

#9 Dragull, May 31, 2009
    Last edited: May 31, 2009
  10. jujumonster

jujumonster Ancient

The floor seems a little too open. I don't like how you can see the opposite base from your base while looking through the window in ring. You should move it to side a bit.

11. iEquin0x

iEquin0x Ancient

Im digging this map
    DL'd

12. tanks

tanks Ancient

Yeah, this was something that has concerned me from the beginning. I am very near the OLN, so any kind of cover I add can't be too complex. If you have any suggestions let me know.

You mean you don't like how you can see from top red to top blue base? I don't see the particular problem with that, especially in light of highly successful maps like Onslaught and Amplified (both of which you can see the other team immediately from spawn).

Thanks for the feedback again guys.

13. jujumonster

jujumonster Ancient

But those maps don't have snipers on them and they're generally more fast paced. While for this map it would result into camping.

14. tanks

tanks Ancient

The sniper rifles don't spawn near Red or Blue base. Also, there is no way to spawn camp someone spawning in blue base from red base with a sniper rifle, no spawn points are visible.

This map is very fast paced. It plays similarly to Amplified and OnSlaught. I would need a few more opinions on this matter before making such a significant map change.

Thank you for your input though.

#14 tanks, Jun 1, 2009
  15. tanks

tanks Ancient

Sorry for double post. Its been 2 weeks and no one has said anything, plus I just came out with a major update. Don't ban me. :(

VERSION 3 COMPLETE!
    SEE ORIGINAL POST.I need help testing it, especially the new Bomb/King variants! Thank you to everyone who has helped testing so far. Please feel free to run customs on it with your friends and post feedback!

"MLG Vestige S/C" = MLG Vestige Slayer/CTF
    "MLG Vestige A/K" = MLG Vestige Assault/King of the Hill
    Download the Map (Slayer/CTF Map)
    Download the Map (Bomb/King Map)

Click here to Download MLG TS
    Click here to Download MLG CTF Ons
    Click here to Download MLG Bomb
    Click here to Download MLG King

Version 3 changes:
    - Rockets removed in center and replaced with 2:00 Active Camouflage.
    - Created a second variant of the map with MLG Bomb and MLG King settings. This version DOES NOT HAVE A CAMO! Camo was too powerful in center with the bomb spawn and one of the hills being spawned there.
    - Semi-major changes to Dark/Light base structures. See screenshots in first post. Opened it up a lot and made it flow better.
    - Replaced center jump-up with Block Talls. This helps the map to flow better, and the jump is no longer awkward.
    - Re-did CTF spawns. After some testing, they seem to be holding up well.
    - Changed the Ring 3 jump-ups to have less cover and better flow. In addition, there is much less cover and less advantage to holding Ring 3.
    - Plasma grenades moved to be underneath the Dark/Purple bridges.
    - Small aesthetic fixes including more removal of z-fighting.

#15 tanks, Jun 17, 2009
  16. T Cal

T Cal Ancient

This looks like a very good mlg map. my team will probably like this. we'll have to try it out

17. TKS x MoNsTeR x

TKS x MoNsTeR x Ancient

Wow.. this is one of my favorite MLG Sandbox maps yet!
    I love the bases.. they all look very unique, simple, and effective.
    Great map!

18. Trix

Trix Ancient

wow great map and very smooth. I have run a few customs on it and I love this map! very neat and the map has a good flow to it. it is a definant download for anyone who runs MLG customz.

19. FORGING2PERFEKTION

wow very nice mlg map.
    i like that you interlock alomost all of your objects.
    maybe htere is a little bit too much space at the bases.
    you could for ex add a wall or something.
    but overall very well done map.

20. tanks

tanks Ancient

Thanks for the feedback guys. If anyone plays the King of the Hill or Bomb variants I'd love to hear your feedback; so far no one has.